Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

Swapping 1600 into an 03 1500cc Nomad

Hey all -

So, I've been poking through the forums, and it looks like quite a few people have done the swap from a 1500 to a 1600cc, assuming the basics line up (Fi engine to Fi bike, etc). I've got some questions as my 1500cc engine crapped the bed recently (transmission gears/dogs are worn/stripped), and recently scored on a very low mileage 04 1600cc Mean Streak engine, which is now sitting in my garage, in the process of being uncrated.

The reading I've done thus far suggests that the 1600cc mean streaks didn't have all the crazy changes that the 1500cc MS's did (larger throttle bodies, cams, etc), with exception of the gear ratio, which should make the swap somewhat standard, but it's left me with a couple of questions before I begin my work.

1 - Tuning. As has been noted several times in other threads, the 1600cc ECU and the 1500cc ECU have different connectors and pin-outs, so the possibility of just plugging a 1600 ecu into a 1500 ecu socket doesn't exist. So, my question is, being that my bike's ecu is mapped for a 1500cc engine, will I run into any issues when the 1600 goes in? I can only imagine it's going to be running lean with the difference in displacement, assuming it runs at all. Is a power commander all that's required to make it run right? Repeatedly in other threads, I see comments such as "it'll all swap right over" with regards to the swap in general, but I rarely see in-depth discussion about the differences in tuning based on the difference in displacement.

2 - This is more me just confirming, but I've read that the injectors of the 1500 need to be used in the 1600, as the 1600 has it's fuel regulator in the tank as a part of the fuel pump, as opposed to the 1500's, which have the regulators in the injectors themselves. Is this truly the case? Just making sure as my 1500 injectors are fine and should be able to be reused.

Lastly - 3 - The stator. I've heard that the Nomads had dual stator systems... Do anyone know if all Nomads had that setup? If so, I can only assume that the parts swap right over without hassle. Can that be confirmed?

Thanks - I know this has been a little lengthy, but wanted to throw this out there as I've been linked back to this forum several times hearing that this is not an uncommon swap, so I'm hoping to gain some clarity from people that know what they're talking about. :)
__________________________________________________ ____________

UPDATE: -> On thread page 3 - it's later discovered that the replacement engine ALSO had a bad transmission. Click here to jump to page 3.

Also, here's a link to a photo album that I'm using to keep track of the rebuild.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by colin; 04-17-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a photo album link