Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Ivan's reflash premium fuel

So what's premium fuel?

1. A 93 octane with 10% ethanol?
Or
2. A 89octane with no ethanol? (Called rec gas 100% gasoline)

What would u guys suggest? Or does it not matter. Rec is more expensive...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

Run the lowest octane that does not Ping in your bike.
When you are going to store the MC for the winter fill up with non ethanol gas and add a stabilizer to the tank first.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Advanced Member

89 without ethanol isn't premium. Ethanol's octane is actually about 113. So 89 with ethanol is ethanol mixed with an even lower octane gas to get it to 89.

Don't get me wrong, ethanol sucks. But it isn't an octane issue.

Premium is 91 or higher, and I ran a bunch of 91 while out west without any issues. And occasionally run it while local. In the grand scheme of things we are talking about a dollar a tankful. Run the good stuff, imho.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Cool thanks I'll go with the higher octane then.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

My bike says premium fuel only on the tank. I thought they all say that. That's why I was surprised to see Iran's says premium fuel only.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U@NV View Post
My bike says premium fuel only on the tank. I thought they all say that. That's why I was surprised to see Iran's says premium fuel only.
It says minimum of 90 I believe. Which is really odd because 89 is mid-grade and 91 is the lower cut off for premium. Does 90 even exist?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
Advanced Member

The plot thickens, according to the FTC it varies from state to state.

The octane rating of gas labeled "premium" or "regular" isn’t the same across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you're buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ctane-gasoline

So yea, 90 is premium in some states. I'll be darned. I have always used 91+, but I learned something today.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #8

Here in Minnesota Most Premium is 91 but if you go to Amoco you can get 92. And 125 at a special gas station off of 494 in Bloomington. But it was 15.00 a gallon. Thought the bike had wings, NOT. Just ran well and no real difference. Big waste of money for me. BUt Hey I had to check it out Once.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #9

Use premium fuel 91-93 oct with Ivan's reflash. The will most likely ping if you use less and get on it. There is the possibility you can damage your motor if you use less. He has you use it because he added timing down low and now that the throttle opens to 100% you are sucking in a lot more air. This is the short and simple answer. If you want the complicated answer call Ivan himself and listen to what he has to say. Don't listen to the people that say you can use regular gas just to save $2 a tank. In the long run it will be worth it.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post
Use premium fuel 91-93 oct with Ivan's reflash. The will most likely ping if you use less and get on it. There is the possibility you can damage your motor if you use less. He has you use it because he added timing down low and now that the throttle opens to 100% you are sucking in a lot more air. This is the short and simple answer. If you want the complicated answer call Ivan himself and listen to what he has to say. Don't listen to the people that say you can use regular gas just to save $2 a tank. In the long run it will be worth it.

Cool and thanks, I guess really my main question was what's better a higher octane with ethanol or a lower octane with no ethanol. Is see the 93 octanes with ethanol are the clear winners here

Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkovach View Post
Cool and thanks, I guess really my main question was what's better a higher octane with ethanol or a lower octane with no ethanol. Is see the 93 octanes with ethanol are the clear winners here
I'm not sure where you're getting "the 93 octanes 'with ethanol' are the clear winners here" from. I'll use 91 with no ethanol before I'll use 93 with it. It's better for gaskets and seals.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
i'm not sure where you're getting "the 93 octanes 'with ethanol' are the clear winners here" from. I'll use 91 with no ethanol before i'll use 93 with it. It's better for gaskets and seals.
yep i agree

Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

It bothers me that so many consider a higher octane as better, when its not a higher quality, but is more resistant to uncontrolled ignition, that pinging you get when you run too low of an octane for your particular set up. Ignition timing, compression ratio, combustion chamber design all play a part in the octane required, but the quality of the gas is basically all the same, and pure gas is always a better choice where available, but this is all just my opinion.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
It bothers me that so many consider a higher octane as better, when its not a higher quality, but is more resistant to uncontrolled ignition, that pinging you get when you run too low of an octane for your particular set up. Ignition timing, compression ratio, combustion chamber design all play a part in the octane required, but the quality of the gas is basically all the same, and pure gas is always a better choice where available, but this is all just my opinion.
It's more than just an opinion, it's a fact. Another fact is if you're running 91 or higher in a motor that's happy with 87, you'll get less performance and and worse gas mileage.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
You are taking our 'better' answer out of context. With Ivan's flash the bike has been leaned out, and the timing has been advanced. As you say higher octane is more resistant to ping. Without the higher octane Ivan's flash will most certainly ping. So in the context of the question yea, higher octane with ethanol is better than 87 without.

Tags
gasoline ivan