Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacha View Post
I tried on a new Shoei at the shop the other day. Man, it was like wearing one of my ball caps. Gotta save up some cash to get one. With my big mellon head, the only helmets that fit well are the expensive ones like Shoei and Arai.
Those are the ones my brother wears, he doesn't mind paying the $6-$800.00 pricetags on them either.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #62

For me ATGATT
- 3/4 or FF helmet
- Leather jacket or textile with armour
- Draggin Jeans (kevlar lined)
- Sidi canyon gore tex boots
- Leather gloves with knuckle protector
- Drinking - only water or pop when I am going on the bike, a cold beer tastes better at the end of the ride as does the 2nd ....

Spent a few days this past July riding through Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana in 105F - 110F weather on a goldwing. I was sorely tempted to remove my jacket, but kept thinking about Steve's pictures when he went down, and the stories my wife tells me about the guys she has worked on when they went down. To each their own, for me I will wear the gear all the time every time!

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #63

1/2 helmet 99% of the time
Leather jacket 50%
Leather vest 75% (I wear it under the jacket in cool weather)
Leather boots 100%
Jeans 100%
Leather chaps on long trips only
Always some sort of eye protection!
No drinking until the bike is parked for the day/night

Last edited by deadant; 03-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #64

We (wife & I ) have decided to wear our gear when we ride. If it's too hot to wear the gear, we'll find something else to do that day. We try and plan our trips either early or later in the riding season. We find the gear to be comfortable up to about 80°.

P.S. A little trick I use is, I wear a breathable base layer (like under armor) under my mesh gear when it gets hot out. I found this to be a BIG help keeping me cooler.

Thanks for reading..... Enjoy the ride

Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #65
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
We (wife & I ) have decided to wear our gear when we ride. If it's too hot to wear the gear, we'll find something else to do that day. We try and plan our trips either early or later in the riding season. We find the gear to be comfortable up to about 80°.

P.S. A little trick I use is, I wear a breathable base layer (like under armor) under my mesh gear when it gets hot out. I found this to be a BIG help keeping me cooler.

Thanks for reading..... Enjoy the ride
Thanks for the tip!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #66
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchornomad View Post
My answers are very similar to Mr. Wilson! Used his format.!!

Helmet = 100% Full face most of the time, with visor. Built in sun visor.
Pants = Jeans 100% (but considering other types - kevlar type?)
Chaps = 100%
Shirt = 75% Long sleeve / 25% Short sleeve
Jacket = 100% (not armored, but considering that)
Eye Protection = 100% prescription glasses
Boots = 100% high-top leather-tie boots with Vibram grip sole
Gloves = 100% full-hand (Kevlar lined are my favorite, light, safe and cooler)

As far as the gloves go, does anyone else wear the Kevlar lined leather gloves that I use? They are a little lighter leather but fully lined with Kevlar similar to the Police style safety gloves. The gloves feel exceptionally comfortable, seem to breathe, your hands do not sweat instantaneously as some gloves that I have been trying to use. Price is comparable or better than those from dealers or bike stores. Just curious if anyone else uses these or has tried them? Dennis
Dennis, I have the 911 and the Hatch gloves from my days as an RCMP officer. The only issue I have is that the pairs I have are tight so when you were searching or frisking a suspect, you could feel for needles or small objects. Unfortunately, when I use them for riding in the summer my hands get sweaty and they are hard to get back on after stopping for a break. Perhaps if you went a size or two up you would be alright. The other issue is the gloves do not come up very high on the wrist. If you went down you would have a gap beyween the top of the glove and the bottom of your sleeve. I hope this helps you. Ride safe!! Kevin

VBA#1838
Blue Knights#70718

2009 HD Ultra Classic

2010 Nomad August 2011-July2012
2008 900 Classic LT February 2009-August 2011

Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #67

I got a pair of the Bohn CoolAir pants ( http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro....php?prod=BGLC ) and wear them under Carhartt double knee logger jeans or kevlars. I can also wear leather chaps over jeans for extra protection.

I wear a weather appropriate leather or mesh armored jacket, QWI gloves ( http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/ ) and either my Bell half hat or HJC modular full face and I am as protected as I can be clothing wise. I have a mesh neon yellow reflective vest I put on over whatever I am wearing for night riding.

