Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #16

question on car tire option for the rear

Pablo, maybe it's not all the tire's fault.Did you ever check for slop on the swingarm?

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=3484

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Ok, thats a nice looking tire!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Pablo, maybe it's not all the tire's fault.Did you ever check for slop on the swingarm?

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=3484
I pushed and pulled on it some, but didn't have the correct procedure. Thanks for the link. It may have not been the tire or the swing arm. The road was two lane and dished out in the tire tracks with a hump in between. The occellation stopped when I slowed down to below 95, but it was real exciting for a few seconds; not something I would like to repeat. Except for this incident, the tire has been steady as a rock. I have been able to go a quarter of a mile down the interstate at 80 with no hands on the bars and could have gone farther but got tired of just sitting there.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #19
Advanced Member

One other thing - the tire pressure makes a lot of difference. If I put more than 26 lb. in, the bike gets squirrelly (sp?). I keep it at about 26 lb., but when the mechanic at American Iron Horse installed the tire he put it at 24.5 lb. When he test drove it, he said the the bike was smooth as glass even up over 110 mph. At that air pressure it feels a little spongy in back to me, but maybe I need to reduce the pressure a little.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #20

It wouldn't hurt the tire to run it at 24. It's probably designed to take at least 3 times the weight you're putting on it. The balance between front and rear pressures is important too. Too much or too little bias one way or the other can mean twitchy handling. But on a road like you describe, twitchy handling is virtually a given.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #21

Hey Pablo,

I like the looks of the tire on your bike. I have the same exact bike as you Black 07. I have around 7300 miles on mine, and the wear bars are starting to show.

Questions are: What manufacturer of the tire? Any porblems installing ? Please fill me in on your honest opinion, I would like a tire to last more than one season of riding, expense plus the hassle of changing a tire.

Terbear

Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #22
Advanced Member

The tire is an Achilles ATR Sport 195/55 R16. I got it from www.tires-easy.com . It cost about $51 plus shipping. It has a recessed bead that allows the sidewall to stay more upright on the Nomad rim. I had it installed at American Iron Horse in Huntsville, TX. Which cost me about $74 for labor. I didn't remove the wheel so the mechanic had to do all the work.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #23
Advanced Member

I watched them put the new tire on the rim. They used a standard tire shop machine to take the old tire off and put the new one on. I didn't see anything unusual. It popped into place just like it was supposed to. They put it on the dynamic balance machine, and it was close enough that it didn't need any balance weights. The mechanic said that was a first. None of us thought that it would fit on the bike, but it slid in (uninflated) and has about 1/16" clearance between the sidewall and swingarm on the left side. It probably depends on the tire, but I don't think you can go wider than 195 on the Nomad.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Hi Pablo, a guy I know here in Canada just had a Dunlop SP5000 195-60-16 put on his 06 Nad. Likes it so far. Hoping to get lots of miles out of it.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Mine has about 2500 miles on it now and still looks brand new.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Ok Pablo we know you kicking our butts with mileage!!! Glad it's been good for you. Someday...........

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005