Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-22-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

Much improved perfprmance!

I got this 2019 Vaquero with 6,700 miles completely stock back in February, 2022

After my first ride I noticed this big flat spot / hesitation between 2-3K rpm in any gear. Worse when the Bike was running at its hottest.
Reading about all the excitement about Ivanizing I quickly sent it off.

Upon return I installed it and drove it for about a hundred miles. I know most have had remarkable results but some have not. I was one of the have nots.

My Bike didn't seem to like Ivans flash. It would come off idle and jump to 1300 rpm no matter how easy I rolled on the throttle. But what was worse was the pre ignition / spark knock that I was getting. All the time running tier one 93 octane gas. Called Ivan and his solution was to send it back and he would flash it back and no cost.

Since then I have put on 5k miles and living with the very annoying hesitation between 2-3K rpm. I have used seafoam about 5 times and it did seem to help a little.

BUT! When I decided to put in 90 octane ethanol free gas it transformed the bike. Much like what you here some say about Ivans flash. Even coming from tier one 93 octane down to 90 ethanol free octane the bike runs so much better and the flat hesitation is practically non existent and with more power and smother running. Would like to here if others running ethanol free had similar results..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
Top Contributor

So did you get the ECU returned to stock before trying the non ethanol ?
Do you have an aftermarket intake installed ?

Old 10-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
So did you get the ECU returned to stock before trying the non ethanol ?
Do you have an aftermarket intake installed ?

Yeah ecu and bike all stock since March 22.
No aftermarket intake or exhaust. All stock.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:37 PM   #4
Top Contributor

So just to be clear. You had the ECU reflashed by Ivan and did not like it so you had it reflashed back to stock and the only change is that you are now running non ethanol and seeing an improvement, correct ?

Old 10-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
So just to be clear. You had the ECU reflashed by Ivan and did not like it so you had it reflashed back to stock and the only change is that you are now running non ethanol and seeing an improvement, correct ?

You got it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #6

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Old 10-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #7
Top Contributor

The last couple of tanks before storing the bike for winter I fill up with Shell non ethanol but the rest of the year I use regular 87 octane in my bike, a 2014 Yamaha V Star Deluxe.

It is going in storage this afternoon.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute 1 View Post
I got this 2019 Vaquero with 6,700 miles completely stock back in February, 2022

After my first ride I noticed this big flat spot / hesitation between 2-3K rpm in any gear. Worse when the Bike was running at its hottest.

Upon return I installed it and drove it for about a hundred miles. I know most have had remarkable results but some have not. I was one of the have nots.

My Bike didn't seem to like Ivans flash. It would come off idle and jump to 1300 rpm no matter how easy I rolled on the throttle. But what was worse was the pre ignition / spark knock that I was getting. All the time running tier one 93 octane gas. Called Ivan and his solution was to send it back and he would flash it back and no cost.

Since then I have put on 5k miles and living with the very annoying hesitation between 2-3K rpm. I have used seafoam about 5 times and it did seem to help a little.

BUT! When I decided to put in 90 octane ethanol free gas it transformed the bike. Much like what you here some say about Ivans flash. Even coming from tier one 93 octane down to 90 ethanol free octane the bike runs so much better and the flat hesitation is practically non existent and with more power and smother running. Would like to here if others running ethanol free had similar results..
So when you had the ECU reflashed back to stock did the bike stop jumping to 1300 rpm off idle ?

Old 10-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #9

Ivan's flash, cold air intake, V&H slip-ons...bike runs like a scalded dog. Stock the bike sucked so bad I had buyer's remorse. Why invest in an Ivan's flash with stock intake and exhaust? The VN1700 exhaust is by far the worst, most restrictive garbage I've encountered in 20yrs of riding and 9yrs of wrenching.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 10-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute 1 View Post

Does the reflash on the 1700's require you to unplug the 02 sensor ?

Old 10-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #11

Yeah

Old 11-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
Ivan's flash, cold air intake, V&H slip-ons...bike runs like a scalded dog. Stock the bike sucked so bad I had buyer's remorse. Why invest in an Ivan's flash with stock intake and exhaust?
87 octane, Ivans, and stock exhaust, my bike runs great with great bottom end torque. With the V&H it lacked bottom torque and had a bad 2700 to 2900 RPM lag, like a 2 second dead spot.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
87 octane, Ivans, and stock exhaust, my bike runs great with great bottom end torque. With the V&H it lacked bottom torque and had a bad 2700 to 2900 RPM lag, like a 2 second dead spot.
87 octane? Where you ride, the Alps?
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 11-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #14

Anybody else have any experience with "non ethanol"

Old 11-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
Top Contributor

The last couple of fill ups before storing the bike before winter I fill up with Shell non ethanol. I don't notice any difference in performance by using it although some say their mileage goes up.