Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #1

Question Vaquero fairing

Good Morning All: My question is on the fairing of a 2015 Kawasaki Vaquero. While out riding I was hit by a Turkey Vulture and it cracked my fairing around the headlight and right side near the windshield and popped out my left side running/fog light. My question is this a two piece fairing meaning outer and inner, and with the black stripes on the left side of the fairing are these decals or painted covered with clear coat. Kinda of worried about any other damage under the fairing as I have some strange noises as I am riding it now. Any input from anyone who has had fairing collisions and repairs would be appreciated. Had to glue in the fog light in order to keep riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka.../cowling-inner

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka.../cowling-outer
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 10-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #3

Thanks BrokeAss

Old 10-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Pretty sure that inner and outer fairing is made out of ABS plastic, as such it can easily be repaired strong and solid as stock. ABS can be heat welded with a 1500 watt soldering iron, and further repaired using ABS plastic pipe solvent. ABS filler rods are available at Harbor Freight, I have used them many times to repair ABS fairings and saddlebags, side panels, any motorcycle plastic made from ABS.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. andyvh1959. Will have to wait and see what the insurance company says. Didn't know about the ABS fix. Still need paint and the decals, fog lite hardware and head lite visor. See what the costs are when everything is removed and see if there is anything else under the outer fairing. Thanks for the info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2022, 10:43 PM   #6

I took my fairing and right-side saddlebag to a plastic welder back in 2014 after both were badly damaged in a high-side. They were both easily and cheaply fixed, and a good paint shop made them look like new again. I provided them with decals I bought from Ron Ayers.

The repairs can't be seen, even now - more than 8 years later.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the input Peg That is good information. Wasn't aware we could purchase the decals in the States. My service guy in my dealership told me that they would be coming from Japan. Who knew

Old 10-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #8

Good morning all. Just came from the insurance estimator and he has ruled that the fairing and other parts can't be repaired and new replacement is required. He indicated that the OEM part numbers seemed to be color specific so he wondered if they come painted with the decals and clearcoat complete from Kawasaki. Anyways I sent a letter of inquiry to Kawasaki Canada asking if the parts come painted or not so we will see if I get a reply or not. Thought I would ask the members if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks in advance. Did run it by my dealer and he says to bring it back in the spring as he has too much work just now lasting into early spring.

Last edited by ballbreaker; 10-22-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
Top Contributor

The Spring is probably the dealers busiest time so by then he will probably be booked up until Fall :(

Old 10-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply redjay. AS usual you are correct about probably waiting until fall to get it in. Found out 1 important thing today.
1-All fairings and painted parts from Kawasaki come from Japan painted complete from the decals, paint and clear coat. So really since it is probably remove and replace. I could go anywhere to have it done.

I am very glad I have 2 bikes if my main ride is unavailable. Maybe I will win the lottery and I will own 3 bikes. LOL

Last edited by ballbreaker; 10-22-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #11
Advanced Member

How badly is the fairing damaged? Asking if you can post some pictures, as I might be interested in buying the current fairing to repair myself.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #12

Hey andyvh1959. In Canada the broken pieces become the property of the insurance company. They are not interested in letting the owner take them as they are replacing it with new. If anything changes I will get back to you. Looks like the fairing won't be replaced until 2023 summer at the earliest. Dealer won't order parts ahead of time as they don't want to store them and they say they don't get paid for the parts from insurance company until the job is complete and they have to pay for the parts upfront.

Old 10-25-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
Advanced Member

K. Just wanted to see if the fairing was available. No rush. If anything changes just PM me. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #14

I will for sure. I would have no use for cracked fairing