Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #1

Child Motorcycle Passengers

Does anybody ride with children on their motorcycle? And...if you do or do not, what are your thoughts on the subject? I've been thinking about taking my 4 year old grandson on a short ride with me. He loves sitting on the motorcycle in the driveway and I always tell him that I will take him for a ride when he is older.

I have been searching for information on child safety when it comes to children riding as a passenger on the back of a motorcycle. There is little on the subject and I can tell you that I cannot find any laws for child restrictions concerning motorcycles in the state of Virginia. Some states require that the child be older than the state's safety seat age which ranges from 5 to 8 years old.

I searched the Virginia state code (law) and could not find anything about children and motorcycles. I was looking for things such as age restrictions??? Protective equipment??? I emailed Virginia DMV and, after a couple of weeks, I received a response from an individual who informed me that he could not find any law governing children on motorcycles either. He directed me to the State Police because it would be the state level enforcement agency above the DMV.

Maryland has a page addressing it and the link is below. Simply put, Maryland DMV's approach is common sense. I won't bore you with the entire page but I did insert the part that I am in agreement with.

http://www.marylandmva.com/MVAProg/moto/child.htm

"When is a child old enough to ride a motorcycle? Common sense dictates the answer to this question. The child should be old enough to maintain body control and body support while on the motorcycle, be large enough to wear all of the required protective gear and be able to understand the basic concepts required when riding as a passenger. As with carrying an adult, the operator must immediately set the rules regarding mounting, dismounting and leaning."

"One piece of equipment suggested in some magazine articles is a C.R.V. Riding Belt (Children’s Recreation Vehicle Riding Belt). This belt enables small children to ride on the back of most recreational vehicles. While not sold as a safety device, it does allow the child to be attached to the operator through a system of straps. It may be especially useful if the child falls asleep or loses hold of the operator while riding."

I've researched the riding belts and came up with this link as one of the best for young children. Does anybody use this?

http://www.childridingbelt.com/engprod.htm

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #2

I took my son on a short ride (about 20 minutes) when he was about 5 y/o. He was OK on the bike, it was an HD Ultra, and he had a good backrest to help support him. However he was starting to get tired the last few minutes and was ready to doze off. He is 13 now and has gone on many all day rides the last 3-4 years with no problems at all. Ive never heard of the riding belts, they certainly seem like a good idea, and I would have used one had I known about them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #3

I have a 5 yr old. He's too small. I haven't cheked recently, but I remember from somewhere that in California, a child may legally ride as a passenger if they can reach the foot pegs or floorboards.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #4

I saw a guy on the freeway once with a kid smaller than the one in the photo. The kids head was bobbing and he was leaned over to the side and was obviously sleeping so I guess those riding belts work.

Personally, I would love to take my son on a ride with me but I would wait untill he's old enough to follow directions well and have the strength to hold on good too. (maybe 8 years old)

I saw another harley rider with his son with him. Had one of those kids belts. The kid looked about as old as the kid in the photo probably 3.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Took my grandson for a short ride aroung the block. He was 7 at the time. Could not reach the floorboards. He loved it but scratched my saddlebags with his shoes. So, the answer is that they are old enough when they can reach the floorboards and not scratch your bags.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

I used to take my daughter when she was younger....around 7-8 I guess... She loved it but I wouldn't take her anywhere but around our neighborhood. No way would I get out on a Highway at that age. Now she's 13 and loves it! I take her for rides all the time.

A budy of mine has a son around 5 I guess... and he'll take him for rides around the neighborhood too...but he uses a bungee cord to hold his son and himself together tight. Sounds kind of funny, but he says it works!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #7

I ride my grandson occasionally on the slow streets in the neighborhood behind my home. I know this won't sound very intelligent but he will be 3 years old in October! He dons his helmet, leather jacket, and blue jeans while I putt putt around the blocks no faster than idling in 2nd gear. He sits with his back against the rest and holds onto my shirt. He can't reach the grab rails. He wears no shoes to keep from scratching my bags. (Down here, you don't own a pair of shoes until you start school anyway). Here in Louisiana, their feet must reach the floorboards or pegs. I got a little nervous when I crossed a deputy one afternoon while Connor was riding with me. He just waved at us with a big smile. I can see that this little guy will want his own bike pretty early. I don't think my daughter will be too enthused about that idea.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #8

I told my grandson he could ride with me when he can sit normally and reach the boards.
check this out.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=nh

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #9

That is a great web site. I like how it breaks down the various laws that would be of intrest when taking a trip that crosses state lines.

The comments about kids on motorcycles are great and welcomed. I agree that riding with a child on 'high speed' interstate roadways or otherwise would be foolish. I would love to take my 'little buddy' with me but it would definitley be on low traffic and low speed roads. However, I think I am going to put off taking him with me until he is at least 5 years old.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #10

For me this is a complicated issue, that can be simplified by saying what I do, and what creeps me out that I see others do. And they are the same thing

In no traffic, very very slow speed conditions (dead end street family lived on), I've given nieces and nephews, who were very small, rides in front of me, legs on the tank.

I shudder to say it, and it makes me really creeped out when I've seen others doing it. Even though I've done it. If somebody asked me if it should be made legal vs illegal, I'd say illegal.

When I've seen others do it, I worry on their behalf too much. I wonder if the kids leg is going to dangle down on the header pipe. I wonder if the guy is a dork and is going to drop the bike trying to keep the kid on, stop, and get the side stand down, etc.

As far as older kids go, when my son was old enough to ride his own motorcycle, he couldn't touch the passenger floor boards on my bike. I took him for rides with the boards folded up, and his feet just resting on the tops of them in the folded position. I may have felt more comfortable knowing that he knew how to ride a motorcycle, and wouldn't be surprised by any of the sensations or movements. Again, I probably wouldn't like seeing others doing it, it would just make me uncomfortable.

It seems that the strap is a good idea, on the only long trip I took my son on, (he could reach the boards by then) he had a problem of getting sleepy. I had to keep making sure he was awake. It would have been less worry with that strap system perhaps.

So I'll admit to doing things that I hate seeing others do. I don't know if it is just that I trust my abilities to operate a bike, and I don't trust theirs, or if I'm just a great big hypocrite?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
I told my grandson he could ride with me when he can sit normally and reach the boards.
check this out.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=nh
Great link. I didnt know that in Colorado two bikes can ride side by side, not that I'll be doing it.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Took my daughter on a 75 mile trip to return her to her mother and she was well under 10 yrs old, of course she wore a helmet.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #13

I think waiting until they are big enough to reach footpegs/floorboards is a good rule of thumb, but I know I was riding as a passenger with my dad when I was far from being that big!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #14

I took my youngest one time when he was 8 years old.I would not do it again now that I am older.The reason is that I don"t think a rider would react the way he should when hauling a child. If you needed to lay the bike down or take a ditch I think one would hesitate, and the delayed reaction could have dire consequences.Just my two cents worth.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Top Contributor

years ago my brother-in-law used to take his daughter on the bike in town, she was 3-5 years old? He sat her on the edge of the tank and seat in front of him. She could not fall off because she was between his arms. That was until a local cop said no way she must be on the back. No fine just a warning.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.