Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Adding a Fairing to the 1600

I'm picking up a 1600 Nomad this week ( Merry X-mas to me ! )
and was thinking of adding a fairing to the bike with stereo

I did this same mod on my Honda VTX - Retro a while back, and it went pretty simple, took a few hours to bolt it on

I see allot of pics on here with the fairing on the front of the bike.

My questions are:

Is their one better or easyer to bolt on then another

Does the gap around the headlight work, with the fairing

Also does it clunker, or more around, or are they pretty stable once bolted on

Lastley, whats the cost ending up around?

Reason I ask, when I did my VTX, I went with a $1K fairing, had to add the stereo, paint it, etc, and ended up spending close to $1,700.00 by the time I was done.

My friend added a Harley fairing at the same time on his VTX, and he was into it for about $600.00 with the same results, just more time spent making the brackets to fit the forks etc. I think about 20 hours vs a few for putting mine on

Thanks for your help, and I also plan on installing lowers as well

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

fltekdiver, there are a number of threads on here addressing the issues you bring up but I'll start this off! I installed a Reckless fairing ( www.recklessfairing.com) this past spring. I really like the fit and finish. You can order with or without a radio and speakers. I only had two options on color: primed, ready to paint or black. I bought my radio and speakers separately and had the fairing painted 2 tone with pin striping. All said and done about $800.00. People have varying opinions as to why they bought the fairing they did, some wanted what is considered top 'o the line, for others cost was a consideration. Good opinions all, you just have to wade through it and make your decision. Alex at Reckless offers Kawi members a discount. You might find the same fairing on EBay. I'm happy with the way the bike handles, no buffeting or steering problems have resulted. Easy to install and the headlight opening is minimal and causes no wind noise. WELCOME, GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY THE NEW RIDE!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3

Have a 1600 myself and have about decided to go with Reckless I live in Maryville Tn where they are built have been there to see them and the quailty looks good you can catch one on ebay primered for about 250 - 300 plus shipping and call them and either get it with the holes cut or not cut buy you a marine radio from wally world for about 125 and some marine speakers and a interal antenna get it painted and have about 800 in it. the brackets come with it and bolt right to the Nomad bracketts

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 12-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

http://www.gadgetjq.com/fairings.htm

I put a lot of research into the fairing when I boght mine. I went with a Wide Open.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

A Premeux fairing comes ready to use right out of the box, already painted to match. It takes about twenty minutes to install. You can also order them with a stereo installed as well, just connect the power wires and your ready to go. They cost more up front but a lot of the work is already done for you.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
They all mount pretty much the same way - they mount to the OEM windshield mounts. As far as better, how much do you want to pay?

Quote:
Does the gap around the headlight work, with the fairing
Well, it's not a factory fairing, so the headlight isn't built into the fairing. There's a gap around the headlight.

Quote:
Also does it clunker, or more around, or are they pretty stable once bolted on
Mine doesn't. It's pretty solid, with no rattles or "clunkers".

Quote:
Lastley, whats the cost ending up around?
If you buy a Reckless fairing (I did), they offer a discount to members of this forum. I think I paid $365 for mine (w/shipping). I opted for one with no sound system, but with the stereo and speaker openings cut. My sound system ran about $250 for a quality JVC stereo and Rockford Fosgate speakers. Paintjob cost me $200 at a local shop, I added a better aftermarket windshield and chrome trim, wiring, splash cover, HD tourpak antenna kit. Total cost, around $1000 for my set up.

You can spend more, but you aren't going to spend much less unless you buy something used off eBay.

You need to know what you're buying, though. Do your research. The Reckless, Tsukayu and Premeux are fiberglass, the Wide Open is ABS plastic. Also the Wide Open is a one piece unit and customizing or wiring can be difficult, where the others are two piece.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #7

You can check out the Reckless here:
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=14795

Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
They all mount pretty much the same way - they mount to the OEM windshield mounts. As far as better, how much do you want to pay?

Well, it's not a factory fairing, so the headlight isn't built into the fairing. There's a gap around the headlight.

[quote:lq0nf5eb]Lastley, whats the cost ending up around?
If you buy a Reckless fairing (I did), they offer a discount to members of this forum. I think I paid $365 for mine (w/shipping). I opted for one with no sound system, but with the stereo and speaker openings cut. My sound system ran about $250 for a quality JVC stereo and Rockford Fosgate speakers. Paintjob cost me $200 at a local shop, I added a better aftermarket windshield and chrome trim, wiring, splash cover, HD tourpak antenna kit. Total cost, around $1000 for my set up.

You can spend more, but you aren't going to spend much less unless you buy something used off eBay.

You need to know what you're buying, though. Do your research. The Reckless, Tsukayu and Premeux are fiberglass, the Wide Open is ABS plastic. Also the Wide Open is a one piece unit and customizing or wiring can be difficult, where the others are two piece.[/quote:lq0nf5eb]

Scott's right about the wiring on the W/O. It's difficult to wire the fairing from the one side through the radio and speaker holes. I have about $1K in it also.

I wanted to buy the Reckless too and would have because of the price and the two piece assembly (outer and inner). You can easily wire it with the outer shell off.

But my risers would have hit and I need those so I went with the W/O.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #9

As for picking between fiberglass and ABS materials, here's a link to a pretty detailed explanation of the two materials in comparison. I've worked with both in a manufacturing environment (still do) and they're both good materials, depending on the application.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/756806.html

Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #10

Thanks guys for your help. Sounds like the same road I went down with my VTX.
My two biggest concerns were how it fits around the head light, as my VTX was perfect around the light bucket, no gaps etc
Nice thing here, it seems it bolts to the quick dis connect windsheild brackets, as the VTX I had to make brackets

Seems pretty straight foward, the first thing I'll be doing is adding a fairing and lowers to get the Bagger look which I love so much

Merry Christmas to all ! Ho Ho Ho !

Old 12-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

You need to know what you're buying, though. Do your research. The Reckless, Tsukayu and Premeux are fiberglass, the Wide Open is ABS plastic. Also the Wide Open is a one piece unit and customizing or wiring can be difficult, where the others are two piece.
Scott's right about the wiring on the W/O. It's difficult to wire the fairing from the one side through the radio and speaker holes. I have about $1K in it also.

I wanted to buy the Reckless too and would have because of the price and the two piece assembly (outer and inner). You can easily wire it with the outer shell off.

But my risers would have hit and I need those so I went with the W/O.
Tom, I'll be adding risers as well. Did you say the reckless has an issue with hitting if you have risers on the bike?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #12

I started reading on a few forums about that happening. So I spoke to the guy at Reckless and he told me they would not fit with the Phat IIs that I have. Some others talked about notching the fairing but I didn't want to do that.

I also purchased Freedom Wings from W/O and they are great in combination with the extended clear lowers that I made to stop buffeting altogether.

The hard lowers I really like! I got them at the same time so the painting would be lot priced.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #13

Thanks for the quick reply, your bike and the others look great !

Old 12-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #14

Another Reckless owner :).. Alex at Reckless is pretty good to deal with,The Fairing as mentioned is IMO very well made with no rattles,,Also I think the Nomad has less getting moved around in high winds or when being passed by a semi........ I purchased mine with no holes cut
I may add a radio if I decide to keep the Nomad this year

Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #15

I'm thinking of going with the reckless myself, I seen them on Ebay starting at $250.00 without stereo. I can add that myself.

Does the reckless fairings split like the Harley Batwings to get at the wiring ?

Also, Please post pics of your bikes here:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...start=0#319809