Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Even then, you have to come back to the heat. When I go on road trips like the Orofino rally, I spend the night someplace like Flagstaff or Show Low on the way back, so I can get back home before it really gets hot. Unfortunately, that strategy didn't work coming back from Crescent City, I rode all the way from Riverside to Phoenix in well over 100 degree heat, it was 113 in Palm Springs and just got worse from there. That was the most grueling 300 miles I have ever ridden.
Scott

I know we do not get the heat you do but I feel your pain.

Last year on my return trip from the Estes Park Rally I rode 800 miles in one day.....in 100+ heat. It was 104 in Salt Lake City.

Right in the middle of my ride a certain buddy of mine.....I won't mention his name...let's just say he was a LL umpire, rides a Victory CCT, and is into Blue Leather...anyhow he knows I am melting in the heat and feels so bad that he texted me a pic of an ice cold margarita...!#/##$=% :mad::mad:
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #17

Having had a Heat Stroke in 88..on I 40 west of Needles Calif. my thermometer read 137 degree's(f) and I was inside a front loader cab..I'm screwed for temp's above about 90 degrees since then.

Last year I bought a "Cooling Vest"..you soak it and wear it..I usually wear a long sleeve cotton three button T-shirt...then the soaked-cooling vest ..they dont drip- and a long sleeved multi-pocket cotton shirt over that...

Last summer I was able to -survive- riding in 100 degree + temps (I wont say its comfortable..but it's "tolerable" and inside the outer shirt, the vest stays wet, from fuel stop to fuel stop..

In reference to cactusjack's trip from Riverside to phoenix.. In 1967 I was friends of the guy that owned Ontario Honda...he had a repo 450 Honda in Phoenix...and a Beech Bonanza (200 mph aircraft)..He flew myself and one of his bike mechanics to Phoenix..we checked out the bike and headed west -two up !..the boss went back to the airport and took off for Ontario..

We got passed one time on that ride..by a big red 18 wheeler..and we were going around 120 ....We beat the boss back by 15 minutes !

Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Scott

I know we do not get the heat you do but I feel your pain.

Last year on my return trip from the Estes Park Rally I rode 800 miles in one day.....in 100+ heat. It was 104 in Salt Lake City.

Right in the middle of my ride a certain buddy of mine.....I won't mention his name...let's just say he was a LL umpire, rides a Victory CCT, and is into Blue Leather...anyhow he knows I am melting in the heat and feels so bad that he texted me a pic of an ice cold margarita...!#/##$=% :mad::mad:
Not only were they ice cold, but darn tasty too.
VBA #1976
Bancroft,Idaho
2012 Electa Glide Classic
2003 Nomad FI(Past)

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #19

We stopped in Hannigan Meadow Friday night before getting back to Tucson. Left early Saturday and by the time we got down Devils Highway (awesome and I'd actually have to say, better than the NC Dragon because it's longer ... MUCH longer). By the time we hit Tucson, I-10 was over 100 and the radiant heat off the highway was probably pushing 110 deg. I wear a long sleeve T shirt, the sun can roast your arms, and a 3/4 helmet. We were glad to get off the road by 1:30 pm.

Yes, the heat is tough in the summer, but then again, there's 3 other seasons of riding here while most other places have two or even one. A buddy of mine, when we moved out here from NC told me, 'yup, you stay inside in the summer just like most other places stay inside in the winter'.
2010 Voyager - Wrapped pipes; Ivan ECU Flash; Engine Ice; Debaffled stock exhaust; Thunder Intake; Ray's throttle mod on Kuryakan grips; Pax floorboard extensions; cutdown windshield; VStar trunk rack; iPod adapter. Former 2003 1600 Classic. Vulcan guy for life !!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Kawasaki has been getting it right on the big v-twin baggers for some time now. They are great fun bikes to ride, look awesome, and are stone-cold dependable. I just put some fresh Kawasaki performance 20/50 lube in the crank of my '12 Vaquero and tomorrow setting out into the heat to ride on this bike's first long distance road trip. I am looking forward to it with the engine rumbling, stereo blasting, out through the eastern Oregon mountain country to the annual Hell's Canyon Thunder rally in Baker City Oregon. Should be a real hoot. I will take lots of pictures to share when I get back. Yea....Vulcans kick booty!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflan View Post
Just came home today from a 2900 mile trip from Arizona up to Yellowstone and back. The bike ran like a champ with two up the entire time. Never missed a beat, never a glitch. Plenty of power when I needed it through the many National parks we drove and carried allot of baggage. So glad I upgraded to the Voyager!
Yes Sir, I love mine always rode HD last one was a Street Glide. I was totally surprised by the Voyager the first time I rode it. Great bike!

