Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Brothers new bike

Halfway through a bottle of "Who hit John",the phone rings.It's my brother,Can you come and help me get a bike off the trailer.Fuck sake,yes,give me an hour.It's pissing down with rain,and just above freezing,but i go anyway.Here's what he got. A proper "Barn find"

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Not bad, is that the 650 model? It looks pretty well complete, you will have to show us some pics when it gets all cleaned up and running.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

Yes mate,it's a 1973 Tiger 650 with the bread bin tank.Ugly as they come.It's a low mileage bike,that's been sat in some blokes shed since 1987.My brother was just going to sell it on,but i am trying to talk him into restoring it.I reckon with an export tank & side panels,high level pipes,knobbly tyres,and a few other mods,it would make a really nice street scrambler. Many bottles of "Who hit John"need to be consumed,while i persuade him to do the right thing.

He did a really good on the Norton/Matchless,but was too caught up in keeping it original.This Triumph is an ugly bike that needs changing

Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Looks like an excellent "project". Hopefully it won't take much to get going.

I completed my last project (05' Roketa GK25 buggy that had sat for the last four years) about a month ago and sold it about two weeks ago. Just bought another project (99' Ford Mustang) that only needs little stuff and a paint job. I've got to stay busy somehow.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

I reckon drain the oil,and give it a flush,take the carbs off and clean them,and she will fire up mate.It was a runner when the bloke parked it up 30yrs ago,so there cant be much wrong with it.Next job will be mine,he is going to need an extension on his shed to work on it.Her indoors, is going to be losing a fair bit of her lawn.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
Looks like an excellent "project". Hopefully it won't take much to get going.

I completed my last project (05' Roketa GK25 buggy that had sat for the last four years) about a month ago and sold it about two weeks ago. Just bought another project (99' Ford Mustang) that only needs little stuff and a paint job. I've got to stay busy somehow.
When i was a young bloke,a mate had a black Mustang.Rare as rocking horse shit over here at the time. If i remember correctly,it had a 351 Cleveland engine.Mullet haircuts,gold bracelets,and flaired trousers,we were the boys,cruising about in that thing. It would go like hell in a straight line,but scare the shit out of you on a bend

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2a/df/46/2...g-fastback.jpg

Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Top Contributor

That bike needs a lot of work to make it half decent. I would get it running and sell it on if it were me. I just don't have the patience for a project like that especially knowing that even when new it was not that great of a bike. The money to restore that bike to pristine condition would buy a very nice reliable fuel injected Japanese bike, or a modern Triumph.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
That bike needs a lot of work to make it half decent. I would get it running and sell it on if it were me. I just don't have the patience for a project like that especially knowing that even when new it was not that great of a bike. The money to restore that bike to pristine condition would buy a very nice reliable fuel injected Japanese bike, or a modern Triumph.
I know what you are saying mate.They are not the most desirable Triumph.But any classic vehicle is making good money over here at the moment.Nobody is keeping money in the bank anymore,at 0.5% interest,why would they.Apart from that,he aint motivated by money,he just loves building anything mechanical,especially old bikes.He will turn that old bag of shit,into a real pretty bike.And enjoy every minute of it.It might take a while though,he aint the sort of bloke you can rush

Old 12-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Top Contributor

If he enjoys every minute of doing restorations that is all that matters.
Looking at the Matchless/Norton he restored he will do a great job of it.

I have friends in the U.K that have vintage bikes. One has a restored Norton ES2 and the other has 1932 Sunbeam model 9 that he is restoring.

Last edited by redjay; 12-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #10

I am just trying to find somewhere local,to store the Norton/Matchless for him.He aint got enough room to do the Triumph with it in his shed.My other brother wants to buy the Triumph,but i cant have the wealthy, money grabbing bastard, taking it for next to nothing,and making the $'s out of it.