Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Wolo Bad Boy on my Voyager, where???

Hello all, I just purchased a Wolo Bad Boy Chrome from Amazon. I got forced out of my lane the other day and I'm pretty sure the cager did not hear my wimpy horn. Well, that's it, this is a matter of safety.
I've heard great things about the Wolo and that's why I bought it. However, where the hell do I mount the damn thing??
I've heard horror stories about mounting it in the stock location. Apparently people have hit big bumps and their fender smacked into the horn. Has anyone had this happen on the Voyager?
I've heard of people mounting it in the lower right fairing but have not seen pics. Can anyone show me this and explain?
I've heard of people mounting it to the frame right up and above the gear shift. Is it loud enough being behind the lower? How did you make a bracket? Pics please.
Has anyone ever thought of mounting it on the saddlebag guard, kind of in front between the bike and the saddlebag?
Please let me know specifically for the Voyager, as it seems the most difficult to figure out where to put it.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #2

When I originally purchased my Bad Boy, I made the mistake of mounting it where the original was. Put a big ass dent in the back of my fender. Relocated it to the right side front crash bar. It's out in the open where it can project the sound really well.

Last edited by Ponitail; 05-14-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

I would be cautious on mounting that anywhere even or behind your head - Don't want to scare you right out of your seat when you blow it.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #4

What is that rope thing attached to your front brake down toward your crash bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponitail View Post
When I originally purchased my Bad Boy, I made the mistake of mounting it where the original was. Put a big ass dent in the back of my fender. Relocated it to the right side front crash bar. It's out in the open where it can project the sound really well.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Those are get back whips. I saw them once and liked them so I shopped around and found a guy in Texas who makes them to order. I had him make a couple in silver and white. They originally had a quick disconnect on them to allow you to pull them off, but I mounted them on permanently.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Those are get back whips. I saw them once and liked them so I shopped around and found a guy in Texas who makes them to order. I had him make a couple in silver and white. They originally had a quick disconnect on them to allow you to pull them off, but I mounted them on permanently.
What is the history behind the Get Back Whips?
And is that the horn on the crash bars?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #7

Not sure if this is accurate or not but this is what I found.

http://ride-ct.com/the-purpose-of-the-get-back-whip/

Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #8

Yup... Local outlaw motorcycle gang is now mostly geriatric & suffering from the same knee & hip replacements and poor eyesight that the rest of us are. But I still remember how fearsome they could be back in the day... somewhere around the mid 70's.

One of them had "get-back-whips" made from lengths of chain with leather bound through them. Any motorist who got a little too close to him saw it unclipped & swung around a little as a warning. At least one motorist I know of didn't heed the warning & it came through the windshield.

Those were the days eh?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the great suggestion. What did you use as a bracket? A P clamp? Whatever you used, where did you get it?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Hello all, I just purchased a Wolo Bad Boy Chrome from Amazon. I got forced out of my lane the other day and I'm pretty sure the cager did not hear my wimpy horn. Well, that's it, this is a matter of safety.
I've heard great things about the Wolo and that's why I bought it. However, where the hell do I mount the damn thing??
I've heard horror stories about mounting it in the stock location. Apparently people have hit big bumps and their fender smacked into the horn. Has anyone had this happen on the Voyager?
I've heard of people mounting it in the lower right fairing but have not seen pics. Can anyone show me this and explain?
I've heard of people mounting it to the frame right up and above the gear shift. Is it loud enough being behind the lower? How did you make a bracket? Pics please.
Has anyone ever thought of mounting it on the saddlebag guard, kind of in front between the bike and the saddlebag?
Please let me know specifically for the Voyager, as it seems the most difficult to figure out where to put it.
Thanks

I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 36" angle that was 12 ga thick. It has 3/8" holes the length of each leg. I cut a short piece and mounted it where the upper crash bar mounts to the frame.

It took a little bending to get it to clear the things I wanted it to clear, but it works great. It is real close to the factory wiring for the original horn. I brought a fuse protected wire from the battery and ran the power through a relay that was switched by the factory signal wire.

I will try to get some pic's a little later tonight.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #11

I have heard of those compact air-horns being mounted inside the leg shields on a Voyager. They need to be separated into two components, compressor & horn, one part inside the top of each leg shield, joined by a length of heat-resistant hose run between them... True stealth installation.

For my own horn, I've used dual-tone car horns mounted with clamps to the crash bars in those leg shields, run off a relay. Cheaper option, but almost as loud if you find just the right car horns. I got mine from a wrecker's yard.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Here is how I mounted the WoLo BAD BOY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170829_100655_resized.jpg (95.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20170829_100711_resized.jpg (86.4 KB, 77 views)

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Thanks for the great suggestion. What did you use as a bracket? A P clamp? Whatever you used, where did you get it?
Schlappy: I used a piece of 1/4 x 1 aluminum bar stock with 3 holes drilled in it. 1 for the horn mount and 2 for a u-bolt. I used a stainless steel u-bolt with stainless steel stop nuts
Ponitail

Last edited by Ponitail; 05-14-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Schlappy: I used a piece of 1/4 x 1 aluminum bar stock with 3 holes drilled in it. 1 for the horn mount and 2 for a u-bolt. I used a stainless steel u-bolt with stainless steel stop nuts
Ponitail
You're a genius! That's exactly what I'm gonna do, that's an awesome way to rig it. I have been trying to figure out some kind of clamp or order an overpriced chrome clamp or something, but I like your idea.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #15

Ok, so thanks to advice from Ponytail, I now have my new Wolo Bad Boy mounted on my bike and it is loud. I don't see how anyone won't hear my horn now.
Thank you all for your suggestions etc, it is much appreciated.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk