Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #1

Be careful out there

My son also rides. He owns a Yamaha R6. A buddy of his died yesterday street racing on a sport bike.
I just happened to be going by the site when the emergency crews arrived.

“Ottawa Citizen
Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2007
A 25-year-old man died after his motorcycle crashed into the back of a stopped car at Merivale Road and Enterprise Avenue Wednesday evening.

Witnesses said two men were driving in what they considered a dangerous fashion, racing down Enterprise shortly after 5 p.m., as they approached traffic lights.

"We just heard two bikes go ripping by and then there was just a boom," said Paul Howard who left work when he heard the crash. He said the driver smashed through the back window and landed inside the car.

They (the cars) were stopped there, ready to turn left, and he pulled into the back of the black car," added Dan”

As a parent you feel sorry for the boy and his family, who arrived later. Sport bikes are not like our cruisers they have only one function and it is not scenic touring. I feel badly for Deeb who died on impact as a result foolish act. Also a little angry at the potential consequences to innocent bystanders. The lady driving the car had just dropped off her two children who would have been in car seats in the back.

The lesson for my son I hope is to ride responsibly and keep the racing to the track. Lesson two, don't look at what you hope to avoid because on a bike you will hit it.

You only live once. I will stick to the cruisers and keep my eyes wide open.

Ride safe out there.......

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #2

Be careful out there

WOW. Unfortunately, I've seen alot of sport bikes acting carelessly right down our busiest road. Heavy traffic most of the time. We had a young man crash into the side of a car leaving a parking lot doing the same type of thing. He died on impact as well. I agree, it's dangerous enough watching for all the cagers without riding foolishly on busy roads.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #3

Be careful out there

I admit I use to look at those sport bike riders doing crazy things and think "how stupid" or other thoughts along those lines.
Then I realized that I am just as guilty by not taking advanced rider courses ($50) and getting out in a parking lot and practicing my rider skills.
I have been riding for more than 15 years but always learn from a MSF class.
The general rule of thumb among my buddies is that if you measure out a 24ft. circle (cone it off so you can't cheat) and you cannot complete a circle to the left and the right you need practice and/or instruction.
After an absence of several years I have gotten back to practicing and am signed up for a class in Sept. This realization came after my sister (whom I consider to be a very good rider) crashed on a curve. She was OK But is was a welcome wake up call.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Be careful out there

Words to live by OVG. This list of my departed MC friends is a heart wrenching one. Sons don't realize that they leave behind grieving parents for the rest of their lives. As a very irresponsible young man myself, I'm surprised I didn't get killed lots of times.

One memorable crash I as doing about 100 mph and threw it away coming down the mountains where I live. Full leather and full helmet kept injuries to sore muscles. It wasn't until later that I started having nightmares about what if a huge truck was coming the other way? The turn I lost in on was a right turn.

I retired from street racing after many sleepless nights thinking over what could have happened.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Be careful out there

It's truly unfortunate when we lose a little brother or sister (what I call anyone on a sport bike) because they are acting foolishly, even if they were doing something they enjoyed. Oldvalleyguy, you hit on something very important though: the innocent bystander. In this case, there could have been more victims.
As part of the biking community we need to realize that we are not the only ones who can get hurt in an accident. In a wreck, we become a missile, some of us larger than others, and we can do some major damage to other people.

Ride safe and smart out there friends.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Be careful out there

Will do...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Be careful out there

ovg I hate to hear about your son's friend this is always so sad, just this morning I got a call saying my daughter had flip her car, before anything else could be said the worst race through my mind, but she had and angle riding with her and is fine and no one else involed.we all need to talk until we are blue in the face to these youg riders and drivers about always paying attention to whats around them or could be. pegs down for the young man and his family

Old 08-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #8

Be careful out there

Once last summer I was on a day ride with 12 other ladies. We were crossing over a dam ....two lanes one each way. All of a sudden a sport bike came around passing all 12 of us on the dam while doing a wheelie. Of course he was showing out. It made me so mad......what if he lost control and then plowed into us and made some of all of us wreck with him. How stupid can you be. ::)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Be careful out there

Pretty damn stupid. And I was told by a sport bike shop owner that it's the 40 plus (me) riding cruisers who are getting hurt more often that sport bike riders.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD