Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #31

Great little Toy

I agree with Wolfman on the open carry. I remember hearing about a town in Texas where there is a city ordinance that every citizen of the town must own and carry a firearm. The crime rate there is almost 0.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #32

Great little Toy

Wow, that's harsh wolfman. Will definitely pray for your family.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #33

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Great little Toy

Man Wolf....I hate to hear about this!!! I am with you too about the open carry!! When I was growing up...everybody had a gun they either carried...or was in the car... not to mention how many they had in their houses. That was a different generation though. Everything has become more controlled, while the criminals have gotten more ruthless!! Regardless or laws, I think people have a right to defend themselves no matter where they are.... as I'm sure we all know, there is NO such thing as a "fair fight"....so anyway you can protect yourself, I'm all for!! We've had numerous discussions on guns/carry...etc... so I won't go into all of it again...if somebody wants to know, they can look it up... but I believe in the rights people have with guns and don't think we need any more laws to constrict the law abiding citizen!! Just like the war on terror... I feel it's time to take the war to the criminals as well!!! It starts with punishing criminals severely...not just a slap on the wrist!!

Anyway...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for this nightmare!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #34

Great little Toy

Wolfman;Sorry to here about what your sister inlaw went through last night. Things like that can sometimes really mess people up. I hope she is going to be OK. My sympathies go out to your family's. You are certainly proof that it pays to know how to protect yourself and make sure your loved ones also know how to react in such situations.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #35

Great little Toy

markg I read the article that you mentioned. He said that he was shooting at 10 yards, thats not a long distance but most self defense shootings take place at 10 feet or less most at arms lenght. I would like to see the difference it would make if used a much more realistic distance. If some one is trying to car jack you he is very likely within 5 feet or less. I did enjoy the article though as he brought up many of my concerns with that particular weapon it is definately an up close and personal piece as are most short barreld handguns.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #36

Great little Toy

That was my first thought too. 10 yards would be the exception.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #37

Great little Toy

Oh I am aware of the distances. With today's creeps running in packs, the subsequent shots may be farther away. I take into account vehicle safety glass, heavy clothing, and other factors that may limit bullet penetration. The numbers on the judge just didn't add up to anything I would consider for serious self defense.

The alleged car jacking (similar to the video) was done at about 15 feet off the passenger side. The opposing mini-van driver wasn't nearly as good tactically as he thought. They had tried to come up on the left side and missed. Before his buddies could jump out the side door the driver saw the .45 leveled at him. It was cold out and his window was closed, mine was down. The realization that they had not picked a victim was interesting. His expletive confirmed they weren't lost and going to ask for directions. They sped away and shut the side door of the van as they took a corner on two wheels. Several seconds later they remembered to turn on the lights. Unfortunately I did not get a plate and made sure I went the other direction. I count my blessings that I was not forced to shoot.

The next morning, being the radio system manager, I checked where all the PD units were located that night. My closest help was over five minutes away. Under ideal conditions the average PD response time is four minutes. As joesnomad and others probably already know it is usually over in less than 30 seconds. A minute is a lifetime. While I was able to give the guys a general description the creeps have never been found.

One final piece of advice and I will get off my soapbox. Like the MSF courses, if you are going to carry get some training from the professionals. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, and several other schools are scattered throughout the US. Myths abound and just like riding these courses will prevent serious mistakes.

I sympathize with Wolfman's family. I don't wish that kind of experience on anyone. I do hope everything works out. I know my own department has a victim assist unit that will refer people to various counselors. Consider discussing the option about seeking professional help, with the sister-in-law, if she has trouble getting over it.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18