Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have bought the above for my driving lights. They produce a better beam I believe and a better light. They are a pure white light led. Cost was $55.99 Canadian and will be a bunch less actually a give away in USA. They are 4.5 inch and I really like these. You can not use a visor with these at all.

Dave
Just ordered. One thing they will help with is electrical draw. I didn't like the installation method with and should have come up with something different. It calls for tapping into the wire for the main headlight which is quite a draw on that small of gauge wire. When install the spotlight LEDs I'll also install the LED headlamp kit that's been sitting on my workbench for about a year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #17

Hey Eppic2, sorry for the delay, just noticed your post the other day, been quite busy. After original post I took a closer look at my lights and I don’t have the sealed beam but rather a bulb that can be replaced with an LED which I think DL figured out before I did. I have not had the time to look for an LED with the correct connector but plan to do so this wknd. Will post the before and after when/if I do. I really like my headlight modulated and I don’t think they like the LED to be modulated so I am eager to see the diff with LED driving lights and halogen headlight. Part of the fun. Merry Christmas, be safe.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:18 AM   #18

Yea Mike would say that will decrease your draw allot for sure. LED's just take nothing really to operate as you know so well. I sure like them better than any standard bulb. I wish I could convert my signal lights but cannot as that will mess up the self cancelling feature on my 1700. Such a shame.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:12 AM   #19

More on Cree LEDs & chucksters bar lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Hey Eppic2, sorry for the delay, just noticed your post the other day, been quite busy. After original post I took a closer look at my lights and I don’t have the sealed beam but rather a bulb that can be replaced with an LED which I think DL figured out before I did. I have not had the time to look for an LED with the correct connector but plan to do so this wknd. Will post the before and after when/if I do. I really like my headlight modulated and I don’t think they like the LED to be modulated so I am eager to see the diff with LED driving lights and halogen headlight. Part of the fun. Merry Christmas, be safe.
Hi adhthept. Thx for getting back to me. I agree, the closer we get to Christmas the busier we can become. This may be old news to you already, but I will tell you the info that Joe from Chucksters shared with me: in regards to specific led Cree lights, “I know some have changed to styles like these”...and then he referenced this link: lightinthebox.com , High Power H3/H1 25 W 2000LM Cool White Light/5-Cree LED. The bulb in his supplied bar light setup is an H3. That’s all I know in terms of first hand knowledge as to what works. As I said earlier, I am looking for a “1st hand” success story on a swap and have not yet found a review from a customer on Amazon to verify. I hope to hear a success story from you!
Up here in Manitoba, it is on the cold side tonight...-20 F. and yes, I am keeping warm and safe. Merry Christmas 🎄 Have a good holiday and happy LED hunting.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Oops. Got the LED bulbs and they do not fit so I'm out $40.

I removed the light ring and saw a problem right away. The Cobra is a sealed light, and not a removable bulb with a very thin lip that affixes to the ring with clips, much like a Harley headlight assembly, which is probably common. The problem is that the Cobra light is very thin, about 1/32 inch or so while the LED ring is fairly thick, thus the retainer clips obviously won't work. The Cobra bulb has one hot lead that goes to the switch with the ground being to the light bar I believe. The LED has a positive and negative leads that go to a fairly substantial quick disconnect plug. If it fit I'd just cut the ground at the light, install a waterproof spade connector like the one the Cobra has and have LED spotlights.

I guess one can make anything work but I was thinking it was a directly replacement -Not. I don't like MacGivering anything so will these LEDs off to a Harley rider friend, of whom I have many.

Oh well, live and learn. This won't be the first time.

I have an H4 LED for the headlight on my workbench so will install that. It looks to be a direct replacement, easy install.

Edit: My Indian riding friend stopped by today and I pulled the light to show him. Much to my surprise I saw that the lights have a removable bulb.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Navigator; 01-01-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
I wish I could convert my signal lights but cannot as that will mess up the self cancelling feature on my 1700. Such a shame.
on my '05 800 I have no driving lights, just the turn signals with amber lenses, can I install leds in those in the front to make the running light portion brighter? I am pretty sure I saw somewhere they make bright 1157 led clusters with built-in load equalizers