Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #16

While we're talking about the heat, what is this best thing for swamp butt. On longer trip I use bicycle short but sometimes that can be a pain. I've seen a lot of guys riding with sheep skin covers how good does that work. Harley makes a nice cover that let's air though but I can't think of it name. So what do you guys think, let me know.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer View Post
While we're talking about the heat, what is this best thing for swamp butt. On longer trip I use bicycle short but sometimes that can be a pain.
If you don't mind spending the money, a custom Kontour Seat will take care of that. The Polar Mesh outer layer flows air like crazy. The first time I rode with only jeans on, I thought I had wet my pants because my rear cooled down so much. Like all custom seats though, these ain't cheap! Oh, seeing how he is in AZ as well, I'm guessing he knows a little about the heat as well. And I've taken the leather strap off the seat as well, as I thought it looked goofy on there.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

If you DO mind spending money, I use a carpeted toilet-lid cover, stuffed with padding and a layer of non-skid underneath. I have been using for years and works great for me.

Maybe about $10.00.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer View Post
While we're talking about the heat, what is this best thing for swamp butt. On longer trip I use bicycle short but sometimes that can be a pain. I've seen a lot of guys riding with sheep skin covers how good does that work. Harley makes a nice cover that let's air though but I can't think of it name. So what do you guys think, let me know.
On really hot and/or long rides. My wife and I both use this;

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx

BTW, shop around. MSRP is $199. I've seen them advertised for way less.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 07-19-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Is anyone riding naked yet?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #21

I usually wear jeans, boots, fingerless gloves and short sleeve T shirt with just a skid lid, non dot for summer months. I wear whatever will keep me warm in the winter including leather jacket and chaps, gloves and full face helmet. I am definitely not an ATGATT rider. Comfort means being able to breathe so at the SE rally in September, please dont judge me!

I tried riding in shorts and sneakers the other day but I live in the country and the road tar, bugs, sand, etc was slapping my legs crazy. Just wasnt a pleasant feeling.

Loafer I rode naked at the Breezy Ride at midnight at a rally once. Actually rode about 20 feet and stopped. IT was 40 degrees out! I guess you could say it was the exact opposite of swamp butt!

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRat View Post
If you DO mind spending money, I use a carpeted toilet-lid cover, stuffed with padding and a layer of non-skid underneath. I have been using for years and works great for me.

Maybe about $10.00.

You deserve props for resourcefulness and creativity, I'll give you that.

Ever had anyone try to lift your seat to take a leak?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
I usually wear jeans, boots, fingerless gloves and short sleeve T shirt with just a skid lid, non dot for summer months. I wear whatever will keep me warm in the winter including leather jacket and chaps, gloves and full face helmet. I am definitely not an ATGATT rider. Comfort means being able to breathe so at the SE rally in September, please dont judge me!

I tried riding in shorts and sneakers the other day but I live in the country and the road tar, bugs, sand, etc was slapping my legs crazy. Just wasnt a pleasant feeling.

Loafer I rode naked at the Breezy Ride at midnight at a rally once. Actually rode about 20 feet and stopped. IT was 40 degrees out! I guess you could say it was the exact opposite of swamp butt!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
...Ever had anyone try to lift your seat to take a leak?

Now that there is funny.

Nobody has ever even noticed what it was. The shape actually contours to the seat and looks a lot like a sheepskin. Like it was made to fit!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #25

I'm a "ride comfy" kind of guy as well, usually preferring boots, jeans, a t-shirt and fingerless gloves, plus my vest (goes everywhere I do on the bike). There were days, though, in the Oklahoma summer heat last year (heat indexes over 115 on quite a few days in a row) that I just simply chose not to ride, because I couldn't even hear the pipes anymore, but rather AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" over and over again. ;) If it's a LONG ride in the summer sun, I'll switch to a nice loose long sleeved cotton shirt to avoid sun exposure, and wet it down repeatedly.

I agree with Mark in the fact that you HAVE to stay hydrated. Even in just the 80's and 90's, the wind while you ride might feel good, but it's still acting like a leech and draining all the moisture from your body.

As for the lid, well, I'm not a lid kinda guy... *shrug* If it were required in my state, I'd probably be a minimalist.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I'm a "ride comfy" kind of guy as well, usually preferring boots, jeans, a t-shirt and fingerless gloves, plus my vest (goes everywhere I do on the bike). There were days, though, in the Oklahoma summer heat last year (heat indexes over 115 on quite a few days in a row) that I just simply chose not to ride, because I couldn't even hear the pipes anymore, but rather AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" over and over again. ;) If it's a LONG ride in the summer sun, I'll switch to a nice loose long sleeved cotton shirt to avoid sun exposure, and wet it down repeatedly.

I agree with Mark in the fact that you HAVE to stay hydrated. Even in just the 80's and 90's, the wind while you ride might feel good, but it's still acting like a leech and draining all the moisture from your body.

As for the lid, well, I'm not a lid kinda guy... *shrug* If it were required in my state, I'd probably be a minimalist.
As far as hydration goes, if you know that you are going to be exposed to excessive heat/wind, start hydrating 1-2 days before hand. If your urine is not clear, keep drinking clear (non-alcoholic) liquids. If you get behind on a ride, YOU CAN NOT CATCH UP. Also, find a way to keep drinking as you ride. More than you can swallow at fuel stops is still not enough.

I forgot to address the "Lid". Most of the time I go for the "Hair combed by my motorcycle" look. If I am getting too much sun, I add a do-rag. When it gets cold, I go from "Novelty Salad bowl", to DOT half, to 3/4. to full face.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #27

Another desert rider here (Az). Like most, in the cooler months I'll wear leathers or my full protection jacket and a 3/4 helmet but when the summer rolls around it's either a t-shirt or very light long sleeve to help keep the sun off, jeans, boots and a 1/2 helmet. Sometimes after we get out of the city onto the country roads I'll ride without a helmet. The night before a summer ride I'll put 3 or 4 bottles of water in the freezer and will have one sitting in my handlebar bottle holder to drink off of often while riding.
I've tried wearing the wet vests for cooling. They do work for about 1/2 hour before they're dry. Thats long enough to get me work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 07-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #28

I just read an article titled "The 150 things the world's smartest people are afraid of". My favorite response was #21 by J. Craig Venter, genomic scientist. His response to his fears was, "Not much. I ride motorcycles without a helmet." (I like this guy!)
After reading his response, all the others started to seem pretentious, politically correct and self serving.

The article is here if your interested - http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/wha...-worried-about

Jim / Houston Texas
VBA #01936
VROC #34478
TexasVROC
2010 Nomad

Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #29

I don't think I have ever had the nads to ride without a helmet. Except for around the block, whic is probably the most dangerous ride.

I may treat myself to a ride just to feel the wind at least once.

I can think of worse ways to go then doing what I love.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
Top Contributor

The reason I ride with a helmet (even out of the driveway) is because I'm afraid, after an accident, I'll live, not die. If I die, I don't have to worry about being a vegatable, etc.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860