Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Synthetic oil vs regular oil

I was at the kawa dealership today getting an oil filter for my 01 nomad and the guy at the parts desk said it's better to NOT use synthetic oil on the nomad (or any bike for that matter) because it doesn't work well with wet clutches. He recommended I use standard. I'd never heard this before. I always heard you should never go back to regular oil from synthetics as it will mess with seals and other things and it's not good but he said I should do 2 quick oil changes to get back to regular (one at 1,000 miles and the next at 3,000). Any truth to this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyetube View Post
I was at the kawa dealership today getting an oil filter for my 01 nomad and the guy at the parts desk said it's better to NOT use synthetic oil on the nomad (or any bike for that matter) because it doesn't work well with wet clutches. He recommended I use standard. I'd never heard this before. I always heard you should never go back to regular oil from synthetics as it will mess with seals and other things and it's not good but he said I should do 2 quick oil changes to get back to regular (one at 1,000 miles and the next at 3,000). Any truth to this?
Not much truth. As long as it doesn't contain "friction modifiers" or isn't labeled "energy conserving", synthetic oil is fine in a wet clutch system. Many folks here have logged thousands and thousands of miles using synthetic oil with no trouble. You can switch between dino and synthetic and back without a problem, too.

He probably just wanted to sell you a bunch of dino oil.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

A lot of people use synthetic with no problems. I have even seen labels on sythethetic motorcycle oil that say for use with wet clutches.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Almost no truth whatsoever.. The only synthetic to stay away from in the type that states, "extended service". those are the 0-30wt oils. As far as seals are he has it backwards. Non-synthetics tend to swell the seals more.. I put synthetics in my Nomad at 50 miles and have never looked back, never had a leak, never burns oil. Bike runs great...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Typical dealer BS.
I have run Rotella T-6 for years now in my 07. 68,000 miles and oil has never been a problem.
I don't do much of my own maintenance but I do oil changes.
When I go to the dealer for other stuff I am armed with the knowledge of the members here and tell the dealer what I want and how I want it done.
I don't stand there and watch them so they may still do it the way they want but I feel better and that's what counts.
Welcome to the forum.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyetube View Post
No truth. That guy is working a parts counter and is best suited to cross referencing databases and pulling stuff off shelves when it's in stock, ordering if it's not. That's it. No advice from this guy who is trying to sell you something based on ignorance.

Synth oil rocks. I use T6 as well and it's a game changer.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

NO truth in his statement.

Print this thread and show it to him.

24,000 miles on synthetic oil and no problems what so ever,
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #8

If synthetic oil is no good for "the Nomad or any bike for that matter", then you should ask him why Kawasaki markets and sells Kawasaki S4,a 100% synthetic oil and why they say the following about it? [ + ] Zoom

Kawasaki S4 oil is custom-formulated with two things in mind; performance riding and long engine life. When quality and lubricity is critical to reduce camshaft wear look no further than Kawasaki S4 motor oil.
Kawasaki S4 10W40 is designed to provide excellent protection and performance for engines used in competition, sport-bikes, cruisers and touring motorcycles. Kawasaki S4 10W40 offers high temperature protection yet has a low pour point of -39deg C.
Key Features
  • Superior friction reduction, increased efficiency
  • Excellent cold start up and warm up protection
  • Outstanding high RPM, high temperature protection
  • JASO 4T MA registered performance - Excellent wet clutch performance
  • Smoother shifting
  • Excellent protection against gear pitting
  • Increased valve train wear protection
  • Improved volatility, less oil consumption
  • Excellent high temperature deposit control
  • Better oxidation control
  • Excellent seal compatibility
  • Compatible with conventional oils and most synthetic lubricants
If none of this is true, I guess I've been doing it all wrong.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

That's exactly what I thought. I'm gonna have to go back and talk with him about the Kawa S4 oil! Why on earth would they make that if it wasn't good for m/c's?

The other thing that pissed me off was I was getting the oil filter and he asked if I had the paper one or not (he should've known from the parts manual). I told him, I wasn't sure as I've not had the bike long enough to change the oil (well, I have, I've just been lazy). So we walked out and looked at the bike (rather than look up the part like he should've done) and he told me I did have the paper one and that's the one I HAD to use (at a cost of about $14). He said getting a K&N filter (or any aftermarket filter for that matter) is not recommended. Some things he said were best used from the manufacturer and oil filters was one of them. Is this a crock of crap too?

I really hate dealerships sometimes because they just seem to feed you complete crap. I am SOOOO glad I found this forum and joined kawaNOW!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
That's why we are here!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #11

There are a lot of people running Wal Mart filters with no problem.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #12

I have come to realize you just cannot trust a dealership. My kickstand sags down a little (but not enough to be dangerous, just more than I like as I tend to really corner and I've hit it before) and I had 2 dealerships (one being this one) look at it and they both gave me different reasons as to the problem! I took it off and figured out what the problem was myself! oh well...

Just out of curiosity, what oil do you guy's typically use? I put Mobil 1 synthetic in the bike when I first got it when I changed the oil. It's kinda expensive and if there is something better (or as good as) at a cheaper price point, I'd buy it.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Yep, and I am one of them running the Walmart Filter. I have used T-6 Rotela for 1 year now and I have had NO problems what soever. Dealers are not very smart. The want money and don't care about customer confidence.

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven View Post
Yep, and I am one of them running the Walmart Filter. I have used T-6 Rotela for 1 year now and I have had NO problems what soever. Dealers are not very smart. The want money and don't care about customer confidence.
Is the Rotella cheaper than the Mobil 1? I already have 4 quarts of Mobil 1 so I'm gonna use them but for future reference...

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #15

Dyetube, maybe you should just change dealers.
Here are two other things to consider.
I have been running S4 in my bike since the first oil change after break in.
recommended by my dealer.
I friend I know who owns a Honda bike shop, hired as head mechanic last year a guy that he has known for years and has been trying to persuade him work for him. In conversation with this mechanic he told me he goes back to working on Kawas and Nomads in particular since the days of the POG and all the head aches they had with them. That statement means nothing other than to establish he Knows Nomads, but he did asked me if I ran synthetic oil in my bike and when I said yes, his reply was good man keep it up. This is not to promote one brand of synthetic over another, just to point out your dealer parts guy may be talking out of his a*ss.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 11-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.