Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

oil leak

Hello everybody. I ride a little today and I realized that I had an oil leak, on rear cylinder. I just had time to see where it was, before night (my garage is not lit). Not time to take a photo but I found a photo on the internet where it leaks: in the red circle. I found nothing on the broken parts that there is in this hole. I hope nothing serious, I think, because I have to ride this weekend. I'll see that tomorrow.
I think a drilling machining ?
Have you ever encountered this problem ?
Thank you for your answers
good night
Serge
NB: it seems to me to have seen about this by reading old post but impossible to find it for the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylindre AR fuite huile.jpg (64.7 KB, 62 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by sg67; 12-02-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #2

I can't offer in advice but hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in soon.
Good luck getting it fixed.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 12-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Well, you shouldn't have a leak there. Is it a little? Is it a lot? Are you sure its oil????? If its dripping on the floor, might be you clutch pushrod seal.
Might just be the head gasket weeping or top cover, if its just slightly oily.
The hole would either go into the timing chain area, maybe into the water jacket....
If its just a little, clean it with some carb cleaner several times, and the put a little silicone sealer on it.
Before you do anything, thats a very suspecious area, start your engine, and put your hand right there where the leak is to see if its a spray coming from a oil line....or a weeping from your adjuster housing or head/cover gasket.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg67 View Post
Hello everybody. I ride a little today and I realized that I had an oil leak, on rear cylinder. I just had time to see where it was, before night (my garage is not lit). Not time to take a photo but I found a photo on the internet where it leaks: in the red circle. I found nothing on the broken parts that there is in this hole. I hope nothing serious, I think, because I have to ride this weekend. I'll see that tomorrow.
I think a drilling machining ?
Have you ever encountered this problem ?
Thank you for your answers
good night
Serge
NB: it seems to me to have seen about this by reading old post but impossible to find it for the moment
I can't tell from the picture, but on your engine is there a plug in the hole.

The whole casting looks like there could be an oil galley drilled in it behind the circle and slightly to the right, going up and down. Like it could be a passage to bring the oil from down below to the top end.

Some times in the manufacturing process the castings will be cross drilled to get the oil where it needs to be. The drilled hole is plugged in different ways, ...A pipe plug, a small bearing, or an expansion plug.

Take your skoots serial number info and look at a parts picture, it can give you a lot of info.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

OK, went out in the shop, looked....either a mgf'ing hole or a accessory hole. Looks like it goes into top the waterjacket.
I'd say if its got oil around it, probably oil from adjuster, possibly a drip by the headgasket, maybe top cover.
Its behind your exhaust pipe, behind your chain adjuster on rear barrel, right below the head.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I seem to remember someone else having this issue a while back.

I looked on Ron Ayers microfiche and it does not show a hole there on the barrels (jugs).

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...inder-piston-s

What year is your bike ?
I am in agreement with others in that this is a tooling hole used in the manufacturing process.
Once you ascertain that the oil is definitely coming from that hole my thoughts would be to plug the hole somehow.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I seem to remember someone else having this issue a while back.

I looked on Ron Ayers microfiche and it does not show a hole there on the barrels (jugs).

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...inder-piston-s

What year is your bike ?
I am in agreement with others in that this is a tooling hole used in the manufacturing process.
Once you ascertain that the oil is definitely coming from that hole my thoughts would be to plug the hole somehow.
Yes for all that you say.
I wiped and then I started the bike again, and I looked carefully: the oil flows well from there. It started a while ago already because I had noticed a little oil but by saying "not serious", I will see this later thinking of a joint. Now it sinks a drop of oil every 2 - 3 seconds. it's a lot.
On microfiche, nothing is reported. I saw the screw 92002, but I think it's something else.
My motorcycle is a Nomad 1600 of 2005.
The visualization of the hole is as in the picture. And you, is it the same?
thank you. Merci
serge

Old 12-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I no longer have my 2005 Nomad, sorry.
If the hole does not have a thread I would consider putting a thread in it and then sealing the hole with non removable Loctite and a set screw. I have never used JB weld and I am not sure if it would work if you cannot stop the oil while the JB weld sets up. Someone else might answer that question.

A long shot might be a steel dowel and some non removable Loctite (green) if you cannot get in that area to tap a thread.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

I believe that is the weep hole from the spark plug tube . it usely means the o rings on the tubes have went bad or it is time for cam chain extenders and the chains are cutting the tubes .I believe you can unscrew the tubes and check for a mark from the chain .search the forum for the spark plug tubes and you will find a lot about it .

Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #10

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
I believe that is the weep hole from the spark plug tube . it usely means the o rings on the tubes have went bad or it is time for cam chain extenders and the chains are cutting the tubes .I believe you can unscrew the tubes and check for a mark from the chain .search the forum for the spark plug tubes and you will find a lot about it .
Yes maybe you are right. :)
1 - cam chain tensioner extensors: I did it a few months ago, and I had only disassembled the front spark plus tube.

2 - As I always feel a noise on the back, a doubt on the tensioner, today before I left I removed the one from the rear to see if it was marked ( the front was). It was not marked. I went up and left. So perhaps by going up the well, the joint has deteriorated further. If this hole opens well into the spark plug tube, but it is plausible indeed.

I look about that tomorow( I'm in work now) ans tell you
Thank you vert much
Have a Nice evening
Serge

Last edited by sg67; 12-02-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

or maybe the o ring cut or rolled when You put it back .

Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #12

oil leak on rear cylinder by spark plug tube

Hello

You are right "VulcanScott" !
I understood what this hole was for.
Look at the pictures.
1: the O ring on spark plug tube well was ok but it is worn because it is flattened
2: I also think there was a bit of dirt in it, not allowing the O ringl to make a good seal.
3: there is a hole in the spark plug tube well at the bottom: I put a piece of wire inside it and then I pushed another piece of wire to the back of the cylinder. The wire side spark plug has moved . Thus, in fact, this hole serves to evacuate the water from the spark plug well towards the rear of the cylinder. As the O ring was worn, oil rose up to the spark plug well and drained to the rear of the cylinder.
4: for now, I made a fortune repair: I took a little fiberglass with grease, I put it in the bottom of the throat and put the O ring over.
I'll see tomorrow how it is, but I think it should go meanwhile to change the O ring.
Thank again
Have a nice week-end
Serge

Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #13

the good title is now : oil leak on rear cylinder by spark plug tube
....I don't know how to change, the title of this thread ��
Serge

Last edited by sg67; 12-03-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

Thumbs Up !!!! I bet You can take the o ring to Auto parts and let them measure it and match it .

Old 12-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #15

Hello
I rode this weekend 160 miles and the leak was mastered. Just a few drops without consequences. I will have to change the O-ring nevertheless.
Have nice afternoon
Serge