Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Trying to install the audiovox cruise control

I'm trying to install the audiovox cruise control and I'm having a difficult time deciding which hose is the vacuum hose that I am suppose to cut and put the T join on. According to the picture on the gadget page for tghe 1600 and the picture on page 3-94 of the manual it looks like the same hose that I capped off when I did chucksters intake. The bike has been running fine with chucksters intake, so I assume that is correct, but is that really the hose that I'm supposed to connect to the vacuum canister?

Please help out guys. I have my bike in parts and I need to get it back in working order for my friday trip to Cortez! Thanks!!

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

If I didn't just fill my tank last night, I'd pull the tank off and take a picture for you.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

Take a good look on Gadgets instructions, it shows it well there. Id pull my tank as well but I too just filled it also.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Here's a picture of the vacuum switch and the hose. Rather than cutting the hose going from the vac sw to the throttle body, I just removed it and put the tee in the end. Then cut a short piece of tube to go from the tee to the switch.

The vac switch is above the front cylinder on the left side.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Also, here are the links to the threads covering the AudioVox install by Cactusjack and myself:

CJ's
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7861

Mine
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7861

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

15's and 16's have 2 vac ports. The cali bike uses the other one to the carbon canister, so on the other lower 47 state bikes that port is capped off. I am not sure where either take vac from, but they are so close the must be similar.

I have no idea it knowing there is 2 ports will make life easier or not.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
Here's a picture of the vacuum switch and the hose. Rather than cutting the hose going from the vac sw to the throttle body, I just removed it and put the tee in the end. Then cut a short piece of tube to go from the tee to the switch.

Is yours a Cali bike? Mine is and I think that may be one of the reason for the confusion.

Also, both the links you gave are to CJ's post.

Also, how did you guys wire it up? If I want to power it through the rear brake light, how do I know which to splice into?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
15's and 16's have 2 vac ports. The cali bike uses the other one to the carbon canister, so on the other lower 47 state bikes that port is capped off. I am not sure where either take vac from, but they are so close the must be similar.

I have no idea it knowing there is 2 ports will make life easier or not.
I think I am using the one that went to the carbon canister. That is why it is blug off, because I removed the filter a long time ago. This should be okay to use as a vacuum, right?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

[quote=Utah Motorcyclist]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yellow Jacket":dt6khvai

Is yours a Cali bike? Mine is and I think that may be one of the reason for the confusion.

Also, how did you guys wire it up? If I want to power it through the rear brake light, how do I know which to splice into?[/quote:dt6khvai]

You don't power it through the brake light. The brake light connection is to disengage it when you apply the brakes. You could maybe power it from the taillight circuit, I'm not sure how many amps it draws, though.

Brake light wire is BLUE
Taillight is RED

If you check at the taillight wiring harness connector (where it plugs into the main chassis harness) using a meter or test light, the taillight circuit is the only hot pin with the key turned on, the brake pin will read high when either brake lever is actuated.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist

Also, how did you guys wire it up? If I want to power it through the rear brake light, how do I know which to splice into?
No, mine is not a Cali bike. To wire it up follow the directions on Gadgets page at:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/electronic_cruise.htm

P.S. Here's the correct link to my install post:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7951

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Cruise would just get me dead quick in NH.

There are 2 vac pots, one goes to the medusa head and runs, or ran the reed valves pod (the medusa head) which is/ was located under the tank centrally above, and more or less between the jugs.

The other all Nomad have either with vac tubing on a cali bike or capped off for all the rest.

I am not sure where the vac ports pick up vac. I think both are in a similar location, so pick up a similar vacuum. I don't 'know' that, I just think so.

Both ports are brass fittings on the throttle body, just behind the throttle plates. Since they are in a similar place it wouldn't make sence was is deeper behind the throttle plates. Then for some reason i wouldn't know more drilling a passageway would need to have taken place.

On other engines vac ports arelocated in other places deeper back in intake manifolds for a variety of reasons. That isn't the case on Nomads.

If both tubbings were intact, you could "T" into either one so far as i can tell. So long as the install has no vac leaks and no place else does vac is just vac.

Since I don't and won't have cruise, I am just making mention that there is a choice of where to pick up vacuum. These other guys with cruise will be the better help.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #12

I've sent this to Bob, but I figure may as well post it on here and see what everyone has to say.

Okay, let me see if I can explain everything and possibly you can tell me where I went wrong.

First off, my bike is a Cali bike and the vacuum hose you (Yellow Jacket) posted a picture of doesn't exist on my bike. I'm not too sure what that means, but I currently have the vacuum hose connected to the same hose that connected to the emissions charcoal box. I've been told that is a vacuum hose as well. I need to double check and make sure.

All my wiring looks to be correct. I have the switch powered by the same power source as my light-bar, in my head light bucket. When I turn the key, the switch lights up and so I assume that is correct. I have it grounded to a bold at the bottom of the light-bucket.

My servo unit I have powered by the tail lights. When I look at the LED on the servo, it blinks when I hit set, resume, and my brakes. I assume that means everything is correct, right?

When I went for a test run the lights were lit, but it did not "set" the cruise control. Nothing happened. I thought that there may be a chance the my vacuum canister is linking so I put a bead of silicone around the base of the two brass pieces.

Does it sound like I have done things correctly? Do you have any guess why it does not seem to be working correctly? I sure wish I didn't have a Cali bike. It's much easier to follow everyone else's instructions when we all have the same bike...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #13

If all else fails, change the ground wire location.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Cali bikes do have the reed valve tubing to the right if you are standing on the right looking down about 2 inches over. Try getting on that vac port.

Did you take off the vac pod with all the hose to the reed valves? Did you take off the reed valve bodies and install coaster plates?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #15

Wouldn't the lights not be working if the ground was bad?