Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

lake superior circle tour

My wife and i are trying to plan this trip for late june. I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so mind sharing how it went?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

I did the tour two summers ago. It was a fantastic ride and I highly recommend it.

Here is the web-site I used for planning:

http://www.ridelakesuperior.com/route-start.php?id=4

I met two of the people who mapped our the route and they are avid riders.

We did the tour clock-wise and started and ended at Sault Ste Marie. The weather can be a drag, but that's part of Superior. There were many days that we looked at the weather radar and thought we would miss some rain, but the radar was deceiving. We had a lot of rain and fog on the south side. In fact, we chose not to hit Copper Harbor because we were riding in pouring rain and couldn't see much anyway. It's too bad because it's supposed to be a nice spot, but this will be a tour I do again.

Duluth was a neat town. We went to Aerostich and enjoyed being there even though it was warehouse-ish. The waterfront was fun, but the hotels were priced high.

From Marathon to the Sault was a bucket list ride day. It was sunny and warm and the views are amazing. I have been told that that particular stretch is fun to ride in both directions and the views are different and magnificent in their own way.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

how many days did you take for this ride? We are thinking around 5. Did you camp or stay in hotels?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

We are doing this in July this year. Exploring some of Northern Ontario as well. We are taking 9 nights for this trip. Of course we have to be different and go counter clockwise. Be around 3400kms (2100 miles) from our place in Belleville. Only 2 nights in the U.S. though. Our Canadian dollar is killing us. Tough to lose 25-30% off the top.
That is a great link that you posted Iamriding. Thanks for that.

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

I believe we took 6.5 days, and that includes a day of travel on each end to get to the Soo. Remember we missed a chunk that would have added at least half a day.

Some hotels, a Kamping cabin, and two nights of camping.

I hear you on the exchange rate. My trip on the Blue Ridge last year cost more than I had planned, and our dollar is far worse right now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Just returned yesterday from our trip around lake Superior. It was fantastic. Was concerned about a lot of rain we might encounter but we got lucky. The biggest amount of rain we had was on the first day within 1 hour of home. The roads were great along with the scenery. Always good to get out and explore new destinations. The wife's vstar 950 and my Nomad performed very nicely. All in it ended up being 3744 kms (2326 miles). The one morning in White River Ontario we woke up to 6 degrees (42F) and fog. That seemed a little chilly for July. If you haven't done this tour I would highly recommend it

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445