Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
TFI question

When talking about settings, such as 2:30, 5:30, etc. How are you guys setting these? I see on the pots at the bottom there are numbers for right to left 1, 2, 3. Are these what you all are talking about as your starting point?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Top Contributor

TFI question

YES, as you look at the pots it should look like a clock. 1pm around to near 11 or 12. 1pm is OFF

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Advanced Member

TFI question

Doc,

On mine there are numbers 1,2,3 going clockwise, but the 1 is about where 5:00 would be on a real clock. Should I not pay attention to those numbers?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI question

And this is a Techlusion Fuel Injection (4 pots)????

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #5

TFI question

I just recently installed the exact unit you are refering to. At first the 1,2, and 3 confused me too. But I went back and after carefully reading the instructions, figured out that I could ignore the #'s .

Just turn the pots all the way left and when they stop, you're at 1:00. Six o'clock is straight down, 3:00 to your right, 9:00 to the left.

Then, as you turn them to the right, the first mark you encounter is 2:00 and so on.

I installed the Thunder kit, and found my best settings to be 1:30, 2:45, 1:00, and 9:00. Runs like a scalded ape at WOT, and needs less throttle to get moving. In fact, I noticed my shift points have changed from right at 3000 rpm to 2700 plus or minus. She moves with greater ease at less throttle.

I went out yesterday for a little 200 plus mile countryside run on all kinds of hills, flats, backroads and highways. Speed from 50 to 110, but stayed 65 to 75 mostly. The wind was NASTY :(" title="" border="0"/>, at no less than 30 mph, and my milage went UP!! I figured 39.7 avg. up from 37-38.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Advanced Member

TFI question

Thanks HMS. That is exactly what I was looking for. My wife and I went and did 135 miles yesterday. It was wonderful out. Thanks again for the info.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

TFI question

Man, I can't see how you alls can have the TFI set so low!! I'm stock *debaffled" K&N left side and I had to run 3-6-9-1 to stop pinging. That is on regular gas. Ran like crap on premium before..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #8

TFI question

I don't know, BD. Mine pinged pretty bad, terrible on hot days (not many of those in Houston). This was with 93 octane. I forgot to mention, but I have swithched to 89 and all is great. Don't know yet about 87 as I haven't tried it.

I do know that if I turn the TFI up more, at, say 1800 rmp in top gear I'll get a little bogging if turning on too much throttle. Tells me it 's too rich, so where it is is where it works ???.

Can't say what's going on with your bike. That sure seems like a lot. How's your mileage?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Advanced Member

TFI question

And that's why I think the TFI's ( Dobeck / Cobra / G-man / etc) are a better idea than the friggin PCIII version! Everybody seems to have a different happy setting and can tweek then at will!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

TFI question

Mileage is down 5mpg's in the city, about 2 on the highway (that's more than acceptable!). I started with the numbers you are using and it still pinged like a pig!!

Member # 0005

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

TFI question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness
I just recently installed the exact unit you are refering to. At first the 1,2, and 3 confused me too. But I went back and after carefully reading the instructions, figured out that I could ignore the #'s .

Just turn the pots all the way left and when they stop, you're at 1:00. Six o'clock is straight down, 3:00 to your right, 9:00 to the left.

Then, as you turn them to the right, the first mark you encounter is 2:00 and so on.

I installed the Thunder kit, and found my best settings to be 1:30, 2:45, 1:00, and 9:00. Runs like a scalded ape at WOT, and needs less throttle to get moving. In fact, I noticed my shift points have changed from right at 3000 rpm to 2700 plus or minus. She moves with greater ease at less throttle.

I went out yesterday for a little 200 plus mile countryside run on all kinds of hills, flats, backroads and highways. Speed from 50 to 110, but stayed 65 to 75 mostly. The wind was NASTY :(" title="" border="0"/>, at no less than 30 mph, and my milage went UP!! I figured 39.7 avg. up from 37-38.

HMS,
What Thunder Air Kit and exhaust are you running. Did you block off the leftside, disconnect the solenoids and put marbles or bearings in the hoses?
Thanks.
Glenn

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #12

TFI question

I'm struggling with my setup on a 1600. I need to continue to play with the settings I guess.

