Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 AM   #1

Help with what to see in Canada!

We are looking forward to the Quebec rally. We are coming from the Black Hills in South Dakota, straight north to Saskatchewan then across to the rally. I'm shooting for only about 300 miles (483 K) per day. Would like to get some suggestions on routes, and interesting stops. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
2011 Rally in the Redwoods, CA
2013 National, Estes Park, CO
2013 SE Regional, Blairsville, GA
2014 NW Regional, Orifino, ID
2014 NC/SC Regional in the Ozarks, AR
2016 NC Regional, Hillsboro, WI
2016 E. Canada/NE Regional, Quebec
2017 National, Lake George, NY
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Cool, looking forward to meeting you. Sask. And Manitoba are very flat prairie provinces and not a lot to see. After Brandon Manitoba and as you get into Ontario going around the lake head, it gets much more scenic. I have only travelled that area twice so hopefully others can chim in with more info. Ontario is a very large Provence and will take about 24 to ride through. Once you are past Toronto if you travel the 401, Kingston is a very nice city, very old and historic. Just east is Gananoque, home of the Thousand Island tourist area. Very scenic and things to do. Right after Gananoque rather than continue on the 401 I would take the Thousand Island parkway. It follows the river and is a beautiful ride with picnic stops etc. It ends at Brockville but you could continue along the river by staying on old highway2, or go back on the 401 for quickness. Either way, I would take highway 34 north at Lancaster and follow it up through Alexandria, Vankleek Hill and into Hawkesbury on the Ottawa River . Crossing the bridge at Hawkesbury brings you into Quebec. You are at that point about a 2 hr ride from Mount Tremblant and the hotel. Most direct route is take the 148 to just past Montebello then the 323 to the 117. The base hotel is just a few miles north up the 117 on your right either via chemin ( means road) lac Duhamel or a short driveway directly of the 117 probably less than 1/2 mile further.
Did you get accommodations yet?
Hope this helps,
Norm

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger: Black Hills View Post
We are looking forward to the Quebec rally. We are coming from the Black Hills in South Dakota, straight north to Saskatchewan then across to the rally. I'm shooting for only about 300 miles (483 K) per day. Would like to get some suggestions on routes, and interesting stops. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
You have two options for your route to Quebec, stay in the US travelling south of Lake Michigan and entering Canada at Port Huron, MI / Sarina, ON, OR as you suggested, crossing into Canada in Saskatchewan and traveling through Manitoba and Ontario. Crossing into Canada at Port Huron, MI / Sarnia, ON would defiantly be the quicker route.

As the previous poster stated, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are Prairie Provinces with little to no scenery to see (have driven both many times). Things pick up considerably one you enter Ontario. You will drive through some gorgeous area while in Ontario. Just keep in mind it is a HUGE province. I live near Toronto and can drive to Florida quicker than I can drive to Manitoba.

If you'd like to PM me, I would be more then happy to give you some ideas regarding your route and some areas to avoid.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Cool, looking forward to meeting you. Sask. And Manitoba are very flat prairie provinces and not a lot to see. After Brandon Manitoba and as you get into Ontario going around the lake head, it gets much more scenic. I have only travelled that area twice so hopefully others can chim in with more info. Ontario is a very large Provence and will take about 24 to ride through. Once you are past Toronto if you travel the 401, Kingston is a very nice city, very old and historic. Just east is Gananoque, home of the Thousand Island tourist area. Very scenic and things to do. Right after Gananoque rather than continue on the 401 I would take the Thousand Island parkway. It follows the river and is a beautiful ride with picnic stops etc. It ends at Brockville but you could continue along the river by staying on old highway2, or go back on the 401 for quickness. Either way, I would take highway 34 north at Lancaster and follow it up through Alexandria, Vankleek Hill and into Hawkesbury on the Ottawa River . Crossing the bridge at Hawkesbury brings you into Quebec. You are at that point about a 2 hr ride from Mount Tremblant and the hotel. Most direct route is take the 148 to just past Montebello then the 323 to the 117. The base hotel is just a few miles north up the 117 on your right either via chemin ( means road) lac Duhamel or a short driveway directly of the 117 probably less than 1/2 mile further.
Did you get accommodations yet?
Hope this helps,
Norm
Thank you Norm! Yes, we have reservations (for months actually). I appreciate your input and am also looking forward to meeting you.
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Old 07-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticCeith View Post
You have two options for your route to Quebec, stay in the US travelling south of Lake Michigan and entering Canada at Port Huron, MI / Sarina, ON, OR as you suggested, crossing into Canada in Saskatchewan and traveling through Manitoba and Ontario. Crossing into Canada at Port Huron, MI / Sarnia, ON would defiantly be the quicker route.

As the previous poster stated, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are Prairie Provinces with little to no scenery to see (have driven both many times). Things pick up considerably one you enter Ontario. You will drive through some gorgeous area while in Ontario. Just keep in mind it is a HUGE province. I live near Toronto and can drive to Florida quicker than I can drive to Manitoba.

If you'd like to PM me, I would be more then happy to give you some ideas regarding your route and some areas to avoid.
Thank you Keith! We appreciate your comments. We will be taking the northern route to fill out my ride map for Canada. We spent several days in British Columbia and Alberta in '09 and would like to pick up the rest of the southern provinces. After the rally we will be riding on to New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia and then try to pick up the missing states for our map. Luckily we are retired and can take our time. You may be getting a PM for more information. Thanks again.

Noel
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

Noel sorry I had a senior moment and didn't remember you were on the list. Going to Nova Scotia after, then put Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail on the must do list.
My sig pic was taken there.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 07-10-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Noel sorry I had a senior moment and didn't remember you were on the list. Going to Nova Scotia after, then put Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail on the must do list.
My sig pic was taken there.
As CNC says, if you're going to Nova Scotia you MUST do Cape Breton Island. My father is born and raised there, again, PM me if you want any additional information.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

Not sure when your planning to be in Nova Scotia but there is a rally going on from Aug 31 to Sept.4th, http://www.wharfratrally.com/

Last edited by Scottie31; 07-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Noel, you can also have a talk with Patriot ( Pete ). He lives in Nova Scotia, Yarmouth I think and he will be riding up for the rally.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie31 View Post
Not sure when your planning to be in Nova Scotia but there is a rally going on from Aug 31 to Sept.4th, http://www.wharfratrally.com/
Thanks for the info but we will be about a week ahead of that.
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK

Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Noel, you can also have a talk with Patriot ( Pete ). He lives in Nova Scotia, Yarmouth I think and he will be riding up for the rally.
Great idea! Looking forward to talking with him (and every one else).
2018 SC/NC, Custer, SD
2018 Antlers, OK