2010 Voyager
2003 Vtx1800
Tecumseh 5Hp Mini-Bike

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

This has been a pleasure to read.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Just came home today from a 2900 mile trip from Arizona up to Yellowstone and back. The bike ran like a champ with two up the entire time. Never missed a beat, never a glitch. Plenty of power when I needed it through the many National parks we drove and carried allot of baggage. So glad I upgraded to the Voyager!
I have to agree with loving the vulcan, I rode my Vaquero from Oregon to Florida. 4-500 miles a day, and ready for more. The heat does take a lot out of you, but I got a cooling vest at cyclegear before I left and that makes a huge difference. Bike ran like a champ the whole way, except for the tank of bad gas I got.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #24

My Vaquero is my first V-twin. Riding 26+ years and it took me this long to finally get a V-twin. I love it! A couple weeks ago I jumped on my Vaquero here in Round Rock (just outside Austin) and rode straight through to Phoenix. Crossed New Mexico and in to Arizona in the middle of the night. Got to see the sun rise above Tucson. Simply can't describe the beauty. I can't think of anything I have ever owned that could have matched the Vaquero. Not one hiccup, not one wobble, not one noise. Perfection. I picked my Vaq up in January of this year with 723 miles on it, and 7 months later turned 15k. Absolutely NO buyers remorse here!
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, the heat is tough in the summer, but then again, there's 3 other seasons of riding here while most other places have two or even one. A buddy of mine, when we moved out here from NC told me, 'yup, you stay inside in the summer just like most other places stay inside in the winter'.
I'm a wuss when it comes to heat. I take summers off (July/August) and take it back up in September. June and September can be hot too, but it's usually tolerable in the mornings and at night. Like Ponch said, you can head north in the morning and don't come back to the valley until it starts cooling off agian. It's 8:00AM and only 80 degrees this morning. Might have to go for a ride.

Our riding season is just beginning IMO.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 08-29-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
My Vaquero is my first V-twin. Riding 26+ years and it took me this long to finally get a V-twin. I love it! A couple weeks ago I jumped on my Vaquero here in Round Rock (just outside Austin) and rode straight through to Phoenix. Crossed New Mexico and in to Arizona in the middle of the night. Got to see the sun rise above Tucson. Simply can't describe the beauty. I can't think of anything I have ever owned that could have matched the Vaquero. Not one hiccup, not one wobble, not one noise. Perfection. I picked my Vaq up in January of this year with 723 miles on it, and 7 months later turned 15k. Absolutely NO buyers remorse here!
Hey nipper, cherish that memory, money cant buy it mate

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzaius View Post
I have to agree with loving the vulcan, I rode my Vaquero from Oregon to Florida. 4-500 miles a day, and ready for more. The heat does take a lot out of you, but I got a cooling vest at cyclegear before I left and that makes a huge difference. Bike ran like a champ the whole way, except for the tank of bad gas I got.
drzaius. A Seinfeld Reference? If so I love it.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #28

Thumbs Up

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip from Long Island to Pittsburg then out to western Ohio. Great trip that is the farthest west I have had the Nomad. With almost 27, 000 miles I never even checked the oil I just got on and rode. I used to try and get best milage I can but since the fairing with the wind deflectors and lowers at 80+MPH two up loaded up I only get about 32mpg. On byways at 50mph I usually do much better around 37mpg. I stopped caring and just rock out with loud and clear tunes on the reckless fairing. Love all the positive comments.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
Just got back from a 1500 mile trip from Long Island to Pittsburg then out to western Ohio. Great trip that is the farthest west I have had the Nomad. With almost 27, 000 miles I never even checked the oil I just got on and rode. I used to try and get best milage I can but since the fairing with the wind deflectors and lowers at 80+MPH two up loaded up I only get about 32mpg. On byways at 50mph I usually do much better around 37mpg. I stopped caring and just rock out with loud and clear tunes on the reckless fairing. Love all the positive comments.
I wonder why the low mileage? Never got that low with my 1600 Nomad and I am equivalent with gear. At least you have cruise control. I find that helps with mileage no matter the speed.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #30

Must be the mountains in PA. I get better mileage with a fairing on mine.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium