Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Air in rear shocks

Looks like we are coming into spring and the roads are clean enough.
Since I haven't been on the bike yet, I was wondering how much air I would need to pump into the shocks.
I am 260 lbs and no passengers. I realize that's enough weight....
Gonna get my dealership to do this since he has to do the wiring recall anyways.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Start with 20 psi and go up or down from there.

I would get a zero loss pump and do it yourself unless you want to take it to the dealer everytime

Last edited by redjay; 03-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Mine is set at 15psi from my local dealership. Im 240lbs and its never bottomed out riding solo. The zero loss pump is a must have if you change from solo to two up and back alot. They cost around 50 bucks at your dealership.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

I run mine at 20 with mostly 2-up riding. You can get a zero loss on fleabay pretty cheap.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

My dealership told to get a zero loss pump.
I won't be doing 2 up riding so having him put me at 20 pounds should be sufficient for my big bum.
Thanks for setting me on the right path.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Top Contributor

You should check them every couple of weeks

Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Advanced Member

They can hold 43 lbs. ....all depends on how you like to ride. I don't like a mushy ride, but rather, a firm one and I weigh about 220. I always keep 35 lbs. consistently in my Vaquero shocks for the firmer ride and also because I like the handling of the big bike, and I have always been one to fast corner. The 35 lbs. gives my bike great cornering clearance and stability in the turns. I have my dampers set at position 4.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

You have a Yamaha Fz1. I have absolutely no idea How much air you should run in the shocks.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:34 AM   #9

I HAD a FZ1.... OldSchool,
Now I am the proud owner of a 2015 vaquero.
I guess I better update my profile.
Thanks HLK for reminding me about the dampers.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #10

I run 41. I like a firm ride.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Right...firm well controlled ride. When the bags get loaded and the pack goes on the back for a road trip. the big Vulcan goes to 40 psi each.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #12

Do you seriously need to check every couple of weeks? I haven't checked since I bought the bike in November and don't notice any change in ride comfort (including great 165 mile ride yesterday). I ride 2-up occasionally and didn't notice any issues then either.
I know it is easy to do but I think I would be satisfied with one pressure that works for any conditions. Whatever that pressure may be.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #13

No one has mentioned it, but you are supposed to check the shock pressure with the rear tire off the ground. I don't know that really makes any difference, as long as you are comfortable with the pressure you have.

Don't know if having the bike upright vs. on the stand would make a difference in getting equal pressure in both shocks, but this might be where some folks have gotten unexpected tire wear patterns from.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Advanced Member

If the bike is upright is may get your reading for the shock pressure a little more accurate. I put mine in the wheel chock and upright it to level, then check the pressure and place about 35 bs. in each one. They hold very well and give me that nice firm but still compliant ride. And.....you always check pressure with the weight of the bike firmly on the ground. If you raise it up, it stretches the shocks out and you will not get an accurate reading, as it takes all the pressure off of them.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #15

In looking over the manual, it does say to raise it off the floor. I am a highway rider, so it seems to stay at around 30'ish and with the dampener at at 2, I should be pretty good.
Thanks guys for keeping me in the know of comfy riding.
Southern Ontario weather is cooperating, so I should be on the road within the week.