Re the gear, I've gone down before in my youth and didn't enjoy it. I've also scraped up too many folks with a shovel in my job to not wear it. It may not let you walk away but it sure will prevent a lot of damage.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #68
Sr. Contributor

Helmet, always, jacket, if below 90, boots, always, gloves, always. Beer or other alcohol, never when riding.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #69

I have 4 different helmets, shorty, 3/4, and full. I wear whichever is comfortable. Usually based off of weather. When taking long trips I wear the full primarily for the ability to use my blue tooth.
I have draggin jeans, but rarely wear them. I prefer just good ol Levis. Never shorts.
I wear leather chaps and jacket up to about 80.
I always wear boots.
I have 5 or 6 pairs of gloves. Depends on weather.
I don't drink alcohol.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #70

I won't hesitate to jump on the bike on whatever I'm wearing + helmet.
I have a full, a modular, and a half, always wear one.
Clothes are a different story. I'll ride in a tshirt and shorts, and sneakers If I'm not getting on the highway. The highway warrents long pants, leather jacket, and sometimes gloves.
It's a risk we all take, and thankfully we all have the right to choose what right for is.
Lots of people never buckle up In their cage either....

Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #71

Half helmet full-time
Full gloves full time (Cor-tech - good armor but also breathe well for summer, wear heavier gloves in colder weather)
Tourmaster textile armor jacket full-time (can be reduced to just an armor mesh in summer)
Motorcycle boots full-time

The only gear I consider optional are my leather chaps which I only wear in cooler weather.

VBA #01926
VROC #34332

Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #72
Sr. Contributor

It's good to hear that members are wearing some or a lot of protection, it will help us to ride longer, in the event of a fall.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #73

I believe the A.B.A.T.E motto let the rider decide. Helmets protect you, but they also limit hearing and vision, two things that have saved my life a lot of times. Leathers are nice, but they or a helmet in 80 degree Fahrenheit weather can cause you to suffer mild heat stroke which effects your judgement and reaction time.
I have ridden in weather conditions from wind chill -60 sitting still and a foot of snow to as hot as 116 degrees with a cross wind of 30 mph and gusting to 55 mph. I dressed comfortable for all conditions I always wear jeans and a shirt and eye protection. When I was younger and dumber I sometimes riding around the block would wear flip flops. I now always wear at least leather tennis shoes.
I stand by my choice of safety gear after having one bike totaled out from under me and walking away with only a bruised Achilles tendon, having laid down 4 bikes at speed greater than 40 mph and being broadsided by a cage doing 30 mph. In all that a bruised Achilles tendon and small cases of road rash are the worst I was ever hurt.
Then again I have friends that hit there brakes, saved the bike, their pregnant wife and hit the extended bumper on a truck dieing instantly.
ALL SAID WHEN THE TIME COMES THE RIDE IS OVER!
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #74
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouson View Post
I believe the A.B.A.T.E motto let the rider decide. Helmets protect you, but they also limit hearing and vision, two things that have saved my life a lot of times. Leathers are nice, but they or a helmet in 80 degree Fahrenheit weather can cause you to suffer mild heat stroke which effects your judgement and reaction time.
I have ridden in weather conditions from wind chill -60 sitting still and a foot of snow to as hot as 116 degrees with a cross wind of 30 mph and gusting to 55 mph. I dressed comfortable for all conditions I always wear jeans and a shirt and eye protection. When I was younger and dumber I sometimes riding around the block would wear flip flops. I now always wear at least leather tennis shoes.
I stand by my choice of safety gear after having one bike totaled out from under me and walking away with only a bruised Achilles tendon, having laid down 4 bikes at speed greater than 40 mph and being broadsided by a cage doing 30 mph. In all that a bruised Achilles tendon and small cases of road rash are the worst I was ever hurt.
Then again I have friends that hit there brakes, saved the bike, their pregnant wife and hit the extended bumper on a truck dieing instantly.
ALL SAID WHEN THE TIME COMES THE RIDE IS OVER!
Saying you laid down four bikes says it all.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #75

Helmet - 99.9% of the time (half helmet)
Jeans - 100% I won't ride in shorts
Boots - 50% If I ride to work, it's dress shoes.
Jacket - If the temp is under 65, yes. During the summer I usually don't. Although I have been wearing my padded mesh jacket a lot more recently. Even on the warm days.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday