Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #16

99% sure it's time to say goodbye

I also wouldn't hurry to sell it yet either. I had to go for therapy on my shoulder last year, and mind you I didn't have an operation, but after a short while I was able to use the bike, with no problems at all. I even went snowmobiling once and that did aggrevate it a bit, but felt ok the next day. If you ride easy, I cant see why you couldn't go on some small jaunts around home.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #17

Not to mention you just can't get the money for your bike right now with the current economy. I tried to sell mine last fall (I was going for a newer one) and folks just weren't going for them. I was still well into the riding season.

As someone who has watched family dealing with debilitating surgeries I'll say this: Just prior to the surgery, it always seems darkest. Once it is over and you start the rehab, you will visualize doing those things that bring you joy and happiness. Suddenly a year has passed and you want to get on that bike. Your wife will understand. Hook up the Battery Tender, pour the Stabil in a full tank, put a cover on both of them, and they'll be ready for you when your healthy.

Good Luck with you and your family.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #18

Best to you and FYI, I had SS late December, and now riding a couple of hundred miles a day. Do the PT, and especially stretching exercises with strength conditioning. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #19

I am not tryng second guess your doctor but my friend just went through 2 shoulder surgeries and was back riding within 8 months.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #20

Park it where you can see it and make it your goal to get back on it..... never say never and never give up.
My wife had both her legs crushed in an car accident in 1988, they said she would never be able to walk right again if ever.... they didnt know my wife, took 3 months of pain and drive to get walking again.. but she did and she's still walking today, so their projection was off by quit a bit.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA
Park it where you can see it and make it your goal to get back on it..... never say never and never give up.
My wife had both her legs crushed in an car accident in 1988, they said she would never be able to walk right again if ever.... they didnt know my wife, took 3 months of pain and drive to get walking again.. but she did and she's still walking today, so their projection was off by quit a bit.
Now that's damn good advice right there.
Also glad to hear your wife had the determination to work through the pain and is fine now.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #22

Thanks... she is a keeper

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #23

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your shoulder. I hope you don't make a decision based on feeling discouraged or overwhelmed by your surgery and the impending recovery time. Consider preserving your options: If you keep the Nomad, you still have the option to sell it later if you need to; the bike may provide motivation during your recovery; storing two bikes won't keep you much busier than storing one (you obviously already have a place for both of them); if you are making payments, you can be in a position to have a lower balance with a well preserved bike. Remember, Kawasaki doesn't make them like your's anymore. The other one percent may be worth considering.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #24
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

tkd,
I haven't got anything to say that hasn't been said already. If money isn't part of the issue and it doesn't sound like it is. Keep the bike. You will ride again. Know it,... believe it,... and you will.
For encouragement though let me say this....
I had a back injury a long time ago, that required surgery. After following the surgeons recovery schedule my back was like a dog's hind leg, and "they" said "if it wasn't any better by then, it wasn't going to get any better". And I could forget about riding a motorcycle. In fact he suggested doing some "carpentry work" on the facet joints. Ya right!!! That's when I said I was going to do it MY WAY. I was back on my Virago within 3 months and riding it every day the weather allowed, to the Workers Compensation Board rehab clinic. My "W.C.B." adjudicator couldn't believe her eyes the first day she saw me ride into the parking lot. That was 20 years ago and other than the odd twinge from time to time. I haven't looked back.
So I've rambled on here long enough but tkd, never say never. Good luck with your decision. You'll make the right choice for yourself.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Remember TKD, you have one of those rare 1600, they ain't making anymore. i would advise to hang tight and see. Ive had 4-5 surgeries and on one a abdominal sugery I was in the flower bed hoeing weeds 2 days later(against dr advice), Im bull headed after surgeries that way. if you want it bad enough, you will ride!! Good Luck bro.