Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Updated - - How tough is the NC DMV riding test?

I'm being told by a couple of guys here at work that State Farm is pulling my chain - that as long as I have a valid temp permit they can't legally do a thing - that they have to follow state law and as long as the state says I'm okay they have to go along. ??? ??? ???

I have got to get my full endorsement ASAP or State Farm is going to have a cow and cancel my coverage! I've got the DMV handbook and done some parking lot practice. Just wondering if there are any "gotcha's" I should watch out for.

Thanks!

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #2

I got curious and went looking and found this for your state.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services....20Skil l%20Test

Basic vehicle control and collision avoidance skills are included in on-cycle tests to determine your ability to handle normal and hazardous traffic situations.

You may be tested on:

* Know your motorcycle and your riding limits.

* Accelerate, brake, and turn safely.

* See, be seen and communicate with others.

* Adjust speed and position to the traffic situation.

* Stop, turn and swerve quickly.

* Make critical decisions and carry them out.

Examiners may score on factors related to safety such as:

* Selecting safe speeds to perform maneuvers.

* Choosing the correct path and staying within boundaries.

* Completing normal and quick stops.

* Completing normal and quick turns, or swerves.

The state that I got my license in had a fairly tight U-turn, but not super tight.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I'd suggest taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. In most states, they administer the written and skills tests and if you pass, they hand you a voucher you take to the DMV and get your endorsement. I started the course on a Friday evening and Sunday morning I had my voucher, Monday I had my endorsement.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I'd suggest taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. In most states, they administer the written and skills tests and if you pass, they hand you a voucher you take to the DMV and get your endorsement. I started the course on a Friday evening and Sunday morning I had my voucher, Monday I had my endorsement.
Same here. Took the test on their Buell 500. Allot lighter and more maneuverable than the Nomad.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
If i remember right the safety course does cover the riding test in NC. I used a Star 650 custom on my test at the DVM. I would suggest a smaller bike than the Nomad for the test it is very tight and would be difficult on a large bike
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

I have been riding for 30+ years and two years ago took the course with my daughter and it was great I recomend it for everybody.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

And most, if not all Basic Rider courses provide the bike. I did mine on an old 450 Honda. A lot easier than the Suzuki C50T I had at the time.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #8

Take the MSF course. The DMV WILL ding you if they can. You can take it through one of the community colleges for next to nothing. All you need is your helmet, boots, gloves, and long pants and sleeves. Use their little bikes, they are easier.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #9

I have been an MSF instructor for the State of New Hampshire for six years now. The rules aren't the same for every state but the majority are. In NH the basic course starts on Friday night (class room) Saturday (riding/classroom) and Sunday (riding/riding test/written test) Yes the bikes we use are 250cc maximum size. The course is by no means easy for 95% of the students but at the end of the weekend I've never had (except for one) student say they got a huge benefit from it. When I took it, I had already been riding for 20 years and I found it very instructional and yes opening. My personal feeling is everyone that wants their endorsement should have to take the course. In Nh , if you pass, we issue a card you take to the DMV to get you license endorsed. No DMV test to take. I'd like to comment on one thing that has been mentioned here and I've heard many times. People that go to the DMV with a small bike to take the test but have a larger bike at home. My personal feeling....if you can't pass the test on your own bike what does that say???? Just my 2 cents.

vin

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #10

Unfortunately all the MSF courses around here are booked until August, so that's out for the short term. Guess it's more parking lot practice today - and a hope and a prayer when I go to take the test.

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I don't know about other states but here in Alabama I have the motorcycle endorsement on my license and never had to do anything. Might have had something to do with my age of course. I'm not a kid any longer. I have taken the Motorcycle safety course but that was a long time back. Don't even have the paperwork to show I took it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #12

I would assume the test is always the same in a particular state, regardless of age. I remember my first endorsement was in Virginia 1972.....The tester told me to ride it around the building. It took 30 seconds and he said "your good to go". I'll bet it's not like that there any longer. It shouldn't be easy to pass. You should learn special skills to ride a bike.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #13

One thing ypu could do for instruction is to buy the "ride like a pro" video. That guy is a very good teacher and he instructs many similar things in the video that we teach in the course. Get some cups or cut tennis balls in half to use as markers. You won't regret it.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
I have been an MSF instructor for the State of New Hampshire for six years now. The rules aren't the same for every state but the majority are. In NH the basic course starts on Friday night (class room) Saturday (riding/classroom) and Sunday (riding/riding test/written test) Yes the bikes we use are 250cc maximum size. The course is by no means easy for 95% of the students but at the end of the weekend [size=100:tyvibj74]I've never had (except for one) student say they got a huge benefit from it.[/size:tyvibj74] When I took it, I had already been riding for 20 years and I found it very instructional and yes opening. My personal feeling is everyone that wants their endorsement should have to take the course. In Nh , if you pass, we issue a card you take to the DMV to get you license endorsed. No DMV test to take. I'd like to comment on one thing that has been mentioned here and I've heard many times. People that go to the DMV with a small bike to take the test but have a larger bike at home. My personal feeling....if you can't pass the test on your own bike what does that say???? Just my 2 cents.

vin
Only one that got something out of the course? Riding a motorcycle must be easy!;D

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #15

I took the Arkansas test for a motorcycle license in 1974.
Before I was old enough to drive a car.
Then five years ago I had to get an endorsement when I started
riding again. The riding test hadn't changed a bit.
Go down to the corner, turn around and come back.
However they now included a ten question multiple choice test that you had to score 70% on.
Looking at the questions I thought to myself if dont make 70% maybe
I shouldn't even be walking.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers