Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #1

Rear gear oil

Question about rear gear oil. Dripping ever so slowly down my kickstand. Only noticed it recently. Haven't filled it since the initial change 10,000 miles ago. Waiting for engine to cool down to go take a better look. Any tips on what I might look for??
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Rear gear oil

Your final drive is a long way from your kickstand. Are you sure its not from an engine oil drain plug or the oil filter area ?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Rear gear oil

I'ld look again as I don't believe that can be rear gear oil... The drive shaft is dry, and so it is a long way from where gear oil is..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #4

Rear gear oil

Yeah, but if it's gear oil, the pinion seal is blown. Better order a new one before you tear it all apart. You can see the parts diagrams on bikebandit.com which shows how it all goes together pretty well. You should have a maintenance manual as well.

As for that oil, there is so dang little in there that I change it every 3000 miles which is every time I change the engine oil. After all, the pan's already full of old oil, right? And it's less than 7 ounces.

That way I keep an eye on it, because if it leaks out, well there ain't all that much to leak until it goes dry.

Also, I do not fill it quite as full as the factory says, as this is reputed to make the seals leak earlier from the pressure built up in the gear case.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #5

Rear gear oil

PS: just smell the oil. Gear oil smells MUCH different than engine oil. If you don't know the difference, open the oil filler on the engine & sniff. Now sniff the leaking oil. If it's gear oil you'll smell the difference right away.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #6

Rear gear oil

Smelled like gear oil. Now that its cooled down I took cover off and it was leaking from the silver part in middle of the pic. Not mechanically inclined. Not sure what it is. All I know is the fitting at the bottom had turned out enough for some kind of oil to leak out into the cover and finally onto the kickstand. Thanks for the input. What is that part, by the way?? :)

Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Rear gear oil

I cross posted with Redjay....

Cadd how the devil can gear oil get that far fowards? 'Sling' up the shaft some how?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #8

Rear gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoga
Smelled like gear oil. Now that its cooled down I took cover off and it was leaking from the silver part in middle of the pic. Not mechanically inclined. Not sure what it is. All I know is the fitting at the bottom had turned out enough for some kind of oil to leak out into the cover and finally onto the kickstand. Thanks for the input. What is that part, by the way?? :)
That "silver thing" is the clutch hydraulic slave cylinder, and what it's leaking is DOT-4 brake fluid.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #9

Rear gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I cross posted with Redjay....

Cadd how the devil can gear oil get that far fowards? 'Sling' up the shaft some how?
I know. It does "climb" the shaft I think, while you're braking. It usually slings off at the u-joint yoke if it gets that high, and fills the rubber boot up until it drips out the bottom. I was thinking that further braking would drive it up the underside of the engine and frame, but apparently it's not gear oil at all.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #10

Rear gear oil

My brake fluid levels seemed to be fine but that is definitely where the problem was. Tightened it up a bit, it had turned inward a little, away from the stop and was definitely leaking. Glad I noticed it. Don't know how the heck the thing came loose. Is this a common problem??

Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #11

Rear gear oil

Nope. Not too common.

If the fluid hasn't been changed in the last 2 years, you should change it all out at this point.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Rear gear oil

The clutch master is where to check... Both the clutch and the brakes use break fluid..
There are 3 places to check for brake fluid... The left side res, the right side res, and the foot brake res..

This fluid is used to operate the clutch, and isn't shared with the brakes anyplace. The brakes don't share fuild with each other on a Nomad either..

DOT 4 is clear and should have a nasty feel, drying out your skin. It is clear as water when new, and may be grayish at the leak now.

The gear lube smells like a sweet sulfur.

The repair will be one of two ways..

1 you may replace the slave cly, and two you may choose to see if it can be overhauled.

It isn
't going tio stop leaking by itself. The fluid leaking will eat paint. Sooner than later it will get on paint and it will raise the paint and strip it. get it off NOW, and get this fixed before you can't use the clutch at all.

What happens if you don't is a day comes along and you squeeze the lever and find nothing. It flops and shifting then will be somewhat of a problem, unless you know how to ride with no way to operate the clutch.

If that happens with the vulcan 'slipper clutch' you will proably be in need of a tow truck.

I just noticed you are in Maine.. Perhaps I can help, since I am in Tamworth NH.

If so I would need the slave seals, which are parts you will need. Probably this can be honed and repair successfully. The worst case is the slave is internally correded, and a new slave must be installed.

"IF' this bike is on warrenty then it is a no brainer for the dealer. If not, I might be able to help you out. The other item you will need is a pint of DOT 4 brake fluid and don't buy DOT 5 as it is non compatabale with our systems.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #13

Rear gear oil

Mac, I think his banjo bolt was just loose. If he tightens it & it still leaks, then maybe time to kit it.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #14

Rear gear oil

The fitting underneath looks like a ball joint. I tightened it up and will check again after the next ride. The left and right reservoirs, which are on the handle bars, correct??, look to be full and fine. The foot brake reservoir is an NFI. Can you point me where to look to see the level? The place where it was leaking was that ball joint looking thing at the bottom. I could turn it with my fingers. Not anymore. I am hoping, with fingers crossed, that it will fix the problem. If not, it is under warranty and will go to the shop. Also did not know that DOT 4 was so caustic. Thanks for that heads up also. When I open her up again, I will make sure I do a bit more thorough cleaning. I just gave it a quick wipe down with a rag.
MACMAC , thanks again for the offer of hands on help :) BTW WTF is a banjo bolt?? Another NFI for me.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #15

Rear gear oil

That "ball joint" looking thing? That's called a banjo fitting. The thing you tightened is a hollow bolt, called the banjo bolt. There's nothing musical about them though.

In theory, you have to replace the two aluminum washers on that bolt every time you loosen & tighten it. In practice you can usually use them over one time. Your one time is, however, now used up.