Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
I bought my lift this weekend thanks to the kick ass coupon BamaBrat sent me. I guess the next investment will be the adapter. Does it allow access to the oil screen and filter when lifted? The jack kind of defeats the purpose as it was blocking one of the 2 wherever I tried to position it when I changed the oil yesterday.
Glad I could help David. to answer your question... Haven't received or used my adapter yet (probably will arrive this week). Hopefully someone else can answer it. I'd like to know as well.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
Glad I could help David. to answer your question... Haven't received or used my adapter yet (probably will arrive this week). Hopefully someone else can answer it. I'd like to know as well.
Does not let you get to the screen with the adapter on the bike.
Also with the jack under the bike and you try to change oil using the oil drain plug there is no place to put a drain pan with a jack directly under that area.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #63
Advanced Member

That's weird, seems like an oil change has to be about the number one most common maintenance people perform on their bikes. I've had my Nomad coming up just on 3000 miles now and need to change oil/filter soon - guess I'll be squatting.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #64
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
That's weird, seems like an oil change has to be about the number one most common maintenance people perform on their bikes. I've had my Nomad coming up just on 3000 miles now and need to change oil/filter soon - guess I'll be squatting.
If you use the screen drain which is lower than the plain straight down oil drain you won't need a lift or anything but a 17mm wrench and a drain pan. maybe of the filter is on tight you might need to use a strap wrench.

I just lay down on cardboard to change engine oil.

The adapter is for lifting the bike for suspension work or engine removal work. I have a lay down creeper and a sit down creeper too, but for oil draining i use cardboard.

If this is your first time to change the oil Know that screen goes ONE WAY, but can be installed backwards.

You would want to know what's in the screen if anything. Then maybe check it every other oil or every other 3 oil changes.

The first oil change i did was the first one my bike got. That screen had paper bits, sealer mung and assorted crap. never again has the screen contained a thing.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #65
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
If this is your first time to change the oil Know that screen goes ONE WAY, but can be installed backwards.
Yep, thanks for that. Funny I've seen pics of the screen installed both ways, with the opening at the back or front...is there a "more" right way? I haven't had mine out yet, if the previous owner's only used the drain plug it may never have been out in it's 30k life...guess I'll find out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #66

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
I was able to find a plastic tray that was narrow enough to fit inside the jack so that I can drain the oil into that pan when the bike is in the air on the adapter/jack. You are right about the oil screen. It is near impossible to get out with the adapter in place. Mac is also right that it only needs to be checked and cleaned about every third oil change.

The adapter is great for removing wheels, gas tank, and other maintenance as well. Some guys store the bike upright on the jack/adapter all winter.

Thanks, Bud
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #67
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
Yep, thanks for that. Funny I've seen pics of the screen installed both ways, with the opening at the back or front...is there a "more" right way? I haven't had mine out yet, if the previous owner's only used the drain plug it may never have been out in it's 30k life...guess I'll find out.
Yeah ...... When i said one way it will fit both ways, but one way oil flows and the other way it won't a bit. So one way the engine will run with nice new oil a long time and the other way that oil won't get out of the pump and the engine will crash. Don't get it MIXED UP!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #68
Sr. Contributor

My bike is still on the lift till I get the rear head pipe fixed. I did cam chain extenders on the lift yesterday. MY Idaho Jack Adapter is blue

Thanks Mac....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #69
Advanced Member

Just ordered one, can't wait to lift my bike and get to work on it!

Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Yeah ...... When i said one way it will fit both ways, but one way oil flows and the other way it won't a bit. So one way the engine will run with nice new oil a long time and the other way that oil won't get out of the pump and the engine will crash. Don't get it MIXED UP!
Mac,so which is the right way for the filter,how can i tell if it's right or wrong.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #71
Top Contributor

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ump-oil-filter

The drawing shows the strainer (16097) has a flange at one end and also shows the correct assembly of the other parts.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ump-oil-filter

The drawing shows the strainer (16097) has a flange at one end and also shows the correct assembly of the other parts.
Thank's mate.I had mine out a couple of oil change's ago and never was sure if i put it back right,due another change about now so it will get a looking at.