Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Sounds like a diesel

My '06 1600 Classic (as close as I could get to a Nomad) has a little over 7k and never been in the shop since I bought it used with 5K. As far as I can tell it seems to be running alright but has a variety of ticks, rattles, etc. that I figure/hope are just natural to the beast.
Lately, on occasion, after it warms up a little and I am stopped at a light it has a louder than usual sound like a diesel engine at idle.
It just started doing this so I thought the best thing is to first ask about it here.

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Sounds like a diesel

Has the oil ever been changed? To early for a can chain. Is this stock? A stock bike makes all sorts of clicking noise from the right side seated. Mostly at idle. Maybe the right side fake dogbowl cover looks like an air cleaner is loose, and you hear the ISC solenoids clattering like mad.. I sure hope so....

ON EDIT: can chain should be cam chain. Most nearly every letter on these keys is worn away! Firther more i can't speel, never could type my wife says I am a hunting pecker

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #3

Sounds like a diesel

Mac, I took the right and left side dog dishes off while doing my 7,500 mile service. I was astounded at the amount of noise the solenoids make with the dish off. Noisy doesn't come close to describing it.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Sounds like a diesel

Mac, I done look'ed all over for my can chain.......where is it? I have a californy version and I have a one of dem canister hiding under da left side cover but my chain be missing!!! Will dat make a difference?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #5

Sounds like a diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Has the oil ever been changed? To early for a can chain. Is this stock? A stock bike makes all sorts of clicking noise from the right side seated. Mostly at idle. Maybe the right side fake dogbowl cover looks like an air cleaner is loose, and you hear the ISC solenoids clattering like mad.. I sure hope so....
I changed the oil a few hundred miles ago using Rotella oil. I drained it from the side to clean out the internal filter as suggested here. Sure enough found a few bits of (?) in there.
The bike is stock except for V&H long shots that were on the bike when I bought it.
I checked the covers on both sides. The right one was solid and the left would barely move so I'll remove/check and reinstall this weekend.
I'm not sure what anything is supposed to sound like but there are various other tapping and clicking sounds that I have heard since I bought the bike. The lower diesel engine sound appears to be something recent.
The bike seems to run fine and has plenty of scoot although the only thing I have to compare it to is a Suzuki C50 (800cc).
Any recommendations for what to look for or what should be done is appreciated. I hate to spend money at the dealer only to have them tell me it is normal or not to worry (and then have it blow up under me).

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #6

Sounds like a diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I changed the oil a few hundred miles ago using Rotella oil. I drained it from the side to clean out the internal filter as suggested here. Sure enough found a few bits of (?) in there.
The bike is stock except for V&H long shots that were on the bike when I bought it.
I checked the covers on both sides. The right one was solid and the left would barely move so I'll remove/check and reinstall this weekend.
I'm not sure what anything is supposed to sound like but there are various other tapping and clicking sounds that I have heard since I bought the bike. The lower diesel engine sound appears to be something recent.
The bike seems to run fine and has plenty of scoot although the only thing I have to compare it to is a Suzuki C50 (800cc).
Any recommendations for what to look for or what should be done is appreciated. I hate to spend money at the dealer only to have them tell me it is normal or not to worry (and then have it blow up under me).

Cheers!
Did you get a tank of sh*tty gas? I had that happen once. It ran like sh*t and was so noisy I actually considered manually draining the tank.
I know it is a long shot but have you tried some sea foam and a little carb cleaner on the intake to ensure that it isn't dirty.

I would lean toward bad gas. How does it act when you start it? Does it fire right off the same as before or does it start a little hard? Is this something that you hear all the time or perhaps only after it is warmed up?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #7

Sounds like a diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop

Cheers!
Did you get a tank of sh*tty gas? I had that happen once. It ran like sh*t and was so noisy I actually considered manually draining the tank.
I know it is a long shot but have you tried some sea foam and a little carb cleaner on the intake to ensure that it isn't dirty.

I would lean toward bad gas. How does it act when you start it? Does it fire right off the same as before or does it start a little hard? Is this something that you hear all the time or perhaps only after it is warmed up?
I'll put a little sea foam in the tank just in case. It would be great if that would take care of it. The bike seems to start up and run fine and if I twist the throttle it accelerates nicely. I just hope that it isn't something that will bite me latter on.

Cheers

Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Sounds like a diesel

BD the cali bike hasn't got a cam chain. It has a big rubber band instead....

Bebop, pull off the right side air cleaner cover as you are seated.. that right side... Then with that thing off start the bike and see if that clatter is it, or not.. While the engine is at idle put the dog bowl on and pull it off as you listen, just hold it by hand for this test.

I am thinking nothing is wrong and you just discovered the ISC's

These are a idle device, and they make one hell of a racket..

I couldn't live with it and took em off...

If you like pull one wire off each one and while the engine is running if you want, then listen more and decide...

Of course there is stuff to know, so put the wires back for now..

I just want to know if the ISC (idle solenoid ccontroll) are what the sound is. If that s all it is then it is all normal.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

Sounds like a diesel

I agree with Mac - These babies growl, howl, rattle, clang and bang, and every once in awhile even whistle at ya.... I don't know if loud pipes saves lives, but you won't hear all that crap with'm