Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #31

Just got the call, $2,700.00 out the door and back on the road in a couple weeks. Whew . . .

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #32

What did they say went wrong?

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Just got the call, $2,700.00 out the door and back on the road in a couple weeks. Whew . . .
Indeed...what was the diagnosis?
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 06-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #34

What kind of warranty will they offer after the repair ?
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #35

Damn! My allowance would only let me trailer it back home and stick it in the garage until a later date. Good luck getting it fixed.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygene49 View Post
What did they say went wrong?
Front bevel gear bearing got loose in the case and chewed up some other stuff including the case. The case is reusable. Rebuild the trans with a new bevel gear assembly and Barnet MT25 spring. Parts should be hear in about a week. I didn't ask about warranty yet. The lead guy said he wasn't sure if performance mods and a car tire had anything to do with it, but that the trans is between all the extra torque. Guess I'll start riding more like a Granny.

I didn't tell them, but $3K was my "NO" line so it was close to not getting fixed.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
At least it is within your budget. I sure hope the repair turns out flawless.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #38

Really glad to hear you will back up and running.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
You mind explaining how it fails.
????

I rode with Mark just a few days before this disaster and his bike seemed problem free. Can someone please explain how this bevel gear fails...
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #40
Advanced Member

I wonder how much would have been if you stop riding it as soon you heard the noise

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
????

I rode with Mark just a few days before this disaster and his bike seemed problem free. Can someone please explain how this bevel gear fails...
Bearings just wear out over time, oil condition & volume, temperature, torque & load, all play a part in how long a bearing will last.
The thing is to replace it before it does a lot of damage. Mark rode his bike for another 182 miles after hearing the warning signs that something was wrong. Many times a noise is nothing and can be ignored for a while, other times it can lead to an expensive repair.
I'm sure had it been replaced in time, the bearing would have been minimal cost and damage to other parts. But thats hard to to do when your on the road far from home.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #42

Sorry to hear about your Bike troubles Mark.

"Don't play pig when the butcher's coming"

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #43

Whew a manageable cost. Glad to see you will be back on the road. I would ask for a break down on parts. Compare what your charged to actual cost for you to buy them. That can save you some change.

I have said this before in other threads but it bears repeating.

I know a Kawasaki dealer personally. His cost is considerably more on some parts then mr cycles in asheville. He just doesn't have the storage capacity to keep a lot of parts on hand or order bulk parts like mr cycles. I have him trained well now. If it's parts I need he makes me a parts list to check prices and order them myself if i want. I do not always do this but it can save you some money. This isn't a push for mr cycles, it is just who i check first. Use anyone you want. I only found out about them because of the luncheon at the national rally. Pays to associate yourself with out rallys

Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #44

A lot of the dealers around here won't put in parts they don't supply or at the very least will decline to offer any type of warranty on the work unless they supply the parts.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I wonder how much would have been if you stop riding it as soon you heard the noise
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Bearings just wear out over time, oil condition & volume, temperature, torque & load, all play a part in how long a bearing will last.
The thing is to replace it before it does a lot of damage. Mark rode his bike for another 182 miles after hearing the warning signs that something was wrong. Many times a noise is nothing and can be ignored for a while, other times it can lead to an expensive repair.
I'm sure had it been replaced in time, the bearing would have been minimal cost and damage to other parts. But thats hard to to do when your on the road far from home.
When I first noticed an odd "noise" it was just before Kanab, Utah. Nice little town, but not much going on after 5:00 pm on a Friday. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, but I looked things over and couldn't find anything wrong at the time. Checked the oil, the radiator, the fan, the brakes, tire pressure, wiggled the fenders and the lights, even the luggage straps. My wife was waiting for me in just 200 more miles at the Flagstaff Super 8, so I gassed up and proceeded with the idea that Grace was getting serviced as soon as I got home anyway. I'd just take it really easy on her the rest of the way home.

Things were not really "broken" until a few miles after the turnoff to the North Rim (not much there either). This was one of the roads we were on during the Rally, so I knew the road ahead. That's about where clutch failed. . . a few more miles the trans. I had to make the decision to keep going (knowing that it would cause more damage) or pull off the road (no shoulder, no street lights, no cell phone signal, and very little traffic) while the bike was still moving. (Not to mention that I was alone and unarmed in an area that some of the local residents might think that I was dinner) As long as I didn't have to shift or decelerate Grace was still running good. I had just gassed up and was already taking it easy, so I figured I could at least make the turn-off to the main highway and possibly a cell phone signal. When I got that far, there was no traffic and still no cell phone signal so I managed a down shift, made the corner, and kept going. I found out later that the smoke/oil leak was brake fluid from the broken clutch getting on the cross over pipe for the left side exhaust.

Grace really proved her name by getting me to the first available business with lights, people, and an "OPEN" sign before she died. I'm sure she could have gone further if she wasn't out of gas, but with no clutch I couldn't have gotten very far anyway. I've re-thought my decisions at least 100 times since, and I'd do the same with no regrets.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