Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Voyager radio ugrade?

Has anyone changed out the radio in a 2010 Voyager? I would be interested if someone has found one that fits right into the section where the current one is. Sometimes when out to far for clear reception it would be nice to be able to play CDs or put in a SD card with music. thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Going into another directions what about a phone or mp3 player plugged into the aux port? That is the way I went. You just need the adaptor in the left glove box, you could stuff the mp3 player in there with it and tap in some power to keep it running.

I went with my phone on my handlebars.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Yes, some have mounted an aftermarket radio. I make a faceplate adapter for that. You will, however, need to purchase and install a steering wheel interface if you want to keep your handlebar controls (and who doesn't, lol).

If you are running an amp and speakers (sorry this sounds like I'm plugging my stuff but I do make 6.5" speaker adapters as well) you could leave the factory harness alone except for the steering wheel interface - you'll need to tap the factory harness for that.

PAC SWI-CP5 is one of the adapters I know that has been used. Also, the SW-CP5 and someone used a different model but I can't remember which one but it was also made by PAC.

Those who have put in aftermarket stereos say it's the way to go. I believe I will be joining their ranks, lol!!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Advanced Member

PAC SWI-RC is the the other (that was the first one I found)

CP5 is programmable but I have learnt you won't get more button presses- you will only get to choose which button does the press which is still a good thing. With my Sony deck I can have a total of 11 functions from the buttons but I don't think I will program the phone. Just finishing the install today!

As for deck any DIN deck will fit and I had a plastic shop cut out a plate for me from 1/4" Lexan including the cutout for deck. I brought in the DIN cage and pulled the front plate off the factory deck to use as template. When installing I couldn't use the DIN cage and took a piece of bicycle inner tube to take up the space around the deck. If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten them to cut out the outside of the plate with the rubber on and the inside of the plate so the deck would fit without the DIN cage.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #5

The single-DIN faceplate adapter I make utilized the Kaw factory rubber gasket around the outside. Simply move it from the factory radio to the adapter plate.

It also has a pocket on the back which if drilled through will allow the use of a single USB port. What that port is for is up to the end user. You can purcahsed a power-point and use the USB to charge/run your phone, GPS, whatever. Alternatively, some head units have a USB input but on the backside of the head unit. You could utilize this faceplate as a mounting point and plug into the back of the radio with an extension cable - utilizing it now as a USB input for an MP3 player or whatever.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

I put a sony blue tooth in mine, marine radio, with the PAC SWI-RC, works fine, you lose the CB but never intend to use that anyway.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

I'm new to the interface idea, are they pretty easy to wire/program?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
I'm new to the interface idea, are they pretty easy to wire/program?
Very easy, just follow the wire colour code in the manual and make the necessary splices, you will lose the CB and also the Kawasaki helmet speaker ability but with bluetooth, you won't need them and I never use CB, easy to program as well, just follow the instructions for your particular radio, you can retain the volume up/down, mode switching i.e. usb, fm, bluetooth, etc. Mute and station or song change up and down, you can program 6 function that retain the use of the left handlebar radio controls. There is also another PAC model that will allow another 3 to be programmed I think and that one can be programmed through your phone, haven't looked at that one as I am happy with the one I have.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 06-08-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Very easy, just follow the wire colour code in the manual and make the necessary splices, you will lose the CB and also the Kawasaki helmet speaker ability but with bluetooth, you won't need them and I never use CB, easy to program as well, just follow the instructions for your particular radio, you can retain the volume up/down, mode switching i.e. usb, fm, bluetooth, etc. Mute and station or song change up and down, you can program 6 function that retain the use of the left handlebar radio controls. There is also another PAC model that will allow another 3 to be programmed I think and that one can be programmed through your phone, haven't looked at that one as I am happy with the one I have.
Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna make my audio system a winter project so I won't feel rushed. Thanks again