Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Advanced Member

little HELP !!!

Well it's been over a month that I went riding,went out this morning and got bike out and decided to wash and clean so I can take it out. Bike cranked up and I rode it maybe 20 yards and then washed it, took leaf blower and dried it off. Saw one of my light bar bulbs had blown and changed it out, turned switch and it works again. That's all I did.

Now my bike won't crank up, It turns over but won't fire. I checked the clutch switch and it's ok. I ran the battery down pretty good trying. Got the charger on it now

So what do I need to check this afternoon that might be the problem?

Brad
VBA #00077

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #2

little HELP !!!

Probably needs to dry out more. I've never had a problem washing mine but some people here have.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

little HELP !!!

My first guess is standing before the bike looking back over the seats, the lamp you fixed is on the right of your body. Or as seated on the bike that lamp is on your left..

And so if my guess is correct you probably bumped the clutch lever switch and didn't know it. Which in turn pulled the clutch safety wires off the switch, but not so much you can just see. There is a semi transparent cover of a plastic covering the switch, so the first thing I would do is pull that cover back, see if the 2 wire connectors is off/loose and put it back on snug.

If you do simply find this pulled off, clean all contacts and smear a dob of dielectric grease on them...

Then go ride a few miles fer me since I got some wicked cold still..

Obviously I don't know if you just looked, or pulled the cover back...

Since the engine cranks it should start.. I would do all switch tests and be sure I was in neutral clutch In still.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

little HELP !!!

If trying to start the bike in gear, and the clutch lever isn't pulled in, my bike won't even turn over. Push the starter and nothing happens. Same with the sidestand switch. I don't know if a 2002 is any different.

What kind of air filter do you have? If it's one with exposed elements, maybe the filter media is saturated and you're not getting any air?

Just tossing out ideas here.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

little HELP !!!

The only thing I can suggest is either something got wet and needs to dry out or something got disconnected. Go over it with a finely-tuned eye and see if you accidentally disconnected something.

Just brainstorming, but did the coils up under the tank get wet? What about the spark plug holes, are they dry? Kinda sounds like you got 'em full of water and the plugs are shorting out. That's a far-out guess, of course.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Advanced Member

little HELP !!!

I have a 2003 & I know it is very easy to flood the engine if you give it ANY gas when starting. Do not twist the throttle until the bike starts.

Stand in front of the bike & pull the clutch in. Look to see if the little button on the switch is coming out. If not then the bike will not start. I have that problem when I let the bike sit for an extended time.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #7

little HELP !!!

You didn't bump the cut off switch on the right handlebar accidently? I've done that before.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
little HELP !!!

Spark plug socket wells filled with water?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

little HELP !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Spark plug socket wells filled with water?
Good suggestion, and one I would never have thought of. I don't use a lot of water cleaning bikes..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Advanced Member

little HELP !!!

Thanks Guys for all the things to look for. I got it to crank this afternoon. Mac the clutch switch was snug and I did unplug it several times to make sure everything was clean and did add alittle grease. CJ I do have a expossed air filter but it is still good and red from the K&N oil so I don't think it was that.

Mac must have been right the clutch safety wires and me trying to crank it so long could it have flooded?

But it's now running.

Thanks So much

Brad
VBA #00077

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Advanced Member

little HELP !!!

ANOTHER problem solved by the KawaNow Garage Rats. Good going fellow rodents...............

Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

little HELP !!!

I didn't mention flooding, Taranis did... And you could have if the plugs were wet shorted, because the injectors wouldn't know the plugs were wasting spark.

Since it ran later and you rode chances are things are dry, but at this point I would make sure.

I would pull the plug wires off the plugs and and with a good light look down in the plug holes at the ceramics on the plugs and see if they are clean. You don't want deposits of crud and mung on the ceramics.. The inside of the plug wires too... clean em up.

I used to play great pranks on my mechanics crew.. They would tune up their own stuff, sometimes on shop time, which was sort of ok.. They have to get to work too ya know?

But then it was back to the grind stone. Since I answered the phone, did 19 tune ups a day and maybe toss in a 4 wheel brake job always milling rotors and drums, or a clutch, I had penty of time to joke around and go pull their plug wires off, and lead pencil lines from the plug tops to the hex where the socket fits..

Sometimes that action delayed their great big egos from getting home on time, which in turn prevented them sometimes from 'getting any'.... Ho Ho Ho..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
little HELP !!!

macmac,

You are evil!!!! :)

Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

little HELP !!!

:-* Who me?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 02-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #15

little HELP !!!

Mac's right. I've seen the same fix information on gadgets page too. You should be ok. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
My first guess is standing before the bike looking back over the seats, the lamp you fixed is on the right of your body. Or as seated on the bike that lamp is on your left..

And so if my guess is correct you probably bumped the clutch lever switch and didn't know it. Which in turn pulled the clutch safety wires off the switch, but not so much you can just see. There is a semi transparent cover of a plastic covering the switch, so the first thing I would do is pull that cover back, see if the 2 wire connectors is off/loose and put it back on snug.

If you do simply find this pulled off, clean all contacts and smear a dob of dielectric grease on them...

Then go ride a few miles fer me since I got some wicked cold still..

Obviously I don't know if you just looked, or pulled the cover back...

Since the engine cranks it should start.. I would do all switch tests and be sure I was in neutral clutch In still.