Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #1

braking in the rain

Got my first experience riding in a gully washer today. No problem with slick roads, a little problem keeping face shield clean enough to see well.

The real problem was the first stop sign I came to. I pulled the front brake like usual but hardly any stopping power when first applied. Thank Pete the rear brake was working well or I would have been in the middle of the intersection before I got fully stopped.

The front brake worked fine after a couple of seconds but you can travel a long way in a couple of seconds!

I've had car brakes do this when running through heavy water but never thought about it on the bike.

Is this typical or do I need to see about getting different brake pads on the front? Or do I just need to start braking earlier when running in the wet so the water gets shed from the disk and the pads?

Login or Register to Remove Ads