Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

A real motorcycle?

A friend has not been on a bike in a number of years and s looking to ride again. He asked if he could take mine around the school parking lot since he has to pass a riding test, I agreed. He did so well I offered to let him take it down the road a ways back to his convenience store and I followed in his truck, a first time offer on my part. When we reached the store a fella, I don't know, told him he should buy a "real motorcycle", and since he saw my friend hand me the bike keys I figure it was obviously my bike. I did not figure he was sharp enough to realize he just insulted my scooter so I did not get upset. So I stated that he could buy a "real motorcycle" or a good one. The fella said he was talking about a "Harley", one octave drop in his voice. I told him I was too. He called me "one of those smart a..es" I grinned real big and strolled into the store. Some times they are such easy targets that I ALMOST feel bad poking at them. Bless their little hearts.
Thanks for your time

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

When I came home Iraq I wanted to get an Electra-glide, since having been a police motor officer before, figured I could get a good cop price on one. Wrong! Talk about inflated egotistical prices! Looked at the '06 Vulcan.... Twenty minutes later,without even taking a test ride,I bought it... $11,690.... Really good price. I simply love this bike! Just waiting to get the funds situated to start getting a fairing, sound system and more. This forum is a great asset!!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #3

You paid 11,690 for a 7 year old bike?

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

Granted, I got an unusual deal, but I paid $5,500 for my 07 Nomad a few months ago. Not like me to actually see a good deal and be able to take advantage of it...but I got lucky this time! Oh, it had less than 1,500 miles on it when I bought it!
VBA #02496

Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

This is a 3-year old thread... Someone is digging deep for these things.

Not sure of the price paid for the '06... If it was $11k paid recently (2013)... I am fairly sure that was not a good deal for a 7-year-old bike -- no matter the mileage.

There must be more to the story...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
This is a 3-year old thread... Someone is digging deep for these things.

Not sure of the price paid for the '06... If it was $11k paid recently (2013)... I am fairly sure that was not a good deal for a 7-year-old bike -- no matter the mileage.

There must be more to the story...
When I first joined the VBA I read tons of old posts because there is so much info on our bikes here. I really learned just about everything I know about my Nomad. I think that's what's happening w some of these reborn old threads. Newer members are reading all the old good stuff and just responding as they read. They're just another member that realizes the wealth of knowledge here. It sounds to me that the bike above was bought new when he came home from Iraq.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
When I first joined the VBA I read tons of old posts because there is so much info on our bikes here. I really learned just about everything I know about my Nomad. I think that's what's happening w some of these reborn old threads. Newer members are reading all the old good stuff and just responding as they read. They're just another member that realizes the wealth of knowledge here. It sounds to me that the bike above was bought new when he came home from Iraq.
I am assuming the bike was bought back then also.

I just wonder how many threads you have to go through to get to a good one though!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Advanced Member

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I am assuming the bike was bought back then also.

I just wonder how many threads you have to go through to get to a good one though!
I was sure all of the threads on this site were good....:)

Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

So this year at Thanksgiving my soon to be brother in law was talking about how he and his "club" do a lot of miles. How he loves to ride his Harley... funny thing is he also had to talk about how he and three other members of his "club" left town at 4 a.m. one Friday and returned at 8pm that Sunday doing just over 1800 miles. I was really impressed with the miles they put on.... right up until he started to talk about how his Toyota Truck got crappy mileage hauling 4 Harley's in the trailer!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

I tease my brother about his Harley all the time. It's just good fun and as long as we're riding that's all that counts. It doesn't matter what the bike is as long as it runs and gets you there.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJL View Post
So this year at Thanksgiving my soon to be brother in law was talking about how he and his "club" do a lot of miles. How he loves to ride his Harley... funny thing is he also had to talk about how he and three other members of his "club" left town at 4 a.m. one Friday and returned at 8pm that Sunday doing just over 1800 miles. I was really impressed with the miles they put on.... right up until he started to talk about how his Toyota Truck got crappy mileage hauling 4 Harley's in the trailer!

Ya I know someone like that, as many miles on the trailer as his bike. My Nomad likes being on the road much better than a trailer

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

I wish riders would just be riders....you know, Harleys are good bikes and have had a lot of original ideas in there bike history. I love all bikes in general. I think harley riders by average have all treated me good and always ask me about my voyager and the new things on the kawasaki bikes. The idiots are the ones who dont even ride or for that much have a bike that always have a smart krack about metrics. Just keep on brothers and laugh it away........

Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

real motorcycle

I have a 2011 Kawasaki Voyager.I own it because it is the best bike for the money .I could have a Harley but where I live it would cost me about 7000.00 at least for the same accessories mine has.10000 kms and has had oil change only.No problems .48 mpg ,and comfortable.You will always get the comments about metrics,but if you are happy with what you own that is all that counts.Read the article in the last cruiser magazine where the guy says he went to his friends motorcycle shop and there were 5 Harleys that were takin in trade.That never used to be.As he put it the bloom is slowly coming off Harleys rose.Nothing wrong with Harleys ,but you are paying for the name.Just ignore the guy!!!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #14

Us poor folks gotta ride something...
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #15

Had a real biker tell me last fall when I stopped at a gas station on the way to work to get a real bike.... when I walk out of gas station his wont start I asked him if that was part of owning a real bike the real problems.... yes it was an hd. then have been building bikes for a hundred years and still have figured out how to engineer a starter that can acutally turn the dam motor over lol .