I've got the TFI, Caddman right-side filter, V&H Baggers, no solenoids, and plugged the tube too. I've not been able to ride much, but what I have seen is that my bike has turned into a gas hog. I may have it set too rich right now. The power is good at the lower gears, and no more pinging even with regular gas, but I've got a stronger gas and exhaust smell mentioned by others when I park it, and my MPG has really dropped. I ran my first full tank through on Saturday and got only 31 mpg. I was at about 37 before the mods. I filled it a little below the filler neck and only 120 miles later, I was on one bar on the fuel gauge. Used to go 160-170 before that point before. Filled up last night and by the time I rode 25 miles to work this morning, I'd dropped one bar on the fuel gauge.

No "oomph" still on the highway in 5th gear. I don't ride that fast, but if I shift into 5th at less about 70-75 on the speedo, it bogs. At any kind of a hill, I need to go back to 4th for a bit. I hear others mention wanting a 6th gear, and I hardly make use of my 5th! :)

I'm afraid I've spent all this money on goodies to only end up with a fussy bike now.

Should I start with backing down pot #1? I don't want to change too many things at once and further complicate matters. The green pot is at about 2:30. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #13

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
TFI question

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty
I'm struggling with my setup on a 1600. I need to continue to play with the settings I guess.

I've got the TFI, Caddman right-side filter, V&H Baggers, no solenoids, and plugged the tube too. I've not been able to ride much, but what I have seen is that my bike has turned into a gas hog. I may have it set too rich right now. The power is good at the lower gears, and no more pinging even with regular gas, but I've got a stronger gas and exhaust smell mentioned by others when I park it, and my MPG has really dropped. I ran my first full tank through on Saturday and got only 31 mpg. I was at about 37 before the mods. I filled it a little below the filler neck and only 120 miles later, I was on one bar on the fuel gauge. Used to go 160-170 before that point before. Filled up last night and by the time I rode 25 miles to work this morning, I'd dropped one bar on the fuel gauge.

No "oomph" still on the highway in 5th gear. I don't ride that fast, but if I shift into 5th at less about 70-75 on the speedo, it bogs. At any kind of a hill, I need to go back to 4th for a bit. I hear others mention wanting a 6th gear, and I hardly make use of my 5th! :)

I'm afraid I've spent all this money on goodies to only end up with a fussy bike now.

Should I start with backing down pot #1? I don't want to change too many things at once and further complicate matters. The green pot is at about 2:30. Thanks.
Don't get discouraged superduty, there are miracle workers on this board. ;) When I installed my TFI and added the caddmann I removed the solenoids and forgot to plug the holes. It drove me crazy that evening. But after a break and gathering my thoughts I figured it out. Oh, and as mentioned before in another thread by someone else, I saw the numbers on the Pots on the TFI and the first time I used them for the reference. Mistake!!
My point is don't get discouraged, I've been there and a few others to. It stings a little dropping about two hundred on a stupid little box with wires and you can't make it work. Let me assure you when you do get it running you goiing to scream money well spent And if you haven't, use electric grease on your fittings for a better connection.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

TFI question

Superduty. Start leaning it our on the first pot until you get some pinging on regular. Whatever that setting turns out to be, double it and that should be a starting point for the second pot. The 3rd pot should be at 9 and the 4th off or counter clockwise until it stops turning, usually this is 1:00.

Setting the 1st pot takes some time actually. You want to set it so that when your pulling a grade in top gear, say 75 and need to give a little throttle to hold a speed, you don't get pinging. Pinging at a steady throttle position is deadly on a motor. Mine would do that on premium!

I tested mine at a long uphill grade and found a setting that allowed me to hold 75 uphill steady throttle, no ping. Air temp close to 90 degrees.

Doubling it was 6 o'clock for me. The second pot is the "tip in" pot. when you grab a big handfull of throttle it creates a big vacumn in the intake and this pot shoots raw gas down the injectors to nulify this condition. Otherwise your bike would just "gasp" for a second or two when twisting the throttle abruptly. find a setting that doesn't create pinging when opening the throttle a large amount quickly.

Don't get discouraged. In town you will lose mileage and just accept that. On the highway you should be close to stock. I'm getting about 135 miles in town before my low fuel light comes on. On the highway I'm getting about 160. I'm ready for a break by then anyway.

Member # 0005

Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Advanced Member

TFI question

On my cobra I tried the suggested settings and the thing sucked fuel and hesitated at speed also. After fiddling around with it for a couple of weeks I have it so it gets just slightly better milage than stock on highway - same mileage in town as stock but no pinging or hesitation anywhere. On the PCIII there was never any settings that didn't suck fuel! The bike went like a raped ape - but you couldn't go for any distance without running outa fuel!
Keep pluggin away and you will finally get the magic settings for your bike and then you will be very pleased!!