Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

ECU to Ivans from Canada

I understand there are many threads regarding Ivan and his programming, but i wanted to let anyone new to the forum, or anyone that has been contemplating sending in their ECU but have hesitation, how simple it really is.

The hesitation for me was 100% the border and the shipping logistics. It is easier than you think. I sent the ECU down (granted over new years) December 28th. Ivan received it Jan 4th. He called that day, and shipped it back out. I received it today. I live in BC. That is amazing service. I sent it via Canada post express - insured for $850 canadian ($50) and received it FedEx.

The paperwork to send it i did online, and dropped it off at a postal outlet here in my home town.

Too frikin cold here to even think about testing it, so that will wait till spring.

It was extremely simple.

Hopefully this will set some minds at ease that maybe are holding off because it seems too confusing.

Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I have the '15 Voyager 1700. What exhaust are you gonna use with the upgrade? I bought the V&H slash cut mufflers but I had a hesitation at 2700 rpm the was like cutting the switch off for a split second. Ivan said that was a normal complaint. I put the stock mufflers back on and that cleared up nicely. The power is very good at rpm's/low speeds where as with the V&H mufflers it was unhappy when adding throttle. V&H wasn't giving the intake enough back pressure. The Ivan's upgrade really brings the best out of the engine. IMO the money is well worth it. Hope you enjoy it as well.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_Dave View Post
I understand there are many threads regarding Ivan and his programming, but i wanted to let anyone new to the forum, or anyone that has been contemplating sending in their ECU but have hesitation, how simple it really is.

The hesitation for me was 100% the border and the shipping logistics. It is easier than you think. I sent the ECU down (granted over new years) December 28th. Ivan received it Jan 4th. He called that day, and shipped it back out. I received it today. I live in BC. That is amazing service. I sent it via Canada post express - insured for $850 canadian ($50) and received it FedEx.

The paperwork to send it i did online, and dropped it off at a postal outlet here in my home town.

Too frikin cold here to even think about testing it, so that will wait till spring.

It was extremely simple.

Hopefully this will set some minds at ease that maybe are holding off because it seems too confusing.

Cheers
That is good to hear. I'm always worried shipping things over the border either way!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
I have the '15 Voyager 1700. What exhaust are you gonna use with the upgrade? I bought the V&H slash cut mufflers but I had a hesitation at 2700 rpm the was like cutting the switch off for a split second. Ivan said that was a normal complaint. I put the stock mufflers back on and that cleared up nicely. The power is very good at rpm's/low speeds where as with the V&H mufflers it was unhappy when adding throttle. V&H wasn't giving the intake enough back pressure. The Ivan's upgrade really brings the best out of the engine. IMO the money is well worth it. Hope you enjoy it as well.
I did a lot of reading regarding slip-ons etc, and having exhaust experience through drag racing, i didn't see the benefit to spending the extra money, and instead took the guts out of the stock pipes. (2009 1700 Nomad) I took all baffling out from the exhaust tips all the way to where they connect to the rest of the exhaust, leaving about a 1/3 of the stock resistance in there. Now having said that, I haven't even installed the newly programmed ECU as the amount of snow i have here eliminates a test ride for a couple of months. I did tell Ivan about the pipes and he said that wouldn't effect his programming at all.
The pipes are loud of coarse, but not too much in my opinion. I also added a K&N filter, and that certainly helped the breathing.

Once i install the ECU and take it for a ride, if i find i have a back pressure issue, i will "fabricate" a baffle, and fine tune until its happy, otherwise ill run them as they are now.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Advanced Member

One thing about Alabama, it was 64f yesterday, 42f now. Tomorrow it is to stay in the 20’s tomorrow. Once every 2 weeks you can slip in a ride.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Once i install the ECU and take it for a ride, if i find i have a back pressure issue, i will "fabricate" a baffle, and fine tune until its happy, otherwise ill run them as they are now.
You should be fine with a debaffle if you got the standard flash. It is only the Big Air Kit that ( AS I Understand It) needs the BAK flash.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 01-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
You should be fine with a debaffle if you got the standard flash. It is only the Big Air Kit that ( AS I Understand It) needs the BAK flash.
ok, sweet, I got the standard flash.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Ivan is fast...I sent mine over from Oregon he had it in 3 days USPS and it was back in another 4 days about a full week altogether and yes, well worth it for what the flash does for the motor in quite a few ways. Ivan set mine up for a Freedom Performance 2-1 combat pipe with a Roaring Toyz big air kit and the bike runs smoother, better throttle control no back firing, cooler, and stronger passing power in top cog. My fuel mileage went up as well by about an average of 3-5 mpg better than before.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Advanced Member

I live in Ontario,, I was ivanized version 3 last month 2 cold 2 ride,, exhaust 2-1 Freedom gave me best torque and performance .. running a alley cat intake
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 08-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #10

Logistics is pretty easy presuming you have all your paperwork in order. Glad to see you had no issues and were able to ship cargo seamlessly.

Last edited by Pop Alexandra; 09-05-2023 at 06:18 AM.