Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

looking for some one to trust

Hi every one...what a great group to belong to and than I s for letting me be apart of it....now on to my question.....i just traded off my 2007 vn2000 ...yes a very sad day but I traded her for a 2012 1700 nomad....which I love....but I would love to find some one to give the motor the once over....it's got a power command? And a thunder intake with cobra tri ovals?....i would say it's quick but it likes to studder alittle bit and smells like gas at times ...since I know nothing about power command I'm looking for some help....some one I can trust...I live in spring green wi....if there is any one out there who has a shop I could bring it to to have it gone over would be great....ok that's enough for my first post.......thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #2

I can give it the once-over from all the way down here... It's a 1700 motor, so it's good!

Just start reading this forum, and you'll find all the stuff you should be looking for or doing to your bike. Pulling the Power Commander (referred to around here as a "PCV") and having your ECU re-flashed by Ivan instead would be a great start, and you won't see quite the drop from the performance you probably fondly recall from the VN2K. Making sure your belt isn't over-tensioned is also an excellent idea. Kaw spec is too tight. There's a recall for wiring which can get worn through under the ignition (I fixed mine myself).

Otherwise, you've chosen a fine bike... Welcome to the VBA!

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Jimmy sounds like you are looking for a trustworthy shop. (?) Those can be hard to find,
when you find one, help keep it in business. I asked everybody on a bike where they had
there work done. One name came up repeatedly, I used him for 25 years.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Last edited by Loafer; 11-02-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Wish I could help on the shop. I do have one that I'd avoid if you are ever in the DFW area.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Try Vetesnik Power Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjimmychef View Post
Hi every one...what a great group to belong to and than I s for letting me be apart of it....now on to my question.....i just traded off my 2007 vn2000 ...yes a very sad day but I traded her for a 2012 1700 nomad....which I love....but I would love to find some one to give the motor the once over....it's got a power command? And a thunder intake with cobra tri ovals?....i would say it's quick but it likes to studder alittle bit and smells like gas at times ...since I know nothing about power command I'm looking for some help....some one I can trust...I live in spring green wi....if there is any one out there who has a shop I could bring it to to have it gone over would be great....ok that's enough for my first post.......thanks
Give Vetesnik PowerSports a try in Richland Center, Wi. They have tons of stuff. While I've never had service done there - I have visited their store several times while visiting Wisconsin.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Welcome from Northern California!

Congrats on the new ride and I second the ECU reflash while removing the PCV.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

Welcome to the Forum. I'm in Racine & also have a '12' Nomad. Msg. me your Email address & I will send you the maps I'm using. I see you are not far from Boscobel. VROC. has a rally there every June, you can meet people who have the same bike & talk to them about what setting work for them.