Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #1

No power when turning key 2013 Nomad

Issue after issue it seems... I recently replaced the starter on my 2013 Nomad with a little over 20,000 miles. The bike has run well for a few weeks, although I haven't ridden much. Today I geared up, turned the key, all systems came on as usual, gages, fuel injector, etc. When I pressed the ignition button everything shut down. There is no power at all. I checked the battery, it is fully charged, I checked fuses, including the main fuse, all were fine. Emergency switch was not engaged. Tried with clutch in, tried kickstand up, removed the battery and connected it to trickle charge, nothing helped. I even replaced the starter relay with a unit I ordered earlier. What suggestions do you folks have? This bike is driving me nuts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #2

Check in your headlight bucket for any loose connections. I had a similar problem one time on my 2012 Nomad and a connector came loose in the headlight.
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"

Old 08-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #3

Did you actually load test the battery or just rely on a meter saying it had 12v?
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 08-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
Did you actually load test the battery or just rely on a meter saying it had 12v?
I had it load tested a few months ago. It tested fine. I am no electronic expert, I am barely a novice, but it seems the battery would have to be completely dead to keep the gages and such from coming on when the key is turned.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPreacha View Post
Check in your headlight bucket for any loose connections. I had a similar problem one time on my 2012 Nomad and a connector came loose in the headlight.
Thanks, I'll check that

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Top Contributor

no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Earl View Post
Thanks, I'll check that
Have you used the search feature on the forum to search for past threads on this or similar issues ?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:22 PM   #7

I had that happen once. The problem turned out to be a corroded/loose battery terminal. When it was cleaned and tightened everything worked fine.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #8

Turns out it was the battery after all. At least at this point it seems that is the case. Even though the battery showed a full charge, They were not enough amps to power the bike. Thank you for all of the comments and advice. Now if it would just quit raining so I can ride.

Last edited by Tim Earl; 08-22-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Earl View Post
Turns out it was the battery after all. At least at this point it seems that is the case. Even though the battery showed a full charge, They were not enough amps to power the bike. Thank you for all of the comments and advice. Now if it would just quit raining so I can ride.
That's exactly why I said to load test it. Eight watch batteries in series will read 12v but won't start a motorcycle. When the plates fail internally they can lose most of their area but if even a tiny amount still works it can supply the necessary voltage and current to push a voltmeter. Seen it many times.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Tags
1700, 2013 nomad, electrical problems, no power