Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #31

Do you have any more info about how to do this ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav1 View Post
I have the FP true duals installed with stock air intake. Would it be a good idea to plug this hose for this setup also?
If you have popping on decel it will help minimize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse d View Post
Just listen to racnray ........the man is the best and most accurate on kawasaki mechanics.......
THANK YOU...been werkin on skoots for over 37 1/2 years, I better know sumthin about sumthin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav1 View Post
Plugged the hole and took a nice ride the other day. Definite improvement on the popping and backfiring on decel. Probably more than 70% better.
That's a good thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
I took the airbox off and I see the hole. Do I just plug the hole or do I take the hose off and plug the hose
Either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vationdave View Post
Even with a stock exhaust?
Only if there is audible and bothersome popping on decel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xcsp View Post
RACNRAY, hello. New guy here!..Thinking about plogging this kleen are hose on my 13 Voyager, is there any long term negative effects to the engine that your aware of? or is this just a emission / smog thing. I currently have the Cobra slip on's with a FI2000R tuner, I also added that Thunder gasket to the Throttle body. Bike runs well!!.Just still just a little nagging exhaust pop every now and then.
Thanx in advance!
No long term affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVH View Post
Do you have any more info about how to do this ??
Read thru the thread, the info is here.

RACNRAY

Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #33

I know im repeating myself in alot of threads . Once you plug the hole and install the thunder gasket , Run 87 octane (helps with the retarded firing, exhaust alittle louder) and idle set to +100 and it wont pop much, I know everyone wants to put idle down low because it sounds cool.. But when you release the throttle it will help with the fuel being delivered on decelling. You will never get rid of all the decel popping but will eliminate about 80% of it..If i didnt like this bike so much i'd dump her..what a pain in the A$$... just learning from experiance..
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Last edited by jase64; 06-28-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #34

11 Vaquero, V&H slip-ons, Powerpro, AlleyCat breather, marble in the hose, alway 87 octane and it sounds like WW2 if I decel from normal riding rpms and around town.
Yet I can twist her up in lower gears and let off and have absolutely no popping.
WTheck

Talk to me Ray.....

Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc6698 View Post
11 Vaquero, V&H slip-ons, Powerpro, AlleyCat breather, marble in the hose, alway 87 octane and it sounds like WW2 if I decel from normal riding rpms and around town.
Yet I can twist her up in lower gears and let off and have absolutely no popping.
WTheck

Talk to me Ray.....
FIRST...

Install a Thunder Mfg throttle body gasket for starters. Also check for intake vacuum leaks between the intake manifold and the heads The vacuum leaks on my skoot were worse there than at the throttle body/intake manifold junction.

My skoot has about 48,000 miles on it since i sealed my intake, with the idle set at -100rpm there is no popping. Of course i am using a PCV for tuning which is far superior to the power pro.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
FIRST...

Install a Thunder Mfg throttle body gasket for starters. Also check for intake vacuum leaks between the intake manifold and the heads The vacuum leaks on my skoot were worse there than at the throttle body/intake manifold junction.

My skoot has about 48,000 miles on it since i sealed my intake, with the idle set at -100rpm there is no popping. Of course i am using a PCV for tuning which is far superior to the power pro.

RACNRAY
Hi Ray, What did you do to seal the intake? i did the washer thing but i think mine leaks.
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase64 View Post
Hi Ray, What did you do to seal the intake? i did the washer thing but i think mine leaks.
Here is the link...

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25279

RACNRAY

Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #38
Advanced Member

On my Vaquero is the V&H chrome pro 2-1 system, bolted on tightly with new crush gaskets. Also on the bike is the Cobra FI2000R pro auto tuner. I have the Roaring Toyz big air kit installed. The hose that used to go into the sotck right side intgake box is now plugged off like the Thunder kits,same as, and the little nipple on the back of the front cylinder coming off the aluminum colored little box has the little breather-filter hanging from it between the jugs. RacnRay agrees with this. I still get bubbling on decel and the occasional "pop" but strong acceleration. There must be a way to rid all decel popping on the 17's.....hoses a-plenty coming off the back of the front cylinder. Time to get back into the shop manual and explore the complex fresh air recirc system for answers.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #39

Location: Kawasaki sissy bar/docking kit, rider backrest, chrome tank trim
Mine also pops and cracks when slowing in lower gears. I have the V&H slashcuts also, I am running a power commander 5. I talked to a local bike shop about dyno tuning it, which I plan on doing soon, and he said he could cut some of that out and knew some tricks on the motors that would increase the mpg and allow them to run a lot cooler. I don't mind the occasional popping myself, just don't think it is running very efficiently right now.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmer View Post
Do you have a power commander or a cobra FI2000 installed? I believe after changing out your exhaust from stock to either a V&H or Cobra, and not adding one of those listed above, the popping noise is normal for that situation. I am sure others will jump in and expalin why this happens.
I removed baffles and fiberglass wrap. Reinstalled baffles and about 90% of backfire is gone .

Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #41

I also have added V&H slip ons, power commander fuel & ignition,thunder BAK, marbled the air hose and still have popping and backfiring on my 2012 voyager...checked header bolts, all seem to be tight....power commander only offers 1 map for voyager, (for V&H exhaust only)....just retired and now don't have $$$ for dyno...would anyone have a map they could share?????.....thanks!! any help would be appreciated!!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #42

To eliminate popping on decel dyno tuning IS NOT NECESSARY...especially with a PCV.

There is only one area in a Power Commander map that has an affect on the minimizing/eliminating popping on decel. It is easy to alter the settings in the 0% column without changing ANY of the other areas of operation.

RACNRAY

Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
On my Vaquero is the V&H chrome pro 2-1 system, bolted on tightly with new crush gaskets. Also on the bike is the Cobra FI2000R pro auto tuner. I have the Roaring Toyz big air kit installed. The hose that used to go into the sotck right side intgake box is now plugged off like the Thunder kits,same as, and the little nipple on the back of the front cylinder coming off the aluminum colored little box has the little breather-filter hanging from it between the jugs. RacnRay agrees with this. I still get bubbling on decel and the occasional "pop" but strong acceleration. There must be a way to rid all decel popping on the 17's.....hoses a-plenty coming off the back of the front cylinder. Time to get back into the shop manual and explore the complex fresh air recirc system for answers.
As long as the main feed hose for the Kleen air system is blocked off there are no other hoses that will have any affect on popping.

RACNRAY

Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesherpa View Post
Try a couple of washers under the acorn nuts where the pipes attach to the engine. I had the same problem with my V&H.
On the 1700's you do not replace the whole exhaust system, only the mufflers, so not likely a header pipe leak.
58 years behind bars