Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #46
Top Contributor

Removing Silencers

Lefty loosey, righty tighty Topcat

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #47
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Removing Silencers

<marquee>So that means Nico has a counterclockwise colon?</marquee>

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #48

Removing Silencers

Quote:
<marquee>So that means Nico has a counterclockwise colon?</marquee>

old prison habit

Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #49

Removing Silencers

<marquee></marquee>

.................................................. .........

Old 11-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #50

Removing Silencers

Quote:
I have been trying for 2 hours to get the filter off the bike :(
Just to be sure, if I am standing directly behind the bike I want to turn the filter to the left to remove it , correct? That thing will just not budge. I have changed it before but now I am second guessing myself :-[
User error

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #51

Removing Silencers

Ok Got it off and new one on. This time it is only hand tight.
Will go for ride tomorrow and let you know how it sounds.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #52
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

don't EVER put a filter on with a wrench EVER! You shouldn't even twist it on any harder than it takes to pop a top off of a bottle of beer. maybe 10 lbs. of torque. It doesn't take much to seal it. Report back on the sound...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #53

Removing Silencers

Thanks BD! I went out to the garage right after I read your post last night and 20 minutes later it was done! I rode to work today (45 minutes one way at 55 to 65 mph) and I think the sound is great. Not very loud at all, just a good rumble.

When cutting the pipe I used a piece of aluminum rod 1 1/8" in diameter with a 1/4" hole about 1" deep in it as a pilot for the hole saw. The piece of rod was about 1 1/2" long. It fit right in the hole in the pipe and kept the hole saw from wobbling even a little bit. I think a wood rod that size would work just as well.

I find myself forced to exalt you for this post.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #54

Removing Silencers

Quote:
don't EVER put a filter on with a wrench EVER! You shouldn't even twist it on any harder than it takes to pop a top off of a bottle of beer. maybe 10 lbs. of torque. It doesn't take much to seal it. Report back on the sound...
When putting on oil filters I have always turned them 3/4 to 1 full turn after the gasket makes contact OR hand tight whatever comes first.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #55
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

Take a drill bit 1/8 "(inserted into the power drill) drill half way into the dowel, that is bigger in diameter than the exhaust hole, then get a wood flat file and turn on the drill to spin the dowel and grind about an inch down like a lathe so that the grounded part fits very tightly in the exhaust. It worked for me.

I live by the sermon: 'sitting back and waiting for someone else to come up with an answer to fix a problem does not a "crew member" make. Those are called "passengers" in life' Thats why I tinker around so much probably!

We all know people who always critique others ideas and complain while waiting for a solution for themselves. Don't be intimidated to jump in and get your hands dirty Wolfster! You can do it!

Since I had no lathe I had to scratch my noggin to come up with this poor man's lathe..

Member # 0005

Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #56

Removing Silencers

Right on BD. I went to Home depot got a good quality metal saw. Spent MAYBE 5 minutes MAX drilling each one. I found a wooden dowel I had laying around that was a hair smaller than the exaust hole so I just wrapped a couple layers of duct tape around it and hammered it in baby!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Removing Silencers

So Wolfman, how do you like the sound? Any regrets? Is it a nice rumble? Input man, input.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #58

Removing Silencers

I couldn't be happier with the sound! Talk about BASS! Really not all that loud surprisingly more deep than loud . In fact I don't think I've ever heard a bike that deep. I love winding it up and letting off and coasting it sounds so cool. The nicest thing about it is that it doesn't pop, crackle and backfire like after market pipes do sometimes. So BD should I send you the 500 dollars I would have spent?

I was worried I was going to get an airy whistling sound like the one I got when I drilled the back plates on my shadow. NONE of that just a little louder with tons of bass.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #59

Removing Silencers

My wife said it sounds good too.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #60
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

I'm glad you like it Wolfster. There is no other sound like it. Deep deep thunder off in the distant sound. No backfiring, No off throttle barking. I'm working on my next mod. Will report back when done! Glad you both trusted that I knew you would like that sound.

Thanks for the dinero but your money should be saved for other things for your Nomad! Your satisfaction is payment enough. I'm bummed Dan gave up on his Nomad. Maybe he really did have a lemon that shounded like sh*t?? who knows. I hope is is happy though.

BD

Member # 0005