Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-10-2024, 01:00 AM   #1

Shock Absorber Pressure

Hello
What should be the pressure in the shock absorbers of Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad 2006?
Regards

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiroflores View Post
Hello
What should be the pressure in the shock absorbers of Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad 2006?
Regards
It depends on several factors such as your weight and if you are carrying a passenger. Start with 20 psi and go up or down from there. 40psi is the maximum.

Use a zero loss pump to add pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S.../dp/B000WJEORY

Old 04-22-2024, 06:01 PM   #3

��What he said. I have run mine as low as 10psi but prepare to bottom out on bumps. I'm a bigger dude (280lbs 6'3") and typically run 15psi solo and 35psi 2-up. I split the difference on solo trips where I pack my gear on the back and run around 20-25psi. Haven't had any issues there.

-JB

Old 04-24-2024, 01:02 PM   #4

This is interesting to me right now as well. Last weekend I took a girlfriend on a ride and set the rear pressure at 32. I'm 205 dressed and she's probably about 210. I set the shock damping at 2. After about 20 miles and one bottom out dip I raised it to 42. It didn't bottom out again even on a similar dip. I was wondering about it and after reading these I thought the 40 max stated was incorrect, I have read the manual about it, but it's been a while.

I searched it and this was a pretty good response thanks to AI.
"The maximum operating pressure for the Kawasaki Vulcan rear shock is 43 psi. The maximum pressure the seals can take is 71 psi. The pressure should never exceed 71 psi. or you will blow the seals. The recommended pressure for a single rider is about 22 psi, and up to 32 psi for two up. The pressure will vary depending on your weight and if you will be running with a passenger. Do not use the air fill at a gas station and don't use a pressure gauge to check them after."

A compressed air hose will fill them so quickly one can easily blow the seals, that was the maximum I was thinking.
Then the manual says to adjust the pressure with the bike jacked up so the suspension is fully unloaded at full droop. This effects the pressure by about 2lbs. according to a poster who said, "I did purchase the Progressive pump. It works nicely and is very compact. I got it through Amazon for around $45.00. I compared pressures on and off my Craftsman jack, and it was less than a two-pound difference with the pressure being lighter on the jack of course. So, if you don't have a jack, simply take an extra pound or two into consideration when on the side stand."

Don't forget to adjust the dampening on the shocks up as load and pressure is increased.
I was thinking with the big girl on with me I needed a wee bit more to level out the view in the mirrors like when I'm solo. So next time I'll try the max pressure adjusted for weighted or not when filling and set the shocks all the way firm.

Vernon