Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

New rotors and brake pads

Just changed out my front and rear rotors and brake pads from an Australian company called MetalGear.com.au. They have an Ebay store with all free shipping - not sure on over sea's delivery costs.
Last weekend went for the 1st ride with them...

A little noisy when rotating the wheel by hand on the jack but no noise at speed.
A few hard braking tests felt good after a decent warm up - initially not much bite as expected.
Cost through the home site would of set me back around $750AUS. But through Ebay was roughly $30 cheaper. The kicker was...because I had spent over a certain amount, good'ol Ebay pitched in $80 towards the bill !!!...score (OEM would of set me back over $1200)
They feel like a solid set of rotors and pads but time will tell so will resurrect this thread some time down the track with more info.
Pete.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #2

Wow, that is a lot of coin! I just changed the front rotors and pads on mine, well, ended up changing one rotor and both front pads. Went with OEM pads, just because the originals lasted over 65000 miles with no issues, and I found a set of used rotors on Ebay from a 7500 mile donor bike. The only reason I wanted to change the rotors was due to the fact that they were "phonographed" and I felt that new pads would respond better to a more consistent surface. The problem was that the one rotor I bought was bent so far out that I couldn't use it. A third of the rotor was .060 off, so pulsation was horrible. I put the original one on that side and it was perfect as far as lever feel and stopping. No noise and seems fine. I did check the thickness, and it is fine as well. Total cost was right around $150, and I thought that was high, but I doubt I will need to replace them again, as I will most likely look for a replacement bike before these wear out.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 AM   #3

us Aussies are always amazed at the prices you guys pay for parts
our access to parts from USA are killed by freight.
not so many avenues to get cheap stuff here
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
... A third of the rotor was .060 off, so pulsation was horrible. I put the original one on that side and it was perfect as far as lever feel and stopping. No noise and seems fine. I did check the thickness, and it is fine as well. Total cost was right around $150, and I thought that was high, but I doubt I will need to replace them again, as I will most likely look for a replacement bike before these wear out.
Nice find and smart thinking on replacing the bike before they wear out again...shame about the one 0.06 off thou.
Cheers

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
us Aussies are always amazed at the prices you guys pay for parts
our access to parts from USA are killed by freight.
not so many avenues to get cheap stuff here
Dead on

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #6

It probably wouldn't hurt to change the rubber brake hoses as well, they get soft over time, and swell rather than put all the pressure on the pads when applying the brakes.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-03-2017, 04:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
It probably wouldn't hurt to change the rubber brake hoses as well, they get soft over time, and swell rather than put all the pressure on the pads when applying the brakes.
Changed over to braided lines a few years ago including the clutch.
Better feel and look