Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #16

TFI question

Hey, Glenn. I installed the Thunder kit and adapter on Gadgets under Stealth air kit. All the plumbing is gone. I didn't do marbles as I removed the soleniods and hoses. I am an idiot, though. I bought (along with several other items) a set of coasters to replace the reed valves only to discover that the previous owner had already done it.

So, as a side, I have a set of coasters still in the wraping, untouched. I anyone wants, will sell 20.00 and I'll ship. Paid 26.00 plus shipping.

My exaust is VH baggers. I was using the dog dishes with the Thunder kit, but, when I got the bike there were a pair of Vulcan fire and steel chrome air cleaner covers that came with it. I never knew what to do with them since they didn't fit with the stock set up ???. Well......NOW I know what to do with them!!

I Installed one over the KN filter on the Thunder kit. I LIKE IT!! So I think I'll build a braket and install the other on the dead side. So, Glenn it's simple, air in, exaust out. And the TFI to control the whole thing.

Hey, BD. I checked Gadgets, cause something kept bugging me about the settings I was reporting. I had it backwards, Pot 3 at 1:00 and 4 at 9:00. But, tell me if my thinking is right. As #2 dumps gas, wouldn't I want to back off on the setting if I'm getting a little bog at WOT, but she perks up if I back off a little?

And, I went with a settng on #1 that was just a little beyond max Idle at 2000rpm because I figured when the fast idle peaked I was at the 'leanest' setting possible with the Tfi, and wanted just a hair more fuel in my overall mix. Over simple or what?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Top Contributor

TFI question

hms.....the best idle is the optimal air/fuel ratio...not the leanest...anything above "1" is richer than the stock ecm settings...the tfi will only add fuel..not lean it out. I think you need to back your number one off to at least best idle (mine is actually a little under that right now). I think your entire mixture is too rich.....the pot 2 setting is just momentary...I mean like a second or less. I think if you will back off #1, you will be happy and your mileage will improve with performance.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI question

+1 #2 only dumps fuel for about 1/2 second then it's off again.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #19

TFI question

I have a question as well, with a lot of us having purchased the TFI, the set up will vary from altitude and original running condition. Therefore, my question is if my bike never pinged and had no performance issues, and I installed the TFI just to gain some HP and torque, would I back the No. 1 pot back as far as I can? I did have some popping on deceleration after I put my Cobras on.

Thanks in advance. voyager

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

TFI question

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=7358&page=4

read my post on this carefully! Even Mac like it!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
TFI question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Man, I can't see how you alls can have the TFI set so low!! I'm stock *debaffled" K&N left side and I had to run 3-6-9-1 to stop pinging. That is on regular gas. Ran like crap on premium before..
BD aka Liberal Buster,

That is due to the sh*tty liberal gas in CA. :) Here in OK and in TX we still use real gas. :)

Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

TFI question

Those damn liberals!!!!

Member # 0005

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #23

TFI question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness
Hey, Glenn. I installed the Thunder kit and adapter on Gadgets under Stealth air kit. All the plumbing is gone. I didn't do marbles as I removed the soleniods and hoses. I am an idiot, though. I bought (along with several other items) a set of coasters to replace the reed valves only to discover that the previous owner had already done it.

So, as a side, I have a set of coasters still in the wraping, untouched. I anyone wants, will sell 20.00 and I'll ship. Paid 26.00 plus shipping.

My exaust is VH baggers. I was using the dog dishes with the Thunder kit, but, when I got the bike there were a pair of Vulcan fire and steel chrome air cleaner covers that came with it. I never knew what to do with them since they didn't fit with the stock set up ???. Well......NOW I know what to do with them!!

I Installed one over the KN filter on the Thunder kit. I LIKE IT!! So I think I'll build a braket and install the other on the dead side. So, Glenn it's simple, air in, exaust out. And the TFI to control the whole thing.

Hey, BD. I checked Gadgets, cause something kept bugging me about the settings I was reporting. I had it backwards, Pot 3 at 1:00 and 4 at 9:00. But, tell me if my thinking is right. As #2 dumps gas, wouldn't I want to back off on the setting if I'm getting a little bog at WOT, but she perks up if I back off a little?

And, I went with a settng on #1 that was just a little beyond max Idle at 2000rpm because I figured when the fast idle peaked I was at the 'leanest' setting possible with the Tfi, and wanted just a hair more fuel in my overall mix. Over simple or what?

Hey HMS,
What do the Coasters do? I'm probably going to do the Caddman and V&H Baggers soon. Haven't ordered the Pipes yet. I'm going to ride my buddies bike maybe this Saturday with my wife on the back to confirm we can still talk back and forth with Baggers before I decide and order the new exhaust. If I need them for the intake change over, I will buy the coasters from you.
It appears the Dennis Kirk has the best price for V&H Baggers @ $424 with free shipping.
Thanks.
Glenn

Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #24

TFI question

Coasters are just a set of plates that cover the hole left by removing the air injectors at the front and back of each pot respectively. I didn't check but if memory serves, there are also some plugs in the packaging for the plumbing. Check Gadgets for a full explanation with some good pics.

Thanks, BD, and Todd. Got it!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #25
Top Contributor

TFI question

My numbers on my TFI are like BD. I have them close to his numbers but not exactly. I lost 1-2 mpg city but what you make up for it in everything else is worth it. NO ping in any gear at any speed. Pulls strong in all gears even 4-5th. Guess I have numbers set pretty close to ideal for my bike :-)