Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Graphic Scooter Crash

I don't know if any of you have seen this video or not but I believe it is an excellent example of a dynamic crash and the role the law of mass plays in the event.

It is a graphic video involving a crash between a car and a scooter. Scooter has the right-of-way (green light) and car has the red light. There would be little difference if it had been a motorcycle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

Graphic Scooter Crash

I have seen it before.....ouch!
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 03-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Graphic Scooter Crash

cager's fault light was red!
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

Graphic Scooter Crash

I like to see cross-traffic stopped before entering an intersection, or keep a close eye on any that is not, but not always possible and sure wouldn't fault this guy.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Graphic Scooter Crash

I too try to keep an eye out for traffic on the cross street but sh*t happens.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Graphic Scooter Crash

Quote:
I like to see cross-traffic stopped before entering an intersection, or keep a close eye on any that is not, but not always possible and sure wouldn't fault this guy.
I try to be aware of everything around me all the time, even if it is a few steps in the link away from hitting me.

For example, car stopped at intersection up ahead on the right, wanting to pull out into traffic. If he does, car on my right just ahead (multi lane) might pull into my lane. That's what I mean by a few steps before being a problem.

I even out of habit look both ways on one way streets and rail road crossings with crossing arms.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #7

Graphic Scooter Crash

Quote:
[quote:lj94cjs0]I like to see cross-traffic stopped before entering an intersection, or keep a close eye on any that is not, but not always possible and sure wouldn't fault this guy.

I even out of habit look both ways on one way streets and rail road crossings with crossing arms. [/quote:lj94cjs0]

I have a good friend who got creamed when pulling out from shopping center to the median turn around to then go left with traffic. She looked left and when it was clear went.....unfortunately a little old lady was driving down the divided hwy on the wrong side....she had turned into the wrong side of the divided hwy just a a block back when making a left turn at another intersection. My friend has a lot of trouble with artheritis now from all the broken bones received back then.

Ever since then I made the habit.... if divided hwy when ready to go across to divide in middle as oncoming traffic clears I take a quick glance to righto make sure nobody is coming down hwy the wrong way!
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #8

Graphic Scooter Crash

My wife and I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and went for an extended ride this afternoon to check out our Scala Rider Team Headset intercom system. The intercom was awesome and we enjoyed having clear voice conversations on it.

We had one close call during the ride. A DWO driver (elderly lady) actually passed us on the left after we started out from a red light. She would have had to have been blind not to have seen us. She changed lanes about 50 yards past the light with us in the lane next to her. I had to brake hard to avoid getting run off the roadway. A elderly gentleman was in the passenger seat and I know for a fact that he seen us because I had made eye contact with him. I am astonished that he did not alert her to our presence. It was an excellent example that we have to be the ones on who are forever on our guard as defensive riders.

Another quick note...REMEMBER to CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES before riding. Mine were both down about 6 psi. I also placed my shocks at 20 psi each and placed the rebound on setting number 2. I noticed the difference in the feel of the Nomad and these settings made for a smooth ride.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #9

Graphic Scooter Crash

We have to be defensive 100% of the time we are on the bike.Many times someone will look right at you and then either cut you off or turn in front of you. And as we all know, on a bike it is easy to be dead right.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #10

Graphic Scooter Crash

I watched it several times........ his landing ON the car after being thrown in the air may well have saved his life.

I was trying to tell if the bike was already braking as he entered the intersection.....

The car driver braked hard a he saw the bike... I don't know if that made it better or worse!?

Old 03-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #11

Graphic Scooter Crash

He certainly hit hard, but I agree with Nico that the landing on the roof on hood saved him from a lot worse injury's. Although I bet he was still pretty banged up.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #12

Graphic Scooter Crash

You are right Nico. The car was a much better place for his head to hit than the roadway surfaces. I have seen pedestrians hit by a car whose fatal blow was not from the first impact (contact with the car) -- it came from the second impact with objects such as the road or pole or curb or tree. EXCELLENT POINT.