Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleam View Post
Is there a way to fill the shocks with air properly without having one of those hand pumps? Can I rig something up with parts from Princess Auto, like the locking air fitting and that sort of thing?

I gave it a go with the normal tire stuff but I see what people mean now when they say not to do that. I think I got it to within about two pounds by turning the regulator on the compressor way down, and trying to account for that little bit of blowby when you put the guage up to it. But I've read that it has to be within 1/2 of a pound, which I won't be able to do. Should I leave them both empty until I get the tool?

I plan to make a new thread as a build log to show what I was able to do. I'm nearly done the bike.
Not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel here. As you point out, darn near impossible to get the shocks even with a reg hand pump or compressor not to mention possibly blowing a seal using the compressor ( it's a tiny air chamber ).
$35 should get you a decent zero loss hand pump and they have a large scale gauge that is easy to see exactly what you pump in, a button to let air out at a controlled rate as well as zero loss as you unscrew it. No fuss no muss, couple of minutes per shock and your done.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Not sure why you want to reinvent the wheel here. As you point out, darn near impossible to get the shocks even with a reg hand pump or compressor not to mention possibly blowing a seal using the compressor ( it's a tiny air chamber ).
$35 should get you a decent zero loss hand pump and they have a large scale gauge that is easy to see exactly what you pump in, a button to let air out at a controlled rate as well as zero loss as you unscrew it. No fuss no muss, couple of minutes per shock and your done.
I dont have any problem with air loss on that little 12v pump,and its steady enough not to blow any seals. I dont know how small the air chamber is,but the first time i pumped mine up from 0-40psi,the back of the bike jumped up about 2 inches.I also dont think anyone could detect any difference in the handling of the bike,with just a couple of psi inbalance.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I dont have any problem with air loss on that little 12v pump,and its steady enough not to blow any seals. I dont know how small the air chamber is,but the first time i pumped mine up from 0-40psi,the back of the bike jumped up about 2 inches.I also dont think anyone could detect any difference in the handling of the bike,with just a couple of psi inbalance.
How do remove your 12 v compressor from the schrader valve with no air loss Mick. Almost all lose some air as the hose is removed. Granted most folks would not feel the difference a couple of pound difference between shocks but I am also betting the accuracy and graduation of a gauge on a 12v compressor leaves a bit to be desired. My zero loss is graduated into 1/2 lb readings. All I am saying to the original poster is while he is dicking around trying to invent something more accurate with a compressor and spending a few bucks doing it he might as well buy the tool that was made for the job.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #79

Quote:
How do remove your 12 v compressor from the schrader valve with no air loss Mick. Almost all lose some air as the hose is removed. Granted most folks would not feel the difference a couple of pound difference between shocks but I am also betting the accuracy and graduation of a gauge on a 12v compressor leaves a bit to be desired. My zero loss is graduated into 1/2 lb readings. All I am saying to the original poster is while he is dicking around trying to invent something more accurate with a compressor and spending a few bucks doing it he might as well buy the tool that was made for the job.

It doesnt press the valve in when its clipped on,so no air is lost when i realease it.You are probably right about the accuracy,but that will be the same for both shocks i reckon.If its not,then as we both agree,a couple of lbs aint going to matter.I also agree with your comment to the original poster about dicking around.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #80

I am with CNC and Mick. I picked up an HD shock pump reasonably priced and there are others out there that won't break the bank.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #81

Gleam, check these out,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+pump&_sacat=0

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post

It amazes me how much credence is placed on a couple of pounds of air pressure in the shocks of some blokes bikes, who mostly ride in straight lines once in a while anyway.Those poxy little hand pumps are not going to help you out when you just fixed a puncture on the side of the road mate.Get a 12v plug in on your bike,and carry a full repair kit.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #83

Quote:
It amazes me how much credence is placed on a couple of pounds of air pressure in the shocks of some blokes bikes, who mostly ride in straight lines once in a while anyway.Those poxy little hand pumps are not going to help you out when you just fixed a puncture on the side of the road mate.Get a 12v plug in on your bike,and carry a full repair kit.
And who says we don't? I carry my shock pump for the shocks, a 12v pump and plugs for tires, a booster pack for the battery, and plenty of tools. If all that fails my insurance includes road side assist that will bring me gas, give me a boost, send a locksmith, or a flatbed tow truck, I think we pretty much have it figured out over here Mick.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #84

Quote:
And who says we don't? I carry my shock pump for the shocks, a 12v pump and plugs for tires, a booster pack for the battery, and plenty of tools. If all that fails my insurance includes road side assist that will bring me gas, give me a boost, send a locksmith, or a flatbed tow truck, I think we pretty much have it figured out over here Mick.
You certainly do.But why carry 2 pumps.How long are you gone before you get twitchy about the 1/2 pound difference that you might have between the shocks.As i have said before,you would'nt know if you had a 10lbs difference anyway.Where's that bloke with the zzz's ?

Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #85

Quote:
I have all that and .397 gallon of gas with me all the time. I'm on a lot of single lane forestry service roads that have next to no traffic during the week except for the logging trucks. I want to give myself the best chance of getting home if something happens.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #86

Quote:
Right on, right on! For trips I do that, not around town. I have the Stop and Go kit and have used that and the 12V pump to help others out. I have yet to have a flat on my own bikes(s). The mini booster packs are awesome. I used it recently to jump a vehicle and it worked great. And "secretly" I carry some SAE tools to help with those "other" bikes.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #87

I don't worry about the air in my fear shocks anymore. The progressive 412 HD shocks don't have any to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #88

Quote:
You certainly do.But why carry 2 pumps.How long are you gone before you get twitchy about the 1/2 pound difference that you might have between the shocks.As i have said before,you would'nt know if you had a 10lbs difference anyway.Where's that bloke with the zzz's ?
Because Mick not all my rides are single day trips.
Some folks over here travel for days and weeks over our vast continent of straight roads. So my stuff is always on the bike and ready no matter if it is a day ride or several days ride. I do check and adjust my shock pressure quite often depending on if I am alone, have a load of luggage and / or my wife aboard with even more luggage.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Right on, right on! For trips I do that, not around town. I have the Stop and Go kit and have used that and the 12V pump to help others out. I have yet to have a flat on my own bikes(s). The mini booster packs are awesome. I used it recently to jump a vehicle and it worked great. And "secretly" I carry some SAE tools to help with those "other" bikes.
Your gonna get a reputation as a Good Samaritan!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #90

Quote:
Because Mick not all my rides are single day trips.
Some folks over here travel for days and weeks over our vast continent of straight roads. So my stuff is always on the bike and ready no matter if it is a day ride or several days ride. I do check and adjust my shock pressure quite often depending on if I am alone, have a load of luggage and / or my wife aboard with even more luggage.
Get over the 1/2 pould difference mate.I cant imagine it being a life changer,left or right.

Tags
carburetor, new member, swingarm