Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #1

Shock leaked oil out of sherader valve

I was adding some air to my shocks and I got oil out of the valve???
Anyone had this happen? What was the out come

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

How were you adding air to the shock? It sounds like the air bladder has ruptured and you need a new set of shocks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Others have had oil leak out as well, there is a how to somewhere, perhaps on Gadgets Fixit that explains on replacing the shock oil.You Must use a hand pump on those shocks.
I'd try to refill them before I replace them myself.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Is the shock holding any air pressure now? What did you add air with and what pressure did you pump it up to?
Only 2 ways that you could have oil in the valve IMO, the bladder is leaking as Scott said or it came from the pump. Of course the second source is unlikely.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-PSI-Rear-...d94834&vxp=mtr

http://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-GA...vglnk-c1253-20

Are these decent pumps or are there other brands you guys are using?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by barticus73; 07-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barticus73 View Post
Yes both are the type that should be used. I didn't notice either ad mention zero loss when you unscrew but I imagine they are as they are identical to my Progressive pump. The gauge on these read 0-60, that's a good range any gauge that reads higher, say 0-100 will be harder to read the exact pressure in each shock.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barticus73 View Post
Either of those pumps should do the job. However, I'd buy the Progressive model since it is a known brand.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
I bought the one from ebay some years ago and haven't had a problem with it. I've dropped it several times and knocked the gauge all to pieces and put it back together. It still works good. The Progressive is only a few dollars more.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

You guys are talking about a bladder in there? I'm not sure there is one.

I've entirely rebuilt my OEM shocks, going much further than the instructions from Gadget's site by removing the plungers and dismantling the shocks entirely. I never found any bladder.

The dismantle was accidental... I took them to a local dealer and asked them just to take the tension off the spring - showed them how. That fellow passed them to someone else who opened the wrong end of one and then couldn't get it back together properly.

I took them back home, started the job myself... and the shock fell to bits in a puddle of oil on my workbench and floor! You should have seen the look on my face ... It was a real "Oh Shit! break out in a sweat" moment, which probably led to me having to become a forum expert on the interior workings of my shocks... I had to take the other one apart to figure out why one worked and not the other, and how it all fit back together, and determined that the dealer had left a tiny roll-pin out.

But anyway... So far as I could see the oil sits in the bottom of the shock, where it's available to the plunger to be pumped through an adjustable aperture (Your 1-4 presets for rebound damping). Your air pressure affects the shock travel... the higher the pressure the less travel / the less chance the shocks bottom out when loaded up.

If there was a bladder in there - Gadgets instructions for replacing the oil wouldn't work, since the oil couldn't simply be drained from the Shrader valve?

Over-filling with air, or using a compressor to fill the shocks, would overwhelm and damage the seals in the plunger body. I was lucky when my shock fell to bits, that the seals were undamaged. When they're damaged, they won't hold air pressure, and the oil either takes a short-cut avoiding the presets, or leaks out with the air... Either way they don't work too well, and are unbalanced.

Rebuilt, with clean new 15W Belray shock oil - Perfect... Capital P. It's the first bike in the last 3 that I've not installed Progressive shocks, because I can't see how they could possibly be any better.

I'd also recommend a zero-loss Progressive pump, with a 60PSI max pressure.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 07-06-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

my shocks are plumbed together with a 0-40 psi gauge with a shout off that keeps the gauge from getting pegged every time I hit a bad bump.... so i use small compressor and turn the regulator on the compressor down to about 10 psi and bring the pressure up according to the pressure showing on the gauge on the bike..
the day before I hit some really bad bumps running down the interstate at about 70. after talking to a very knowledgeable mechanic i think that some of the oil from the shock some how bypassed a seal and got into the air lines... does anyone have a breakdown of the shocks? after adding more air with me and my wife the bike done fine and rode about 100 miles today with no issues..
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gw_shockfill.htm
#5 makes me feel better about loosing some oil out when adding air and i will be getting a no loss pump
also I will be refilling the shocks and lifting the rear tire to add air

Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kevin662 View Post
... after talking to a very knowledgeable mechanic i think that some of the oil from the shock some how bypassed a seal and got into the air lines...
There's no seal between the oil and the air. Gravity ensures the oil sits in the bottom of the shocks, and the air simply pressurizes the whole system. A little oil coming out through the valve is not unusual, especially if the bike has recently been used. The Schrader valve (there, I got the spelling right finally) slopes slightly downwards and probably collects a few splashes at the valve after a hard ride or a few big bumps.

Your small compressor might be ok, and provide the air slowly. What you need to avoid at all costs is a big hit of high-pressure air that will invariably blow the seals and cause leaks of air, oil, or both. Personally to be safe, I'd never use any kind of compressor, just a hand pump.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 07-05-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #12

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
There's no seal between the oil and the air. Gravity ensures the oil sits in the bottom of the shocks, and the air simply pressurizes the whole system. A little oil coming out through the valve is not unusual, especially if the bike has recently been used. The Schrader valve (there, I got the spelling right finally) slopes slightly downwards and probably collects a few splashes at the valve after a hard ride or a few big bumps.

Your small compressor might be ok, and provide the air slowly. What you need to avoid at all costs is a big hit of high-pressure air that will invariably blow the seals and cause leaks of air, oil, or both. Personally to be safe, I'd never use any kind of compressor, just a hand pump.
thanks for the the information... i had that really sick felling think i was going to have to buy shocks!!! not worried at all now... like i said i will go ahead and buy a hand pump... I will refill the shocks this winter with some 15 weight oil.. to busy riding right now

Old 07-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #13

I had both shocks fail on my '07 Nomad and leak their full volume of oil onto my garage floor. Not a whole lot of oil but enough to make a mess. Both were replaced by the extended warranty.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Many have replaced the factory shocks with Progressive 412s. Not cheap but a hell of a lot cheaper than OEM replacements. The Progressives are not air shocks. As others have said, I'd try to fill them and see if they hold air first.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Many have replaced the factory shocks with Progressive 412s. Not cheap but a hell of a lot cheaper than OEM replacements. The Progressives are not air shocks. As others have said, I'd try to fill them and see if they hold air first.
how do you like the 412s? i think i am fine with my oem they are holding air pressure and riding fine just scared the crap out of me when the oil came out...