Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 03-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #1

calling all east texas nad riders

I am trying (key word) to figure out doing my own maintenance. I intend to do the rear tire change and swing arm lube. I have ordered a tire and am lookin to see if there is any other parts, seals, gaskets etc. that i might need. I am a full time bike rider so have to have it right the first time LOL. Any suggestions or help will be graciously accepted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2

Just take your time and don't get in a hurry. When doing the reassembly check everything twice. Be sure to watch which direction the tapered spring is between the drive shaft and rear end. Be very careful not to lose the pin in the drive shaft. This would also be a good time to change the rear end grease if needed. And you might consider installing the swing arm grease zirk so you won't have to tear it down again. And when mounting the tire on the rim be sure you double check the rotation arrow on the tire and get the rotation correct. This can be a very time consuming mistake if you have to take the tire off and remount it. I don't know how many miles you have on the bike but now is a good time to take a look at the brake pads. I also made a spread sheet for my bike that I keep on the computer and record all of my maintenance.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #3

Good luck warden.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

who is warden?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #5

I have changed my own rear tire but I havent done the swing arm maintenance yet. I need to do it as I have 8k miles on my 07.

Where in east Texas are you coloradontexas? Maybe there is interest in a Nomad maintenance get together.

I have a 3000 sq ft garage with tools, just 3 miles from I-35W near Alvarado, TX, and few miles south of Fort Worth.

(I also have a craftsman motorcycle jack & Nomad jack adapter)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

that would be great. I am about two hours from alvarado in palestine, but my rear tire aint going to make it that far. I have cord showing all the way around the middle of the tire. However, in the future that would be awesome to be able to get together and do some work on the nads. Hopefully i can get it done. I ordered my tire and need to find out what seals i need. I found oil seals for the swing arm on j and p cycles, but not sure if that is what is needed.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #7

I have an antique tire machine that I used to break the tire bead on my rim. It worked good. On the swingarm, I doubt the seals need to be replaced. After all, the seals are NOT under pressure. You might want to check out this swingarm thread. It helped me understand it better. Yet, I still need to do my swingarm though.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/.... 2-22-07-a.html

Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradontexas
who is warden?
Thought you work for dept of corrections, so I put you in charge. :) My mistake.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

LOL Skeeter, Your right, i work for the TDCJ, I just didnt get it, LOL. I will take charge till something goes wrong, then i'll blame the wife. LOL.
I have a guy in town that will swap the rubber but wont balance for ten bucks. I think i will try the dyna beads. Anyone have any input on that?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Everyone sez that's the way to go, dyna beads.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #11

Everyone says thats for sure, but have anyone used them? How much?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #12

Go to search at the top, type in Dyna Beads and you will get all the information you are looking for.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #13

I used them. They work good. They are so light in weight they are little difficult to put in after tire is installed.

I put some beads in the front tires of my one ton truck after it developed alittle shimmey. Problem solved.