Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #1

Our South Central Rally

I also posted this on the main board in the travel section.

We arrived in Eureka Springs Wednesday evening and checked into the Rider's Rest Motel, which was Rally headquarters. Since I had volunteered to lead the organized rides, Liz and I pre-rode most of the roads traveling to Eureka Springs. Thursday morning we checked out some more of them and then had a wonderful ride on hwy 43 heading west out of Harrison picking up 103 north to Green Forest.

When we returned to the Rider's Rest we found that Wanderer had arrived and we enjoyed looking at each others bikes and general conversation over lunch. Later that afternoon Old Bikers arrived with his lovely wife Bea and Jamie bringing up the tail. Before long Zoom and his wife Vicky arrived and everything just kept getting better and better. We all talked and laughed and still things just kept getting better. The more the merrier!

Friday morning we went out to the Smokehouse for breakfast. It is known for it's giant biscuit and they did not let us down. Most people don't believe us when we tell them the biscuit is about a 6" by 6" square and about 4 inches tall. How they get them done in the middle without burning them is a mystery. While eating we watched a terrible black cloud roll in and the rain commenced. We ate slow and when the rain let up we returned to the motel and waited as a second wave of heavy rain with some hail dropped. Thank goodness the Riders Rest has a bike port for the bikes to set under and we did not have to worry about the hail.

After the rain stopped, we let the roads dry for awhile. Jessie arrived and we took the planned morning ride in the afternoon. We had a light lunch at the War Eagle Mill and then toured the Glass Chapel, crossed the swinging bridge and returned to the Rider's Rest. Soon after we returned SWB and Trip arrived and the Friday evening BBQ started. Boy can Old Bikers cook! We all ate until we where totally stuffed! Being the nice people we are, we even invited some non-Nomad riders down to partake of the banquet Jim and Bea had prepared. After one of the best get together's I have ever attended it was off to bed with hopes for dry roads and fair weather.

Saturday morning we returned to the Smokehouse so those that did not get a chance to partake of the giant biscuit could. Then it was off for the Saturday ride with me leading and Trip riding tailgunner. The weather cooperated and although a little cool it was a great ride down hwy 21 and then across 16. We arrived at hwy 7 early and no one was really ready for lunch. So I added a unscheduled loop and went south to hwy 123. We turned on 123 east to ride down the switchbacks of MT. Judea, then back across on hwy 374 to the Cliff House for lunch.

Taking hwy 7 north we bypassed Harrison using hwy's 397 and 392. We arrived back in Eureka Springs at our projected time between 3:30 and 4:00 o'clock to find we had reservations at the Roadhouse for dinner at 5:30. After all, we all know that biker's like to eat! There we had another fine meal and returned to the motel for an evening of stories, jokes, BS and some marvelous time with our new friends. The evening ended on kind of a sad note as we all knew we where leaving early the next morning.

Sunday everyone packed early and headed our separate ways. Liz and I had breakfast with SWB and Trip before we headed east as they headed west. Watching a big black cloud gave us incentive to push hard as we did not want to ride in anymore rain but we could not quite out run it but only hit some mild sprinkles in three different places.

Although a smaller rally it was one of the most enjoyable I have ever attended. Even with the rain, just getting to meet everyone made everything worth while. I hope that everyone enjoyed it as much as Liz and I did.

Liz will make a photo bucket of our pictures and get it posted as soon she has time.

Everyone take care!

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Our South Central Rally

I really wish i could have went. i came home Friday to no power in the house. My neighbor lost a tree to stright line winds. The tree took out a power pole and transformer. I am still with out power at the house. I was going to try to come in on Saturday, but there was no much clean up to do from the storm. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I watched Trip's video and it made me miss attending even more. Hopefully next year.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Our South Central Rally

Sounds like a great time was had by all.
VBA #146

Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Our South Central Rally

Hey Jim and Liz, just wanted y'all to know that I think y'all did a great job of coordinating and leading the rides at the rally and hope you will do the same next year. Maybe in late June the weather will cooperate a little better. By then I should have enough room for another giant biscuit. Jamie

Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #5

Our South Central Rally

Sounds like you had a good time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads