In Association with VBA Web : Memorial | Merchandise

Important Info : Please Read!
If this is your first visit to our new forum (est. 9.20.11) and you're already registered on the old forum, you'll have to request a new password in order to log in here. To do so, please Click Here and fill in the proper info. You must use the email address that you originally registered with on the old forum. You will then be emailed a new password (if you don't see it, please check your spam/junk folder). If you have any problems at all, please email us at mail@VulcanBagger.com. Thanks!

Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic > Lighter Side/Jokes
Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

Thumbs Up Not sure where to post it, trying to talk myself into or out of it!

I am hoping that between the act of writing this and some well reasoned comments, I will find the clarity I seek.
I have a 2001 1500 Classic that I have owned for about 4 years now. Between work and being out of the country a good bit, it has spent more time the garage than I ever intended. I did add a few farkels to it and am generally happy with the bike. It's not new, but it is mine and looks pretty good for a 20 yr old bike. I put LED lights on, new saddle bags and a few other goodies. It has about 40K miles, and a slight valve knock that my mechanic tells me the only real way to fix is to replace or rebuild the motor. The past 6 months to a year it has started to really show the age a bit with repairs (it has a carb not injected) and my stupidity last winter was an expensive lesson in how NOT to winterize a bike. The biggest complaint I have is the damn seat is very uncomfortable and I need to get a different one.
I tell you all of that to tell you this. This winter as I was sitting in quarantine hotel in Hong Kong for 2 weeks, I got it into my head that instead of spending money on the seat, probable major engine work, etc. I should just get a newer bike. I looked at a newer model of mine, but really like the Yamaha FJR 1300. Good for me that I wasn't at home, because I am sure I would have dropped $8-10,000 on a different bike. Over the past month or so, I am starting to think maybe it is better to stash that money away and just keep what I have got. I really want to do some extended trips this year and have 8 weeks until I will be retired, and Mrs. Sky has decided she likes riding with me. We went on a trip along the Skyline Dr. last fall and all she could say was how much fun it would be on the bike. I'be been looking for a folding trailer to pull it with us, but so far haven't had any luck. If i decide to hang onto the Classic, which is the way I am leaning now, my next project is the seat, probably either a Russel or Corbin. If the Daytona show happens this year, maybe I can talk to the reps there. I suspect this is as crazy as it sounds, but I suspect there are more than a few of us that have faced similar decisions, I am curious what you decided and how it worked out. One thing for sure, there are no guarantees either way. I appreciate any comments you have, even those that point our how big an idiot I am for wasting your time posting this missive.
Best,
Sky