Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Almost FREE "cool" air mod

I haven't seen anyone mention this mod so thought I would share. I opened up the stock left side air cleaner cover to get outside air into the intake. I don't have any dyno numbers to substantiate any improvements, but it's got to help some.

Did it for about $15, and half of that was a can of Graphite colored paint and a roll of pinstripe tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover1.jpg (93.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg cover2.jpg (95.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg cover3.jpg (97.1 KB, 210 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
There is a filter behind that right?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
There is a filter behind that right?
Yes. The one photo was taken before the filter was installed.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #4

How does she run now based on your seat-of-the-pants dyno?
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero convert View Post
How does she run now based on your seat-of-the-pants dyno?
It seems to pull a little stronger, but hard to say definitively. My before and after rides were six months apart due to living on the frozen tundra.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Advanced Member

what did you use for the screen?
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #7

This has been done before by Ray in Florida who has done a lot of experimenting with air flow and dyno tests.He has shown an actual slight power loss with his tests doing this with stock air box.But I know he relates a lot of peak numbers in his testing with wide open throttle runs.It may well be a bit more responsive and more torque at lower rpm,but he has proven a loss at higher rpm.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vationdave View Post
what did you use for the screen?
Picked up a piece of perforated steel at the local steel supply house.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
This has been done before by Ray in Florida who has done a lot of experimenting with air flow and dyno tests.He has shown an actual slight power loss with his tests doing this with stock air box.But I know he relates a lot of peak numbers in his testing with wide open throttle runs.It may well be a bit more responsive and more torque at lower rpm,but he has proven a loss at higher rpm.
That could very well be true, but since i don't ride at WOT all that often, low end torque is more suited for my riding. I was also hoping there might be slightly lower operating temps due to the somewhat cooler air.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

That "cool air" is getting sucked through a tube that passes between the cylinders on its way to the intake on the right side. I think that probably negates any perceived cooling benefit.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #11

Not real sure what Ma Kaw was thinking when she designed that air tube between the cylinders. More power and cool air have been known to go together since the invention of the internal combustion engine.

If you really want some more low end torque, I think chuckster makes a true right side intake for the 1700's .

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #12

I wonder if any one has tried doing a similar mod to the right side cover.
You would have to block of several holes. I suppose if you have the talent to make that work, You could fabricate you're own intake though.
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
That "cool air" is getting sucked through a tube that passes between the cylinders on its way to the intake on the right side. I think that probably negates any perceived cooling benefit.
True. But before the mod it's being pulled from between the cylinders, then routed back through again, to the right side. Only making one pass through there should have SOME impact on the air temp.

Not ideal, but what do you expect for a couple hours time and practically no money.
RACNRAY throttle mod

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlweeds View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention this mod so thought I would share. I opened up the stock left side air cleaner cover to get outside air into the intake. I don't have any dyno numbers to substantiate any improvements, but it's got to help some.

Did it for about $15, and half of that was a can of Graphite colored paint and a roll of pinstripe tape.
Substantially opening up the left side cover to increase airflow will only offer very small improvements but ONLY at very low speed/small throttle openings. At larger throttle openings and higher rpm the air "chokes" as it tries to flow thru the cross tube. When I did my mod to the left cover waaay back in 2011 the dyno results showed this to me, and the diameter of the hole I made was substantially smaller than what you did. @ 2200 rpm there was a 1.4hp/3 pnd loss in torque. @ 2,750rpm a loss of 1hp and 1.7 pnd . @ 4000rpm a loss of 1.5 hp and 2 pnd. The higher rpm showed how the airflow was severely compromised as the loss @5,500rpm there was a 5.5hp and 5.3 pnd loss. The biggest loss in power was at the higher rpm. Stock 1700's make peak power at about 5,500rpm, the opened up left cover had peak power occurring at a lowly 4800rpm. This would not be so bad if there was a HUGE gain in the low to midrange, but there was not, just losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Not real sure what Ma Kaw was thinking when she designed that air tube between the cylinders. More power and cool air have been known to go together since the invention of the internal combustion engine.

If you really want some more low end torque, I think chuckster makes a true right side intake for the 1700's .
The intake system on the 1700's was designed with 2 main goals. First is noise suppression emanating from the intake. This noise has to be suppressed to help the 1700's meet our noise limiting regulations as decibel meters do not differentiate between noise from the exhaust, engine or intake systems. Just ask any of us who have installed BAKits on our 1700's and the intake noise that occurs as a result, loud enuff some have reverted back to stock.

Secondly the stock intake is a "tuned" system. Kawi was very careful in designing the intake to provide proper resonance and airflow characteristics for a smooth power band and engine running characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
I wonder if any one has tried doing a similar mod to the right side cover.
You would have to block of several holes. I suppose if you have the talent to make that work, You could fabricate you're own intake though.
Modifying/opening up the right side would be a no-no as this would allow air into the intake AFTER the air filter, not a good thing!

I fabricated my own design of BAK waaaay back in 2011 that incorporates the entire intake system, tho HIGHLY modified. This intake has allowed my skoot o make about 4 more hp and 6-8 pnds more torque than any other 1700 with the Big 3 that has been on my dyno, and in easy ridin I have seen 47-50 mpg, but that drops at the higher speeds and rpm.

RACNRAY

Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlweeds View Post
True. But before the mod it's being pulled from between the cylinders, then routed back through again, to the right side. Only making one pass through there should have SOME impact on the air temp.

Not ideal, but what do you expect for a couple hours time and practically no money.
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with your mod. It's just mostly a cosmetic change and won't result in much performance change. If you really want a performance improvement, the changes would need to be to the right side, as the crossover tube from left to right is a bottleneck that limits the potential amount of air getting to the intake. However, as others have pointed out, that has its own drawbacks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17