Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rambler3
Smile New Vaquero questions.

Just bought a new 2016 Vaquero. I got the sissy bar and adapter, fairing lights and passenger floor boards. Not sure of what height windshield i should get, the stock one is way too low. I like to look just over the shield. What height would that be for a guy that is 5' 11"? Are the bridge stone tires any good? I just sold my Nomad 1600 because i wanted ABS.
How is the ABS on the Vaquero? THANKS, RAMBLER

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler3 View Post
Just bought a new 2016 Vaquero. I got the sissy bar and adapter, fairing lights and passenger floor boards. Not sure of what height windshield i should get, the stock one is way too low. I like to look just over the shield. What height would that be for a guy that is 5' 11"? Are the bridge stone tires any good? I just sold my Nomad 1600 because i wanted ABS.
First off take a look at the saddle on your new skoot. If you plan on upgrading the saddle do it first as the new saddle will influence how high you sit. Then measure the height your eye level is for your new wind screen by looking at a spot 50 feet in front of your skoot on the road. That should get you close to what you want.

You indicated you bought passenger floorboards. Take your thumb and start probing or pushing down on the saddle where your passenger will sit. On mine there were two bolts right under the saddle cover. Your passenger is going to have these pushing in their butt or legs.

The Bridgestones are so so.

I can't answer for the ABS. My 2011 doesn't have it.

Hope this helps.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #3

What SNAKE RANCH said. With passenger, first seat, than windshield.

I didnt like the Bridgestones. Change to the Michelin Commander2.
A lot people dont like the Michelin also, but for me the work and as a bonus, rear tire a little bit wieder and waaayyy more lifetime out of the Michelin than the stock Bridgestones. BUT that all depends on your personal feelings through your popometer.

ABS ? It works, but it is not only ABS, it is also an integrated brake system. If you press the rear brake pedal, ons of the front brake cylinder will be also "activated". Same to the front brake lever. Pull it and one rear brake cylinder will be braking also.

But at some speeds with normal braking, it gives you a "weird" feeling when your use the rear brake and you will recognize tha "activation" of the one front brake cylinder. You will get used to, but at first, it feels a bit weird.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

We call them "brickstones" for a reason.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

I have a 9in klock werks shield I am looking to sell if your interested.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Greetings, Congratulations and Welcome!
As the others have stated, address the seat issue before the shield. As S.R. stated, then measure from your RIDING position.

The ABS works great! Have both a pre ABS and with ABS Vaquero. Love the added safety. With ABS, the front and rear are linked, that takes a little getting used to.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
I put Commander IIs on my 1700 Nomad (essentially same bike) and had trouble with shimmy in the front. I left the Commonder II on the back and put another Bridgestone on the front. The Bridgestone is softer and doesn't create the shimmy. I'm told that if you go to all balls bearings in the steering, the Commander works. My experience on my 900 was that the Commander II lasts wayyyyyy longer than stock, but I do think there might be a softness/good ride versus hard/long lasting/stiffer ride tradeoff. Others might have another take on that.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Rambler3
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting the bike from the dealer, they are putting the accessories on it. Should pick it up Saturday. Haven't had a bike in my Garage for over a week, getting "antsy" to ride. Rambler

Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
First off take a look at the saddle on your new skoot. If you plan on upgrading the saddle do it first as the new saddle will influence how high you sit. Then measure the height your eye level is for your new wind screen by looking at a spot 50 feet in front of your skoot on the road. That should get you close to what you want.

You indicated you bought passenger floorboards. Take your thumb and start probing or pushing down on the saddle where your passenger will sit. On mine there were two bolts right under the saddle cover. Your passenger is going to have these pushing in their butt or legs.

The Bridgestones are so so.

I can't answer for the ABS. My 2011 doesn't have it.

Hope this helps.
All this stuff +1. I done it.... sat on stock seat "Oh, I need the 12" shield... and while I'm at it, I'll get the gel touring saddle, too". So the wind hit me middle of the forehead up and back from Deadwood 2011. Moved up to the 14" shield. I'm 5' 10"

I replaced the stock 'Stones at 7,000 miles, not cuz they were wore out.
Commander IIs are good for running over deer in Wisconsin......

Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdb3684 View Post
I have a 9in klock werks shield I am looking to sell if your interested.
Chuck, I have a 13 Nomad 1700 with a batwing fairing. You don't say what your shield fits. I might be interested if it fits, and I am close to you.....Nevermind, I see that you have a Vaquero (on your facebook page).
Freedom Performance Eagle Slip Ons
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing

2017 Indian Springfield
Wife who is a great cook!
Manning, SC

Last edited by Huddleston; 06-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Another tire option is the Dunlop American Elite. It is designed for Harley touring bikes but doesn't say Harley on the side. I got 20,000 miles out of the rear and it had a little life left. I have 14,935 on the front and it still has nearly half the tread left. They are on a 1600 Nomad.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #12

After your seat. Do these measurements. For a ClearView shield.
Vaquero-vertical-height-1024x999.jpg
I recommend the recurve on the shield. The vent option is nice but I found it to rattle. I am 5'10" and I have the medium, some days I feel the Large 16.25 would have been better, But Most days I like the 14.75" the best. I get 2+ inches of over look. But the recurve Balances it out to a smooth ride. No Buffeting.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 07-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

I put a 9" wind screen on my 2015 Vaquero. It does a good job, but 2 more inches might control the last little wind turbulence I feel at speed. I am between 5'11" & 6'

Good luck! All the best riding. Ride Bagger groups when you can. Good people, have learned some good routes, good scenery with curvy roads are part of the experience they will show.
VBA#03454
09/03/2016 "Ride for the Red" Big Flats, NY (Red Cross)
07/2017 "ROK Vintage Motorcycle Days" Lexington, OH
07/2017 "National Rally" Lake George, NY