Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

slash down cobra, pro hyper charger update

got some miles on the cobras a slight bit louder than i wanted but i really like the sound. i have noticed taking off from a dead stop is much smoother and there is more torque off idle and low end power has improved. that came as a total surprise. i expected the opposite. the hypercharger is another story. it undoubtedly makes more top end power, and the looks are awesome. the cons are it sticks out so far it irritates my leg, and there is alot of intake noise when accelerating hard. i did'nt have the butterflies hooked up to vacuum until yesterday. they are about as rediculous in operation as they look when doing nothing. i feel like who am i trying to kid with these dumb looking butterflies. they even flutter like a butterfly from idle on up. i am going to try a pin hole damper in the vacuum line. if that don't work i may remove them and put a chrome mesh screen in the opening, or leave them open. i also noted a smoother clutch engagement when i went from 15W-40 rotella t dino to 5w-40 rotella t synthetic. my cobra 2000r is now set at 3-4-1. seems to run good there with the mods. i am running 87 octane, can't hear any pinging. when i bought the bike the first ride was a big let down. it was hard to sync shifts, poor lowend throttle responce, terrible sounding exaust note, and no power. now it is like a totally different machine. it does it all perfect. darn i love this bike. pics to come soon. i got help.lol. bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

It seems like your getting it fine tuned quite nicely. Let me know how you find the gear shifting with the 5W40 oil. Ive used Rotella 15W40 the last two seasons and really like how the bike shifts compared to other oils Ive tried. They all seem to shift ok when the oil is new, but the Rotella seems to shift well almost through the entire oil change interval.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Advanced Member

As for the hypercharger I also have one on my 06 and it hit my leg also so what I did was I shimmed the whole floorboard brake pedal and all out about 1/2" works like a champ

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
As for the hypercharger I also have one on my 06 and it hit my leg also so what I did was I shimmed the whole floorboard brake pedal and all out about 1/2" works like a champ
i also spaced my floorboard out 3/4" and modified my brake pedal. it did help alot. i am going to do a little more work on the brake pedal. i will heat it and bend it. and pick up another 3/4" on the pedal, than have it rechromed. bill

Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
It seems like your getting it fine tuned quite nicely. Let me know how you find the gear shifting with the 5W40 oil. Ive used Rotella 15W40 the last two seasons and really like how the bike shifts compared to other oils Ive tried. They all seem to shift ok when the oil is new, but the Rotella seems to shift well almost through the entire oil change interval.
as far as shifting goes i can't tell any difference between the dino and synthetic rotella. the clutch engagement is much smoother from a dead stop. some of that i attribute to the exaust system. it has more torque right of idle and better throttle responce. i think i just hit the right combination of everything put together. no where to go from here, but to ride it. lol. bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Pull the vac line off the charger and leave the flappers open. If you want create a latch of some sort to close them when the engine is off. Just remember they are closed and you need to open them when you wanna ride

I like the look, but won't drop the jingle for a big air cleaner that doesn't do anything but be a big air cleaner.

If I could get the housing and filter for a with in reason price used I might install it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Pull the vac line off the charger and leave the flappers open. If you want create a latch of some sort to close them when the engine is off. Just remember they are closed and you need to open them when you wanna ride

I like the look, but won't drop the jingle for a big air cleaner that doesn't do anything but be a big air cleaner.

If I could get the housing and filter for a with in reason price used I might install it.
if i knew it stuck out that far i probably would have went another route. i think i had a few beers and was on the net when i ordered it. it does improve the top end breathing and looks awesome. when i rode today i forgot all about the butter flies. so i guess i will just leave them do their thing. bill