Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Top Contributor

They are busy for a reason. They make the best seats available.
If you are not happy on a Daylong seat then no seat is going to work for you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #17

Question for those that have the daylong - any experience with the heavy-duty suspension? I am working on ordering this week. My wife and i are both right on the fence for the HD-suspension for the seat. Last spring I lost about 25 lbs and am hovering right around 230 right now. My goal is to lose around 20 lbs yet before riding season. Would you order the HD suspension? Russel suggest 230+ to get the HD suspension. Anybody without the HD suspension over 230?
Rest is stock (Currently)

Old 12-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
Advanced Member

I've loved my Mustangs, riding long days on them on two different bikes, and am always somewhat surprised when someone doesn't like them. I have one, with backrest, on my 07 Nomad.

With that said, they are not for everyone and the RDL is definitely the King/Queen of seats. I toured the plant years ago and their fabrication technology is second to none in my book.

Congratulations on your weight loss and while your intent is to continue shedding the pounds, it might go slower than you're plan, thus the HD is probably the way to go. If you do lose the weight, it doesn't mean that you're going to have an uncomfortable seat, and even if it take you a bit longer than you might like, the HD will give you many, many miles in comfort.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I've loved my Mustangs, riding long days on them on two different bikes, and am always somewhat surprised when someone doesn't like them. I have one, with backrest, on my 07 Nomad.

With that said, they are not for everyone and the RDL is definitely the King/Queen of seats. I toured the plant years ago and their fabrication technology is second to none in my book.

Congratulations on your weight loss and while your intent is to continue shedding the pounds, it might go slower than you're plan, thus the HD is probably the way to go. If you do lose the weight, it doesn't mean that you're going to have an uncomfortable seat, and even if it take you a bit longer than you might like, the HD will give you many, many miles in comfort.
Thanks! Yes the next 20 is much harder I have found already. I have plateaued since April/Mayish. But I lost most last year in the slow winter months so I'm hopin that's the case again.

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. It's only $45 on a $1k purchase. Not going to make too much of a difference.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:29 AM   #20

Hands down there is nothing like a Russel Day Long. I could not ride my Nomad for 45 minutes before I got Russel to do my seat. Now I can go all day long I never get a sore spot and if you as me it looks awesome on our big bore bikes.

They are the best the rest are just like the factory seats off the shelf nothing special to them. You get exactly what you pay for in life. Pay more get more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #21

If you are 230 lbs or more and your back seat person is 150 lbs or more get the HD suspension. You can also get it just for the drivers seat area, that is what I did.
I weighed 224 when I ordered mine and the HD suspension is good. I weigh 207 now and it is still G O O D.

Keep in mind it takes about 500 - 700 miles for the seat to break in.
Best money I ever spent.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
If you are 230 lbs or more and your back seat person is 150 lbs or more get the HD suspension. You can also get it just for the drivers seat area, that is what I did.
I weighed 224 when I ordered mine and the HD suspension is good. I weigh 207 now and it is still G O O D.

Keep in mind it takes about 500 - 700 miles for the seat to break in.
Best money I ever spent.
Thanks, That's what I was looking for. I think I'm planning HD on front and regular for the back.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebierguy View Post
Looking at your sig pic, it appears you don't have a drivers back rest. Do you wish you did? Or is that an old seat?
That is an old pic, without the backrest or new seat. I just bought the seat, and use a Custom World backrest. The backrest is ok, but not excellent like the seat. So far the setup works for me as is.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #24

I have had Russell seats on my last 2 bikes. I am a member of the Iron Butt Association and usually plan my trips for a 12 - 16 hour day. I have ridden as much as 33 hours straight. I do not even think about my seat being uncomfortable. I also have the backrest and love it.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post

I loved the Mustang's on my last two bikes, but on the Voyager it was no good. The shape just isn't the same, more convex than concave, and the passenger seat was too short, and too flat, so my passenger kept slipping forward into me over the bumps.

So now the Mustang is my "around town one-up" seat, while the RDL (a very much better seat) goes on for the longer trips.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 AM   #26

I have an RDL without backrest and not wanting one but I have a different style bike so take that into consideration. Good Luck.

They are spendy seats but make riding such a better experience I think they are worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #27

I submitted the form on Friday! They were off for the Holiday weekend, which is to be expected. Looking forward to getting my production date. My stock seat is already in a box. Ordered Black Vinyl, Half moon with drivers back rest and seat cover.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #28

Production date of 3/12/2018. Just in time for riding season.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebierguy View Post
Production date of 3/12/2018. Just in time for riding season.
Dropped the seat off with UPS on Friday! Should be in CA in a week or less. Looking forward to getting the seat back from Russel!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #30

The Russel is in and on the bike! Can't wait foe this snow to melt and the driveway to dry up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk